I've been researching this one for a couple weeks now with no luck. I'm hoping I'm missing something, or someone has had a similar experience.

My fiance' has the 8300, and she accidentally let the battery run completely down.

At some point (10% left IIRC), her Berry turned off the radio to conserve the battery.

By the time she realized and got home the battery was completely dead.

No here is the fun part...

After swapping for a fully charged battery her phone came back up and the Verifying Security Software screen came up and made it to about 30% or so, and hung. The odd bit is that it wasn't totally locked up, I know this because she also has the Saltwater Theme, and the fish keep swimming. If I pull the battery, or three finger salute, it'l reboot and get back to the VSS screen. I noticed that the radio was still off, so on a hunch as the device started up from a reboot I began pressing the green phone button as if to make a call. It apparently will force the radio to come on.

This works! It'll start the VSS screen and complete perfectly.

Now here's the WTF part:

Anytime she turns her phone off now (I know I know, but we do have to turn them off to sleep) it starts this process all over.

It boots up with the radio OFF, and VSS hangs unless we do the phone tapping routine.

Now, I've wiped this phone and restored a backup. No dice, same story.

One more piece of strangeness...If I take out the SIM card, it boots, just fine!!

Yes, I've tried swapping SIMS, no luck. Yes, I've tried using another 8300. (Yes, I have spares)

I'm to the point now of screaming at it...but I don't think that'll help.

Any ideas? Please?
    09-09-08 12:01 PM
    Maybe don't turn the device off? I would use the silent profile to keep from having this problem every day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-08 12:16 PM
    Silent works great. I just battery pull or reboot, never turn it off. That would only cause me to be without it, and that cannot happen.

09-09-08 01:06 PM
    Do a wipe and OS reload without the restore, then try it and see if it doesn't fix things, chances are there's a corrupt file that keeps going back in in the restore..
    just my .02
    09-09-08 01:30 PM
    @fonebrkr : he said he already did a wipe

I was thinking the same...

Maybe try turning off the radio manually before turning the device off and see what happens

09-09-08 01:33 PM
    Do a wipe and OS reload without the restore, then try it and see if it doesn't fix things, chances are there's a corrupt file that keeps going back in in the restore..
    just my .02
    I had thought about the process of bricking with JLCommander, reloading OS, then reloading apps and contacts...

But what a PITA!

And can you guess who gets to do all that work?
    09-09-08 01:53 PM
    @fonebrkr : he said he already did a wipe

I was thinking the same...

Maybe try turning off the radio manually before turning the device off and see what happens

Yeah, I tried that. No joy.

Wipe isn't the same as OS reload though.
    09-09-08 01:54 PM
    just my .02
    Now that I fully read your post...:P ( I tend to scan read...)

You may be right, I may be able to wipe w/o the removal and reload of the OS, and then just restore her contacts and apps. It'll be a PITA, but better than dealing with this.

I'd like to know what caused this though. I've so far managed to stump RIM as well...T-4 support at work has it's bene's.
    09-09-08 02:00 PM
    Silent works great. I just battery pull or reboot, never turn it off. That would only cause me to be without it, and that cannot happen.

Well...and this may be a separate topic altogether...the reason, aside from interruptions that we turn the phones off at night is to have the phones do a slow-charge on the batteries.

Any thoughts on this? My experience is that the batteries last longer when I charge like this at night.
    09-09-08 02:03 PM
    I NEVER turn the phone off...I don't think I could bring myself to do it.
    I use Auto On/Off so I can sleep at night.
    As for the battery, it's my understanding that the battery stops charging when it is full so there are no worries about leaving it on the charger all night.
    09-09-08 02:31 PM
    I never turn mine off either...I get jittery and once when I was extremely drunk I cried (apparently I was convinced it was dead). I just plug it in when I go to bed, I use the auto off and on for 3am so that if it needs to restart for any reason it can, and I just sleep through it...beeps and blinks and calls come in and all...drives my bf nuts...

BTW not to hijack the thread but does anyone know if we can make a certain profile active upon connecting the charger?
    09-09-08 03:26 PM
    With the Lithium-Ion battery that your bb uses, it doesn't develop a "memory" like older NiCd batteries did. The lithium-ion batteries do like to be "topped off" more so than completely drained and then re-charged though. Li-ion cells must never be discharged below a certain voltage to avoid the possibility of irreversible damage. Therefore Li-ion battery systems are generally equipped with a circuit that shuts down the system when the battery is discharged below the predefined threshold.
    BTW not to hijack the thread but does anyone know if we can make a certain profile active upon connecting the charger?
    I haven't seen any around like this, it would be nice though.
    Last edited by tekneakz; 09-10-08 at 12:54 AM.
    09-10-08 12:51 AM
    Well at least Root Cause is known.

I narrowed it down to the Saltwater theme, which was active at the time of failure. So long as that is the active theme, the aformentioned problems occur.

I'm going to see if there is a way to extract some useful info to send to the creators.
    09-16-08 12:46 PM

I narrowed it down to the Saltwater theme, which was active at the time of failure. So long as that is the active theme, the aformentioned problems occur.

I'm going to see if there is a way to extract some useful info to send to the creators.
    that theme is from bplay?

yeah, dont bother trying to help them. they'll thank you for your submission then leave it as-is. their support is about as smart as a bag of hammers and their MO is simply to do what it takes to make money no matter how dissatisfied their customers are.
    09-16-08 01:14 PM

their support is about as smart as a bag of hammers.
    Thank you oakie for the morning laugh...

WJRobbins, glad you got it resolved. I went through this same thing with a corrupt file, now I do a selective backup once a month, then a complete once a week, that way if it does happen again, I won't lose a bunch of messages and such.
    09-16-08 01:29 PM
    Well...and this may be a separate topic altogether...the reason, aside from interruptions that we turn the phones off at night is to have the phones do a slow-charge on the batteries.

Any thoughts on this? My experience is that the batteries last longer when I charge like this at night.
    Post #12, ditto.

Should of went with the Freshwater theme! j/k Glad you got it figured out!
    09-16-08 02:06 PM
    Are you sure you didn't just have low memory?
    09-16-08 04:06 PM
    Are you sure you didn't just have low memory?
    Positive. Why would low memory kick-off a VSS and kill the radio?

At any rate as long as the theme on her phone isn't set to Saltwater the device functions 100%
    09-16-08 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD