My apologies if this is the Nth time these issues have come up, but I am a newbie to the Blackberry (although a long-time user of Palm Pilot Tungsten E2).

1. When I am in Blackberry Desktop Manager, and I try to run "Switch Device Wizard" to get all my calendar & memo information from my Tungsten to my Curve, every single time the CPU on my computer jumps up to 100% and the process hangs up, and I have to Control-Alt-Delete to get out of it. This is deeply annoying, since I really don't want to input everything by hand into the Blackberry. What can I do?

2. I have always (and only) used the Palm Desktop for my calendar & memo applications, but the whole point of going to Blackberry is to get away from Palm. If I buy Microsoft Outlook, will that work well to desktop synch with the Blackberry?

3. I have an icon for "Blackberry Device Manager on my desktop, but nothing at all seems to happen when I click it. What the heck is supposed to happen when I click it?

Thanks to anyone who can answer any one of these questions!
    10-08-07 09:04 AM
    1.) welcome to windows...the way I see it you have 2 options...you can wait it out because from what I have seen anything to do with sdress books it a pretty memory and cpu inteseive process...or export your palm adress book to a CSV file and just import it into outlook.

2.) I think outlook express works...I have not tried it though. Outlook works very well for desktop syncing..I use it at work and home.

3.) If the device Manager is already running nothing will happen. If it is not running it will launch it.
    10-08-07 01:55 PM
    As a recent transfer from Treo to BB 8310, I have been greatly enjoying my new device. What I miss most is the palm desktop. I have tried Syncing with Yahoo and with outlook, and neither replicates the data as seen on the BB. I there a desktop app that mirrors the palm desktop experience for the BB. I think the different ways the two platforms handle categories is part of the issue.
    Thanks!
    -howie (notice i I did not say BB convert, yet. Still waiting to iron out the wrinkles.)
    11-22-07 12:19 PM
    I had a Windows Smartphone. Sycned it with outlook. Just plugged in my blackberry and got everything!

I think the "switching" feature is from blackberry to blackberry.
    11-22-07 12:43 PM
    As a recent transfer from Treo to BB 8310, I have been greatly enjoying my new device. What I miss most is the palm desktop. I have tried Syncing with Yahoo and with outlook, and neither replicates the data as seen on the BB. I there a desktop app that mirrors the palm desktop experience for the BB. I think the different ways the two platforms handle categories is part of the issue.
    Thanks!
    -howie (notice i I did not say BB convert, yet. Still waiting to iron out the wrinkles.)
    :) Well I too have just change from the Treo (680) and my wife from the Treo (750). Best thing ever done. WE love our BB. We each have the Red 8310. Had no problem transferring data from the palm to the curve. On the 680 I used the palm desktop, but just before I switched I synced the treo to outlook. When I got my BB I just hooked it up and wow it all was on the BB. The only thing that I wish and still am looking for is something on the BB that will read excel files, and word.
    That is the only thing that Palm has over them.

Loving my BB
    11-23-07 05:33 PM
    Can you tell me how you transfered the contacts and calender from treo. i keep doing the switch device wizard it says it is sucessful but i dont see it on my fone.
    05-30-08 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD