hello everyone new to crackberry and blackberry, i dont know how to get aim on my curve, are there any free theams here? i cant get my micro card in either. any other questions i will jump in and ask. thanks a lot everyone
    05-13-08 10:25 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

There are two styles of SD memory. Your Curve is designed to take SD micro. It will only fit in one way so installation is simple.

AIM and other IM clients are preinstalled on my device. Look for a IM Messenger folder on your 'berry desktop. You will find the clients inside.

You should be aware, IM will use SMS text messages, not BlackBerry data. The single exception is BlackBerry Messenger, you can send PIN messages to other BlackBerrys using your BIS plan and data.

Free Wallpaper and Themes: Wallpapers and Themes - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    05-13-08 10:32 AM
    Welcome to crackberry!!! Most of your questions can be answered by searching the forums. Enjoy your new curve and let the addiction begin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-08 10:33 AM
    Welcome!!!!
    05-13-08 10:39 AM
    cool thank you very much for the inside, i dont have aim on my desktop so i dont know if i have to go online and download it or what.
    05-13-08 01:37 PM
    Welcome and congrats on the new Curve, they are awesome phones...
    05-13-08 01:45 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.
    You should be aware, IM will use SMS text messages, not BlackBerry data. The single exception is BlackBerry Messenger, you can send PIN messages to other BlackBerrys using your BIS plan and data.
    Ummm... Uh oh...

Need to be sure I understand this before I really start doing much with IMs. I'm on Verizon and have unlimited data, but I don't have their unlimited text messaging.

My phone didn't come with any IM applications, although a friends 8830, also from Verizon, did have a folder that had 3 IM programs in it. He said that when he sends messages using those apps, it does count as text messages.

I didn't have the apps, so I went to (Can't post a URL???) "www dot blackberry dot com/instantmessaging" and clicked the link to Download Yahoo Messenger from there.... installed it, and logged in with no problem.

Now, before I start IMing people... are you saying that my messages using that application are actually being sent via SMS? Can someone confirm this?

Is it explained (written) anywhere that I missed?

Thanks
    05-13-08 02:04 PM
    BlackBerry - Handheld PDAs - BlackBerry Messenger at BlackBerry.com

BlackBerry Messenger

BlackBerry� Messenger provides BlackBerry� users with the familiar look-and-feel of desktop instant messaging programs, right on their BlackBerry smartphone.

Use BlackBerry Messenger to chat with other BlackBerry smartphone users in an easy-to-use instant messaging format. It is designed to support group-chat, provide you with the availability status of your contacts and track message delivery status.

If you already use Personal Identification Number ("PIN") messaging on your BlackBerry smartphone, you'll love how this new application expands on that functionality and makes it even easier.

This one uses BlackBerry Data.

I may have been mistaken in posting SMS text usage. All the IM services specify BlackBerry Data service, and nothing about SMS.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-13-08 at 02:17 PM.
    05-13-08 02:10 PM
    Congrats on the new toy and welcome to the family.
    05-13-08 02:14 PM
    @Stoner... good to know this...

And just to be sure, I went to my account page on Verizon's site and double checked. I can send SMS messages and I can see the date and time when I sent the last one. When I send IMs with Yahoo Messenger, it doesn't change the message count or time.

Hopefully this will help some others breathe easier too.
    05-13-08 02:43 PM
    The only IM service that will use SMS messages is the one that you download off of the Verizon mobile webpage. Yahoo, Jivetalk, and the others just use data.
    05-13-08 03:18 PM
    so i cant get aim on the verizon curve then?
    05-13-08 03:40 PM
    welcome to cb!
    05-13-08 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD