Hi,

I just got my first BlackBerry, a T-Mobile 8320 Curve.

I am travelling this summer to Europe. I will mainly be based in the UK, but will have some trips to Sweden, France, Ireland, and possible Eastern Europe (Czech, Hungary).

I have the international roaming plan from T-Mobile active, which gives pretty lame rates in all the countries I plan to visit. I would reall like to be able to use my Curve for both voice and data, and would prefer to keep my US number while abroad.

What is the cheapest way to do this? T-Mo roaming rates are around 0.99/min, but if I use the unlimited calling from HotSpots feature, I can WiFi call for around 0.19/min (in the UK). Would that work with my own wireless network over there?

Would it be better to unlock and get a new SIM? This would change my phone to a UK number, though, right? Would I even get to use data services?

Sorry for the lengthy post, any help would be appreciated.
    02-12-09 07:24 PM
    Hi,

I just got my first BlackBerry, a T-Mobile 8320 Curve.

I am travelling this summer to Europe. I will mainly be based in the UK, but will have some trips to Sweden, France, Ireland, and possible Eastern Europe (Czech, Hungary).

I have the international roaming plan from T-Mobile active, which gives pretty lame rates in all the countries I plan to visit. I would reall like to be able to use my Curve for both voice and data, and would prefer to keep my US number while abroad.

What is the cheapest way to do this? T-Mo roaming rates are around 0.99/min, but if I use the unlimited calling from HotSpots feature, I can WiFi call for around 0.19/min (in the UK). Would that work with my own wireless network over there?

Would it be better to unlock and get a new SIM? This would change my phone to a UK number, though, right? Would I even get to use data services?

Sorry for the lengthy post, any help would be appreciated.

Double check with tmo to see if they charge you for using hotspot while roaming if they dont and u have the plan then talk it up if not then u can buy my tmo fone and return urs if its not too late mine is unlocked.... therefore you subscribe to a prepaid gsm in the uk and europe and pay their local fees
    02-12-09 08:02 PM
    I got the same issue than yours for years and was carrying my tmo BB on one hand and an unlocked device with a local sim. I finally found euro sim cards with both local voice rates and still get my US BB data you can check callineurope.com and see if it works for you.
    02-21-09 02:45 PM
    I travel frequently and have found the following:
    1. If possible get your t-mobile phone unlocked. I had ATT and if you were traveling they were good about providing the unlock codes.
    2. Buy a sim in the country you will be in. It will be a different phone # but will not kill your budget.
    3. if you want to use the internet on that sim you will need to get the internet set up info from that provider since the t-mobile settings will not work.
    Usually I am only out of the US 2-3 weeks so I don't bother with the internet settings.
    02-21-09 04:19 PM
    tunkatuna, what you mentioned is indeed ok with a pda/smartphone, but you won't get your BIS/BES data work on a prepaid local sim card. What most travelers BB users look for are local sim cards with bother voice+data a affordable rates, and it is quite rare but for what I mentioned above. Also, call forward features exist so you can still get your US calls on your local number.
    02-21-09 04:31 PM
    Orange UK does BIS on pre-pay for �5 per month

Not sure how the whole switching your device pin to Orange then back to tmobile will work though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 06:05 PM
    use uma to place call just make sure you turn off the t-mobile network
    02-21-09 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD