Former Treo user here. Coming from a Treo to BB, the BB's task application is really bad. Also miss the Treo's "Lookup" (Menu L) feature to quickly look up contacts while in tasks and calender to paste them in. Other than that, the BB is far, far, far surperior. It is a very stable piece of love in my hands!
    04-04-08 04:17 PM
    You are correct. In options, I have "Keep Appointments" set to "Forever." I have 647 calendar entries. Of course, with that many, if an old one dropped off, I'd probably never notice!
    With BES, do all your appts get sync'd up with server?
    Is there a way to firewall personal events like birthdays, private appts, etc from the company server?
    04-04-08 05:35 PM
    Media support is the BlackBerry's weak spot. Videos require conversion/optimization, and iTunes songs with DRM have to be ripped to CD format and back to mp3 to play on a BB. I did watch the entire first season of Heroes on my Curve, and it was sweet; worth the effort.

Video capture and streaming are not yet available for some of us awaiting OS 4.5. When 4.5 hits, watch out! Docs to Go, streaming, YouTube, larger memory cards, video recording, and more!

Web browsing is adequate, but EDGE is a tad slow. Opera Mini complements the BB browser nicely. I use the BBB for most mobile pages including Google, and Opera Mini for "Full" pages.

Overall, it depends on what you want a Blackberry for. Use, then decide what you think is weak.

Welcome to The Crack!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-08 05:42 PM
    Media support is the BlackBerry's weak spot. Videos require conversion/optimization, and iTunes songs with DRM have to be ripped to CD format and back to mp3 to play on a BB. I did watch the entire first season of Heroes on my Curve, and it was sweet; worth the effort.

Video capture and streaming are not yet available for some of us awaiting OS 4.5. When 4.5 hits, watch out! Docs to Go, streaming, YouTube, larger memory cards, video recording, and more!

Web browsing is adequate, but EDGE is a tad slow. Opera Mini complements the BB browser nicely. I use the BBB for most mobile pages including Google, and Opera Mini for "Full" pages.

Overall, it depends on what you want a Blackberry for. Use, then decide what you think is weak.

Welcome to The Crack!

Will I be able to update to this new OS4.5 when its released? Does it address this "memory leak" issue?
    04-04-08 05:44 PM
    [QUOTE=hks.imprezd;229325]Here's what I wish my 8320 had:
    Camera:
    Macro mode
    Landscape mode
    Burst shutter
    Night mode
    The Option to use camera light as flashlight.
    Memory:
    Need more device memory for appls and sms, email, etc--i can't stress this enough
    Video recording capabillity shouldve been active w/o need to dl newer software

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOT=

there is actually a 3rd party app for using light as flashlight. it keeps the light on. i think i found it under handango.
    04-04-08 07:15 PM
    Honestly the bad thing about it is compared to BB's other smartphones offer better stability and less stupid issues. I know i'll get flamed for this, but I've worked for verizon, sprint, att tech support centers. Most of the calls were for BB's. Don't get me wrong I like BB and other than that no real bad things.
    you wont get flamed around here man, your opinion is always respected
    the real problem is that people are stupid or lazy (usually both in my experience) and dont take the time to learn about their device.
    better stability on which phone???
    Last edited by kickinitlive247; 04-04-08 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo...my bad
    04-04-08 07:36 PM
    you wont get flamed around here man, your opinion is always respected
    the real problem is that people are stupid or lazy (usually both in my experience) and dont take the time to learn about their device.
    better stability on which phone???
    Better stability has got to be the BB. I have to pull the battery daily on my Treo 680. But since I use a 3rd party phone app with dialer, 3rd party calendar, and 3rd party volume booster, I'm sure that doesn't help.
    04-04-08 07:47 PM
    Will I be able to update to this new OS4.5 when its released? Does it address this "memory leak" issue?
    Yes, you certainly should. The "memory leak" issue is usually caused by people not closing apps properly, not clearing off the garbage they don't use, like foreign language support, and loading too much extra garbage on their BB. The new OS will, unfortunately, not make BlackBerry users smarter.
    04-04-08 09:23 PM
    With BES, do all your appts get sync'd up with server?
    Is there a way to firewall personal events like birthdays, private appts, etc from the company server?
    All appointments get sync'd to the server. You control who has access to your calendar, whether they can see the calendar, add events, delete events, etc. You can mark events as private. If you do, then users to whom you've granted access just see that the time is blocked off and can't see the details or edit it.

Server administrators and security officers can see everything. That's never stopped me from entering family birthdays, doctor appts, etc on my calendar. Our "appropriate use policy" is very reasonable.
    04-04-08 09:56 PM
    Better stability has got to be the BB. I have to pull the battery daily on my Treo 680. But since I use a 3rd party phone app with dialer, 3rd party calendar, and 3rd party volume booster, I'm sure that doesn't help.
    Get used to the battery pull. It's the magic solution to everything. I apparently have a bad SIM card and until I get time to get a replacement I have to pull the battery at least once a day. It's a painless solution and doesn't take long.
    04-05-08 08:11 AM
    Hey wait a minute, I had the Treo 600 and the 650 and I never had a problem with my battery life. Matter of fact I have to charge my BB a whole lot more than the Treo.
    I do miss Agendus, datebk, lightwav, etc but I can't complain...I love my BB.

04-05-08 10:07 AM
    JoJo,
    Back at it I see. Like I told you, you truly are addicted!!! Wait....I'm back at it too, does that mean I have an addition as well?
    04-05-08 10:11 AM
    Lol...oh man...I know. I'm sitting here waiting for lunch time to meet my friend at Top Carrot (healthy place to eat). And yes, it makes you a true addict too...lol.

04-05-08 10:17 AM
    Oh well, maybe I need to enroll in a 12 step program.
    04-05-08 10:21 AM
    Why?! This addiction is so much fun....lol.

04-05-08 10:24 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD