I am looking at purchasing my first BB and don't plan on using it for what most of you seem to use it for. I have really terrible memory problems (my brain, not my electronics) and need a pda type phone that I can enter reminder information into and set alarms. I want one that is easy to type into and is more of an organizer than anything else.

I probably won't use the camera unless in an emergency and won't use the browser for quite a while if at all. I plan to get rid of my land line phone and use the BB exclusively for phone service and will use TMobile as my carrier.

Now for the questions:

What model number (8310, 8320, etc.) is the Curve Titanium/Sunset on TMobile?
    Will a BB give me what I am looking for in an organizer/phone?
    The new Curve is coming out in February for TMobile but I am concerned about cost and don't really need the latest high-tech model. Would it be foolish to purchase now rather than wait until the new model comes out or would it be better to purchase now given the sale prices?
    Given your experience with your BB and what I will be using it for, is there a better route to go than a BB or smartphone?

Thanks for helping out a baby non-techie!
    01-21-09 04:29 PM
    Well, the Curve's keyboard is GREAT for typing stuff up like reminders and emails.

It's the 8320 for Tmobile. I got mine for $99. It was running on Amazon for free a month ago, if you're getting a new contract you might want to check around to Amazon and Costco and stuff, they had great deals I didn't find until it was too late.

I've owned a PDA before, but I rarely used it because it involved me carrying that PLUS a phone, PLUS a camera. I have everything with my curve.
    01-21-09 04:35 PM
    8320 comes in sunset red and titanium.

I recommend the 8320 because it has a great calendar, memo, task, etc that will help you out a lot.

Like you said, if youre not big into the LATEST technology, just got with the curve.

One question: What kind of emergency would require a camera?! LOL

"OMG LOOK ITS ANGELINA JOLIE!!!"
    **Snaps Picture**

Thats the only scenario I could come up with.....
    01-21-09 04:37 PM
    8320 comes in sunset red and titanium.

I recommend the 8320 because it has a great calendar, memo, task, etc that will help you out a lot.

Like you said, if youre not big into the LATEST technology, just got with the curve.

One question: What kind of emergency would require a camera?! LOL

"OMG LOOK ITS ANGELINA JOLIE!!!"
    **Snaps Picture**

Thats the only scenario I could come up with.....

You made my day - I got a good laugh out of that!!

I was thinking of when I'm out with my kids and Dora or Sharky wanders by for a photo op and they can't believe that mom doesn't have her camera along - my kids would say that was an emergency!
    01-21-09 04:56 PM
    I've got an 8330 thru US Cellular, so it's pretty much the same thing you would get, just a couple small differences, and I really couldn't be happier with it! I don't have a land line either, and I can do everything with my BB. I find the callander quite easy to use, just make sure to take the callender alerts off of mute, and also when you go into the callender, go to menu, then options, and go to general options, where you can change the "start day" and "end day" times, which I did. The curve is really easy to use, and this site and the forums on it are fantastic. The ease and use of the keyboard is great, I typed this whole post on my curve. Good luck! You won't be dissapointed!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 05:38 PM
    My service is through Verizon but I do have the Curve 8330 and I really love it!! There are "Memo Pad" and "Tasks" programs on my phone, as well as a voice recorder (for small things like where I parked, etc.) but I use the Memo Pad ALL the time!!

And, I love the emergency picture......... If I ever saw Angelina Jolie, that would definitely constitute needing to take a picture ASAP!!

Good luck with getting a new phone. I think you'd love the Curve!
    01-21-09 06:39 PM
    The Curve is a great fit for you out of the box, with the exception of alarms. You can only set 1 alarm at a time. If you want to use more than 1 alarm, you will need to install an application called "BB Alarms Pro." It's $15, which is high for a function that RIM should have included. Other a few things (like the alarm), BlackBerrys are hands down the best devices out there.
    01-21-09 06:44 PM
    Well, sort of. You can set reminders in the calendar that works exactly the same as an alarm, so it's not that much of an issue. The only thing is getting used to doing that in the calendar.

01-21-09 08:38 PM
    I am looking at purchasing my first BB and don't plan on using it for what most of you seem to use it for. I have really terrible memory problems (my brain, not my electronics) and need a pda type phone that I can enter reminder information into and set alarms. I want one that is easy to type into and is more of an organizer than anything else.
    That's primarily why I went for the Curve as my replacement BB. Yes, having internet and camera and that kind of thing is nice, but the organizational aspects were most important. I carried PalmOS devices forever before stepping out into the land of smartphones. I hadn't been disappointed. If you're looking for an entertainment machine/toy, then the BB isn't for you, but for organizing data, notes, appointments, ideas, etc., I like it best. There are several different options, but especially since you mentioned ease of input, the QWERTY devices are the easiest in my experience.

Also, unless you intend to install more applications or feel the need for mostly minor tweaks, there's no real reason for you to wait for the 8900. It's definitely a beautiful phone, but the things that set it apart from the current 83xx Curve aren't likely things you'll notice in day-to-day phone/calendar use.
    01-21-09 09:01 PM
    If you're anything like my wife, you can't go anywhere without have a great photo op with your children. Go for the gusto and get the Curve with the camera. You'll use it. Trust me.

Now let me surf over to NewEgg.com for that new MicroSD card for her...
    01-21-09 09:48 PM
    I agree that the 83xx's are superior in its organizational programs. But I personally bought my 8330 for its "toy" factor. I mean Curve is good for both spectrums of the BB useage. I use this phone for its internet capabilites and its great media capabilities. This phone works either way on a high level. I think that's what makes the Curve specifically so appealing to not only BB fans, but those interested in coming into the BB world.

01-21-09 09:53 PM
    I am just wondering what the purpose for tmobile is? That carrier doesn't get reception as well as other carriers such as att. That was why I recently changed. Also, the new tmobile phone is the bb flip and it doesn't have a qwerty keyboard. Unless ofcourse I missed the release of an even newer phone. I would go with att and the 8310 which I have both of and I am extremely satisfied so far minus the horrible tech support.

01-22-09 02:59 AM
    you might like the pearl- if your not already used to the qwerty keyboard some people say they can actually type faster with suretype and you cant beat the form factor. it does everything the curve can-just a different keypad. (check for which model has gps, wifi and such to find the one you want)
    01-22-09 03:06 AM
    I recently switched to Sprint (because of their unlimited everything plan), but before that I was on T Mobile for the past 5 years. I had the sunset Curve 8320 and LOVED it!!! The feature that I miss the most that my new 8330 doesn't have is Wi-Fi. I used to live in an area that was like a cell phone black hole and this helped immensely to make my coverage more consistent. Personally I would choose the Curve over the Pearl anyday-the full QWERTY keyboard makes an immense difference in functionality to me. As far as organizer features, it has pretty much everything I need (I am still looking for some very specific program features). Third party software should cover the areas that you find the BB is lacking in. Best of luck!!!
    01-22-09 06:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD