I've had my Blackberry Curve (Sprint/Red 8330) for about a week now and things have been working flawlessly until today. I left my device to charge overnight as usual and this morning found it was fully charged. However, around mid-afternoon I noticed that the battery had been significantly drained (I hadn't made any calls, hadn't browsed the internet, and had only sent about 6 text messages) and had only about 60% life remaining (about 6 hours had passed). So when the battery fell to about 45% by early evening, I charged it again. I took it off the charger when it hit 95% and within 2.5 hours, the battery had dropped back to 65% (it was inside the BB case the whole time, no use). Should I have the battery replaced? I noticed it felt significantly warm to the touch throughout the night, could the battery be faulty? The only application I'd installed during the past several days was Pocket Express, which I have now uninstalled to see if anything changes.

And yes, I did make sure all unneeded applications were closed. I've heard the Facebook application has been draining batteries, but I've been using it for days with no problem until today. Any suggestions?
    08-20-08 02:37 AM
    Also, it seems that the interface has been running a little bit slower today. The hourglass comes up somewhat frequently (although not for very long), making navigating the menus a little sluggish. Is this normal? (Its running OS 4.3). I apologize for asking so many questions, this is my first Blackberry and I wanted to make sure if there's a problem that I can exchange it within 30 days.
    08-20-08 02:55 AM
    First, what is your signal strength? If the BB doesn't have a strong signal then it can easily waste the battery trying to stay connected.

If not that, then what apps have you installed? Perhaps there is something in there working in the background you are unaware of.

Failing that, perhaps the battery is faulty? It happens.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 04:25 AM
    1) Press Alt+Escape to see what programs are running on your BB. (You should only see Home Screen, Phone/Call log, BB Messenger, Browser, Messages, and mine always has Push to Talk - you may have your walkie-talkie service running all the time. I'm not sure)

2) Also, I don't charge mine every night.. I charge it when it is needed. I normally charge it every other day. I have waited three days but it died on me at work.

3) Another good way to conserve batter life is to only use your phone's battery when needed. If you are on the phone and you are close to an outlet, plug it in.

I'm no professional but this is what I do and if my phone sits idle (with the exception of a few calls) it will last for almost a full 72 hours.
    08-20-08 06:37 AM
    Yeah I've been using the alt-esc function to make sure only those programs were running. The only apps I installed were the Facebook, Google Talk, Pocket Express, and AIM apps, and I have since removed Pocket Express and AIM. The signal strength sounds very plausible though, because most of the day I was getting an unusually weak signal in my room. I'll keep an eye on it today and see if the problem continues. Thanks guys
    08-20-08 11:27 AM
    Your on sprint? Oh yeah it's the signal strength.

On a serious note, my curve lasts a couple days without a charge. I still tend to charge it every night. I would take your phone into Sprint(cringe) and see if they will replace the battery under warranty.
    08-20-08 01:15 PM
    I am having the EXACT same problem with my new Sprint curve (and posted here too).

I lost 30% of battery just leaving it on for 20 minutes and getting three emails pushed today.

I turned it off for a few hours, then turned it back on, ran SprintNav for about 15 minutes, now I have 35% battery.

Mine is going back tonight for a new battery (If you are sprint you have 30 days to exchange phone, cance, etc).

If it keeps happening, I guess I will return to a standard phone.
    08-20-08 01:49 PM
    Read the section about how to "burp your battery"

cell phone battery tips
    08-20-08 02:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD