Ok I have a blackberry curve that I've had for about two months or so and its just been a paper weight for the time being. I originally got it from a friend who sold it to for about $50 sensed he owed me and before I found out bout the 8900. Now back to the point I was thinking bout selling it but heard I could do more with it if I were to unlock it. The carrier is Verizon and I one of my friends took it to Metro PCS and said I could use it with that service but I would lose a lot of features. Long story short how would I go about unlocking it and updating to the newest software or at least post a good suggestion as to why yo keep it.

Thanks
    06-20-09 11:42 PM
    Ok I have a blackberry curve that I've had for about two months or so and its just been a paper weight for the time being. I originally got it from a friend who sold it to for about $50 sensed he owed me and before I found out bout the 8900. Now back to the point I was thinking bout selling it but heard I could do more with it if I were to unlock it. The carrier is Verizon and I one of my friends took it to Metro PCS and said I could use it with that service but I would lose a lot of features. Long story short how would I go about unlocking it and updating to the newest software or at least post a good suggestion as to why yo keep it.

Thanks
    I don't know exactly how it works for verizon locked phones, but from what I've heard, you can't unlock verizon phones because they don't use SIM cards like Tmobile and ATT (GSM) phones. I would do a search on google about how to unlock verizon phones (if it can actually be done).

I'm on ATT and had a 8300 (I now have the 8310). I called up ATT and they gave me the unlock code. I unlocked it and now it can be used on any carrier that uses phones with SIM cards. I plan to sell the 8300 being that I really don't need it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 07:22 AM
    Yes, the phone is mostly likely a 8330 (rather than a 8300) if it is Verizon branded. Verizon is a CDMA network.

It can't be unlocked. Sell it as Verizon branded device to someone who wants to use it on Verizon.

Metro PCS is one of the few CDMA carriers that will allow devices from other networks to be activated on their network, but as noted above, you will lose features.
    06-21-09 07:48 AM
    I don't know exactly how it works for verizon locked phones, but from what I've heard, you can't unlock verizon phones because they don't use SIM cards like Tmobile and ATT (GSM) phones. I would do a search on google about how to unlock verizon phones (if it can actually be done).

I'm on ATT and had a 8300 (I now have the 8310). I called up ATT and they gave me the unlock code. I unlocked it and now it can be used on any carrier that uses phones with SIM cards. I plan to sell the 8300 being that I really don't need it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Oh thanks for the replies, guess I go ahead and sell it.
    06-21-09 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD