Hi - hoping someone can please offer some advice, as the title says really I'm new to BlackBerry and have just bought a brand new Curve 8320 of ebay in the UK which is tied to Orange. The phone came with no SIM card and I would ultimately like to use this with my current T-Mobile SIM card provided through work which will allow me to push my works email to my phone as this is a service they have.

I've had a good read about unlocking these and specifically unlocking phones tied to Orange and it would appear that if you contact Orange it can take 3 months for them to release the unlock code - I also assume I would first need to purchase a SIM card from Orange - a Pay As You SIM is only �1 - would that be ok? This would at least allow me to use it as a phone only I guess.

Or is it possible to just take the phone to a shop that could unlock it then and there for a charge?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - J.
    05-20-08 05:27 AM
    Hi and welcome to Crackberry.

T-Mobile in the UK have the cheapest service but you must have a monthly contract to obtain decent rates for data and email connections. If you try and do that with a PAYG SIM card it will cost you an arm and a leg.

Best thing to do is to cal T-Mobile and ask them for their monthly rates and also to call Orange and ask them about doing the same thing via PAYG.

To get your phone unlocked, will take a couple of days. Blackberrys need a special algorithm that needs to be calculated individually. To give you a reference point fo charges lok here Blackberry 8320 unlock; Unlock Blackberry Curve using unlock code by UnlockThatMobile.com. I have used these guys a few times and above all, they are reloiable and what they do works. They will also support you if things got wrong. Are they the rock bottom cheapest? I do not think so. I'd rather have something that works for a few bucks more.

God luck and come back here to ask more questions.
    05-20-08 06:40 AM
    You could contact the seller and have them get the unlock code for you since they were an orange customer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 07:34 AM
    Pete6 - thanks, work pay for my mobile with T-Mobile. The theory behind me getting a PAYG SIM from Orange was simply so I could then call them to get the unlock code. I wouldn't actually use them as a provider.

ultrarunner - thanks, not thought of that.

Thanks - J.
    05-20-08 09:54 AM
    I did that when I sold my pearl to a friend. It saved them about $30 and it came the very next day.
    05-20-08 10:22 AM
    ok - So I got my PAYG SIM from Orange in the UK today - cost �1, the BlackBerry is pretty damn good btw

So I rang Orange to activate the SIM and set my account up and promptly asked that I would like to request the unlock code for my handset. They have told me that my account must be open for 3 months & it will also cost me �20.

I knew about the 3 months already, but the �20 charge as well seems like a ripoff. Can anyone suggest a site that can provide the unlock code for these? I've taken a look at the site mentioned above and emailed them as they only mention Orange France?

Also done a quick google for this service and a few places charge �35 or unlocking Orange handsets - is that about right?

Thanks again - J.
    05-22-08 02:35 PM
    Hi and welcome.
    05-23-08 03:21 AM
    Hi and welcome.
    err ... ok.
    05-23-08 05:56 AM
    Have a look at www.horizonwireless.online.com
    It is recommended by users on this forum.

�35 seems a little steep to me but that may be the going rate for unlocking BB's in the UK. A reputable unlocking service will refund your money if they cannot source an unlock code for your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-08 06:15 AM
    Well in the end I got a "friend" who is an Orange customer to ring and request the unlock code which will take between 7 & 14 days and cost me �20 - thiefs basically.

The last time I bought a mobile phone was around 2000, one of those �29.99 jobbies from Woolworths ... I guess times have changed.

J.
    05-27-08 02:49 AM
    Congrats on your new device.
    05-27-08 03:03 AM
    Cool thanks, can't wait to get using it properly now. Been through the BlackBerry 101 guide so am learning lots !!
    05-27-08 07:35 AM
    Hi - I was just trying to find out what Blackberry Maps was and apart from the general stuff I don't see how to use it? Can anyone help or post a link on how to use it? I downloaded the app. and now I have a "maps" icon but opening it just shows pretty blank lanscape - scolling around does nothing.

I tried a search on it but as soon as I enter the location another box appears on screen to far to quickly to see what it is and then disappears leaving me back at the search function?

Is this a subscription service or something ... apologies if this is all obvious stuff.

J.
    06-02-08 01:34 PM
    Well to say I am unhappy with Orange is a huge understatement. I rang them 11 days ago to request the unlock code and was told it would take 10-15 days. So thought I would ring to see what has happened, well NOTHING. The phone monkey tells me there's been a "technical problem" - basically the bell-end I spoke to took my �20 but couldn't be arsed or were too stupid to actually process it properly.

I now have to wait another 5 days, but they will be passing this to their "Supervisor" to see what's happened - I know whats happened f*ck all. So to be on the safe side going to ring again tomorrow to make sure they've got off their arses and done something - Orange customer service has been sh*t to say the least - will never ever have anything to do with them again.

How difficult can it be? What complete *****.
    06-05-08 04:17 PM
    welcome to cb! enjoy
    06-05-08 04:23 PM
    Yay!! I got my unlock code finally ... and it worked. So can finally use it, need to read the manual now and maybe get a bigger memory card & def. getting a silicone case for it.
    06-19-08 05:16 AM
    Thought I'd reply to this as somene emailed me about this & I managed to delete there email ... doh.

But in answer to your question, yes my Curve works exactly the same on T-Mobile now it's unlocked. Still got the orange logo when I switch it on but hardly a problem !!

Thanks - J.
    09-29-08 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD