Hi, I just got a Curve 8330, after having a Treo 650 for the past 3 years. Some immediate likes and dislikes (some of which may just be due to my ignorance of whats available on the Curve, and also to my superficial use of the Treo). I am sure most of you have heard these things before!

- GPS! Very fun. Google maps works like a charm where I live.
    - Good small size, without a big antenna sticking out.
    - Email actually works. The Treo would always crash when I tried to send email.
    - The browser is faster than on the Treo.
    - installing Ringtones is very flexible and easy to set up. Likewise for wallpapers.

Dislikes:
    - no touchscreen. I guess I can get used to this.
    - no sound-off switch as on the Treo. It takes a little bit of button pushing to turn the sound off. There is no visible indication of the "mute" button being pressed.
    - I don't see a way to turn the phone off while keeping the rest of the device active (e.g. to play the media player without having people call you). I am sure this is possible somehow.
    - The BB-provided applications are rather barebones. For example, the email reader doesn't display images. You need to buy add-on software to get this functionality which should be already there! The music player is rather basic also. The simprint miu player looks good, but costs extra. Comparisons will be made to the iPhone in terms of pre-loaded software. BB needs to do a much better job in this area.
    I would really like a better contacts or address book app. The Pocket Informant program (which is not out yet) looks real good. Again, BB dropped the ball on this. I would have thought that this would be one area they would excel in, seeing as how their reputation is for business use.
    - The built-in calculator sucks. I bought the Pocket 10C SE, but again, BB should have provided a full feature scientific/business calculator. It is not like these are difficult to program.
    - The Plazmic theme editor is crippled (i.e. you can't specify every part of the UI with it). I don't even know why they bother giving it to us.
    - Salling Clicker isn't (yet) compatible with the BB. That's not BB's fault, but I still miss it. I use Clicker on my Treo to control iTunes on my Mac Mini (connected to my stereo). Its really great, and I hope that they will port it to the Curve soon.
    - The Phone screen is very bland, and actually looks half-finished (just a strak white screen partially occluding the home screen). RIM should hire a few graphic artists, or at least let the users customize this screen. The phone screen on the Treo was very nice looking.
    - The color on the Camera is rather washed out. I'll have to try to see how to modify this.
    06-22-08 04:57 PM
    Welcome and you'll love more and more everyday.
    06-22-08 05:04 PM
    Hi, I just got a Curve 8330, after having a Treo 650 for the past 3 years. Some immediate likes and dislikes (some of which may just be due to my ignorance of whats available on the Curve, and also to my superficial use of the Treo). I am sure most of you have heard these things before!

- installing Ringtones is very flexible and easy to set up. Likewise for wallpapers.

Dislikes:
    - no sound-off switch as on the Treo. It takes a little bit of button pushing to turn the sound off. There is no visible indication of the "mute" button being pressed.
    - I don't see a way to turn the phone off while keeping the rest of the device active (e.g. to play the media player without having people call you). I am sure this is possible somehow.
    - The BB-provided applications are rather barebones. For example, the email reader doesn't display images. You need to buy add-on software to get this functionality which should be already there! The music player is rather basic also. The simprint miu player looks good, but costs extra. Comparisons will be made to the iPhone in terms of pre-loaded software. BB needs to do a much better job in this area.
    I would really like a better contacts or address book app. The Pocket Informant program (which is not out yet) looks real good. Again, BB dropped the ball on this. I would have thought that this would be one area they would excel in, seeing as how their reputation is for business use.
    - The built-in calculator sucks. I bought the Pocket 10C SE, but again, BB should have provided a full feature scientific/business calculator. It is not like these are difficult to program.
    - The Plazmic theme editor is crippled (i.e. you can't specify every part of the UI with it). I don't even know why they bother giving it to us.
    - Salling Clicker isn't (yet) compatible with the BB. That's not BB's fault, but I still miss it. I use Clicker on my Treo to control iTunes on my Mac Mini (connected to my stereo). Its really great, and I hope that they will port it to the Curve soon.
    - The Phone screen is very bland, and actually looks half-finished (just a strak white screen partially occluding the home screen). RIM should hire a few graphic artists, or at least let the users customize this screen. The phone screen on the Treo was very nice looking.
    - The color on the Camera is rather washed out. I'll have to try to see how to modify this.
    Hello,

I too am new to BB Curve and a 3+ years Treo 650 user. While you are noticing slight differences between the BB and the Treo, you have hit the most important. Crash's and Reset's.

There was not a day in my 3+ years with Palm (Treo 650 Verizon) that I did not have to reset or have a complete crash.

1. No touch screen,..easy to get used to this
    2. Sound off switch- I have my right side conv. button to easily switch from Loud to quiet/vibrate
    3. You can turn the phone service off through the "manage connections" button
    4. No picture in email- your refering to HTML in email. This will happen with the next OS release (4.5). At least thats what I have read on this board.
    5. Can't compare to an iPhone. iPhone has no camera, replacable battery that you can do yourself, forced to use AT&T,.ect.....
    6. Calculator- the BB Calc works well for me. If you need a HP Financial calc,...buy one.
    7. Screen color issues - download the free bBerry theme. It's very pleasant on the eyes.

Regardless,...the Treo does not compare to the Curve. I had been umbilically tied to my Treo 650 would have never thought about another phone until I tried my friends Curve. While it's only been two weeks for me with the BB,..I LOVE IT !!!!

A last suggestion,...get a 8 gig mem card for your music and pics. Just came back from the Outer Banks (NC), and have great wallpapers to show.

Good Luck !!

ps. Treo's make great paper-weights !!

LoveTheBerry
    06-22-08 05:18 PM
    Best use for my Treo 650 now -

06-22-08 05:23 PM
    LOL CHAZ.....

pass the kleenex, I"m rotflol and in tears!!!
    06-22-08 05:29 PM

Let the contest begin,......the BEST use for the TREO !!!
    06-22-08 05:53 PM
    Hi, ,thanks for the replies.

I do like the screen colors on the Curve. Its the colors on the pictures that the Camera takes that need some work.

As for comparing the iPhone and the Curve, its a bit of apples and oranges, but RIM could learn a thing or two about application design.

Overall, I like the Curve much better than the Treo. But I think it can be even better! Come on RIM, get with it!
    06-22-08 06:36 PM
    welcome to the cb! much as any good wine, it just gets better with time.
    06-22-08 07:56 PM
    I find that the pictures taken on the Curve are far superior to those taken on my old Treo 650.

Default Flash Setting: Automatic
    White Balance: Automatic
    Picture Size: Large (1600 x 1200)
    Picture Quality: Superfine

Try those settings they should help.
    06-22-08 09:49 PM
    Welcome to the best place in the world!
    06-22-08 09:51 PM

Dislikes:
    I've owned almost every Treo ever built, and am very glad to have switched to the Curve 8330.

1. Touch screen's are over rated. When you think about it, they force you to contort your hand and thumb in weird positions to reach the screen... or you have to use two hands by using the stylus. With the BB, you can just keep your thumb in a comfortable position and move your thumb around. You get full view of your screen without fingers or the stylus touching the screen. You don't use a touch screen on your computer. You use a mouse. The BB is a similar concept.

2. The mute switch on the Treo was kind of nice, but it didn't give you all the easy to access options for modifying the sound that the BB does. You can set up shortcuts for this as somebody else pointed out.

3. To turn calls off, but keep the device on, go to the manage connections icon, and then uncheck the mobile network. That should do it.

4. You can too see images with the default email viewer. Just click on the open attachment option, and each image will show up on the screen.

5. imho the contact manager for the BB is better than the Palm. From what I can tell, it does everything the Palm one did, and then some. It is much easier to find people in the address book, as well as dial them. You can just type their name and it'll find them. On the Palm, you had to type the first letter of their name and then their last name, or you had to type their company name, etc. It just never seemed to work right, and I ended always having to search.

6. You should be able to find another calculator to suit your needs to download and run on the BB. Fwiw, you can type numbers with the keys, and then click the dash for minus, the star for multiply, the forward slash for divide, enter for equals, delete for clear, etc. Makes using it much more fast.

7. Not sure about Plazmic or Salling. Doesn't mean much to me.

8. The phone screen I suppose could use some help, but to compare it to the Treo's as though it is good seems funny. That Treo screen is nothing more than some buttons with numbers. Since you don't dial numbers on the screen with a BB, it isn't necessary... and since if you dialed numbers on the Treo touch screen- you usually ended up dialing the wrong number by pressing more than one virtual button- it was worthless...

9. I haven't noticed any problems with the camera. In fact, it is really nice to have a flash (which the Treo does not have). You can also use the flash as a flashlight by going into the video recorder and hitting the space bar a couple of times. The LED light stays on, and can come in handy.

No device is perfect, but the Curve is sure closer to perfection than the Treo is.
    06-22-08 11:47 PM
    I had a Treo 650 before my curve and at first I kept touching the screen out of habit but once I got used to the trackball I've found I like it better and couldn't believe I ever liked the touchscreen.
    06-23-08 12:32 AM
    I've had the palm 755p and iphone. I can't tell you how much different and better the bb is in comparison. The bb does everything I would want to do. The bold has everything we need. I think the most cool thing about the bb coming from the iphone and treo was the weight and keyboard.

Love it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 02:39 AM
    On turning off the phone to listen to music, is this just an old treo habit to keep from having resets? I have found that with the bb the transition between music and phone is seamless. I will be listening to music and all of a sudden it will pause and then the phone will ring. When I end the call, the music begins again. Much better than on a treo imho.
    06-23-08 05:22 AM
    You will Love the BB Curve.. Welcome to CB.
    06-23-08 07:02 AM

Chaz, that is the best use for a Treo....EVER!!!!!!!!!!
    06-23-08 07:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD