Hello all,

My sister has a BB and told me to get one, and I finally took the plunge, blackberry curve...and I love it.

I do NOT have a data plan yet, because still waiting for my new job to finalize so don't want to spend any extra without supplemental income as of yet. For now I will stick to wifi only.

My questions are quite plentiful, so any help would be delightful.

1. Is Opera Mini or the default BB browser better? Is the BB browser an HTML browser?

2. T-mobile's website says all messages, including IM are deducted from text messaging. I have 400 messages...but I have heard mixed about this on blackberry's because some say its data others say that the old versions are SMS...looking for the truth, finally lol.

3. With Wifi, if I tried Jivetalk, or even paid for it, will it work. I mean, will it not require data plan if I am sticking with wifi only (hoping to include a data plan within the next month or so, but for now I have to stick to wifi)

4. Is Blackberry Messenging pushed by email/data plans?

5. I have yet to install the software to sync the Blackberry to my computer...I plan on using the calender a lot, so is there a program that is installed on the computer to easily type out my days schedule and then sync/push it to my phone so I don't hafta type 3-4 months worth of days on the phone. I had a palm pilot ages ago and I did everything on my comp and its synced and sent it all to it and i just walked out the door, hoping the blackberry has a similar system...although having an all in 1 is fantastic and I will survive anyway.

6. All you t-mobile users out there, is the edge network really that slow...or is it fine for emails and small time surfing? I have used to edge network on my friends old iphone, non 3g and it was slow for sites...but I only plan on browsing with wifi regardless.

I think thats it for now....I can't put down my new toy but I want to learn everything I can about it and the apps so I can customize and use it to its fullest potential...any answers to my questions above will be very well received and much appreciated!

Thanks!!!!
    07-11-08 03:17 PM
    Hello all,

My sister has a BB and told me to get one, and I finally took the plunge, blackberry curve...and I love it.

I do NOT have a data plan yet, because still waiting for my new job to finalize so don't want to spend any extra without supplemental income as of yet. For now I will stick to wifi only.

1. Is Opera Mini or the default BB browser better? Is the BB browser an HTML browser?

2. T-mobile's website says all messages, including IM are deducted from text messaging. I have 400 messages...but I have heard mixed about this on blackberry's because some say its data others say that the old versions are SMS...looking for the truth, finally lol.

3. With Wifi, if I tried Jivetalk, or even paid for it, will it work. I mean, will it not require data plan if I am sticking with wifi only (hoping to include a data plan within the next month or so, but for now I have to stick to wifi)

5. I have yet to install the software to sync the Blackberry to my computer...I plan on using the calender a lot, so is there a program that is installed on the computer to easily type out my days schedule and then sync/push it to my phone so I don't hafta type 3-4 months worth of days on the phone. I had a palm pilot ages ago and I did everything on my comp and its synced and sent it all to it and i just walked out the door, hoping the blackberry has a similar system...although having an all in 1 is fantastic and I will survive anyway.

6. All you t-mobile users out there, is the edge network really that slow...or is it fine for emails and small time surfing? I have used to edge network on my friends old iphone, non 3g and it was slow for sites...but I only plan on browsing with wifi regardless.

I think thats it for now....I can't put down my new toy but I want to learn everything I can about it and the apps so I can customize and use it to its fullest potential...any answers to my questions above will be very well received and much appreciated!

Thanks!!!!
    1. too subjective, but the bb browser allows you to download and install apps. opera does not. yes it has html.
    2. what's on the device uses txt. you can get a third party solution that uses data, like jivetalk as you mention.
    3. yes. jivetalk is one of the few that s fully compatible with wifi.
    4. data. even if u get just the $9.99 email plan, the bb messenger will still work and at no extra charge.
    5. microsoft outlook, google calendar.
    6. edge is fine for minor usage, but again, this is subjective.
    07-11-08 03:23 PM
    Well, let me the first to welcome you and try to help in any way I can. I'd first get the data plan, I know your waiting, but you'll want it as you get used to your new BB and for syncing I use the BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) and its ******** awesome, any changes on my outlook go directly to my phone, so that sounds like a necessity

As far as the EDGE network goes... Its OK, I can't wait for 3g but, the EDGE and wifi get it done. Just don't be expecting the EV-DO speed from sprint.

Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 03:24 PM
    Hello all,

I do NOT have a data plan yet, because still waiting for my new job to finalize so don't want to spend any extra without supplemental income as of yet. For now I will stick to wifi only

1. Is Opera Mini or the default BB browser better? Is the BB browser an HTML browser

opera is a good browser but the browser with os 4.5 is pretty damn good

jivetalk is data other ones use text

you probably can't download most 3rd party apps without a data plan

not sure i don't use it

you could use outlook or google sync

edge is fine for me

Thanks!!!!
    Welcome to cb !
    07-11-08 03:26 PM
    Seems like everyone else has the answers covered!! So... warm welcome to CB!!

You will love your new Curve!! I am still using mine with no data There are plenty of ways around getting a data plan, IMO, if you are looking to save money. I am always in WiFi... so it makes no sense for me to pay for data
    07-11-08 03:32 PM
    Do I need to dl apps directly onto the blackberry, or can I DL em on my comp and send it thru the usb to the BB curve. IE - DL jivetalk on my comp, send to BB since I have no data plan

And which calender program is considered better, outlook or goggle? Do they cost money? Just curious...trying to cut corners til the new job..

Thanks for all the answers so far, clearing a lot of things up!

This site seems very friendly and helpful, loving my phone.
    Last edited by fins831; 07-11-08 at 03:38 PM.
    07-11-08 03:36 PM
    You can install some apps over the air (OTA) on your device, no PC involved. Some you have to load thru the DesktopManager on your PC.

As for calendar... whatever you prefer, personal choice. Use Google Sync if you have Google Calendar... it syncs your Berry and GCal
    07-11-08 03:37 PM
    What do you all use. Not going to lie, I use firefox since I hate IE, the only program I think Microsoft hasn't butchered is Word....so I would like to stay away from outlook lol.

Is google easy to setup with the currently installed calender to sync?

Thanks, you all have been so helpful so far
    07-11-08 03:43 PM
    i use google sync as well and some apps will use a zip file that you have to unzip and add to your device via desktop manager
    07-11-08 03:45 PM
    Ok yea google seems pretty easy to use.

Is it possible to DL google sync via BB browser with wifi and no data plan, it says that it dls thru the site.
    07-11-08 03:50 PM
    you can try i'm not sure
    07-11-08 03:51 PM
    ok I will...

Last question then I will leave you all alone for now lol

Without a data plan...how would I sync my BB calender to google's calender...via wifi, or hooking it up via usb thru the desktop manager...because without a data plan I am sure I can't sync it outside a wifi area....so hoping to get a data plan within a month or so but til then I want to use the calender.

i swear last question...
    07-11-08 03:57 PM
    you should be able to sync with the usb through dm
    07-12-08 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD