I never really played with the camera function till today when we had a helicopter land outside the hospital -- Does the camera suck this bad or am I missing a command/function?

I can zoom but without focus.

No focus. None.
    06-19-08 03:27 PM
    The picture on the camera when zoomed will naturally not be as clear.

The zoom is only a digital zoom... so things far away are not easily focused on. That would be really advanced for a phone to auto-focus. Sorry
    06-19-08 03:32 PM
    The picture on the camera when zoomed will naturally not be as clear.

The zoom is only a digital zoom... so things far away are not easily focused on. That would be really advanced for a phone to auto-focus. Sorry
    Yeah but man, my last cell phone I could at least zoom in a take a recongizeable pic. My motorola cell pics are at least twice as sharp as my curve's. The zoom is pretty much worthless because it makes all the pics even more fuzzy than the originally fuzzy pic
    06-19-08 03:38 PM
    I retract my statements. The clear protective covering that comes with the Otterbox Defender seriously destroys picture quality.

Wow...

Night and day.

I should have realized this sooner.

Great protection, but there's the cost.
    06-19-08 03:47 PM
    tee-hee, now thats good humor
    06-19-08 03:50 PM
    Well darn it -- that's why I have my Cybershot and I don't take pics with my camera....

Man, I may have to loose the clear cover I don't know
    06-19-08 03:58 PM
    I quickly found that my "upgrade" to the curve with it's 2.0 megapixel camera takes pictures that are worse than the LG enV with a 2.0 megapizel cam or even a Motrola with a 1.3 megapizel cam (work phone) that takes better up-close pictures.

I routinely take up-close pics of stuff for work that I would love to email to my work PC; however, the up-close pics are terrible with the Curve. I've tried every setting the Curve offers in the settings to no avail.

I may exercise my 30 day return option with Verizon and await the Thunder and it's 3.x megapixel camera.

Other than that one disappointment, I have become a crackberry addict.
    08-07-08 09:17 AM
    I actually don't find the Camera that bad. The Curves 2.0 Megapixel camera gets the job done in my opinion. The colors are sometimes a bit off, and zoom doesn't work so well but for my phone...I'm content.
    08-07-08 09:22 AM
    I retract my statements. The clear protective covering that comes with the Otterbox Defender seriously destroys picture quality.

Wow...

Night and day.

I should have realized this sooner.

Great protection, but there's the cost.
    I have the same problem. I started my BB experience with a Pearl a few weeks ago, and put it in an Otterbox immediately upon arriving home. Pictures taken with the Pearl were crystal clear. Two weeks later I opted to upgrade to the Curve, and was sorely disappointed by the picture quality with the Otterbox installed.

If you look at the "clear" plastic layer of the Otterbox Curve case at the right angle, you'll see it appears to be textured, with a look similar to that of a glass door on a bathroom shower. The plastic used with the Pearl case doesn't appear this way. This is clearly (pardon the pun) the cause of the problem.

I have a second Otterbox case for my Curve, as the first one arrived damaged (but usable) from the reseller. When I swap them this weekend I'll take before, during, and after the swap, and also try taking a few pics through the plastic that came with the Pearl case.

I've seen this problem reported in several reviews, and if I get the results I expect - blurry with Curve case, clear without, and clear with Pearl case - I'm going to contact Otterbox about it next week.
    08-07-08 10:10 AM
    When you zoom and take the picture it will try to focus but once ur on 3x or 5x it is not that focused...1x is amazing but sadly past that it isnt all the great...but it is better than most phones on such a zoom
    08-07-08 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD