Hello BB forum. After a long road to the smartphone upgrade, I finally purchased a BB 8330 with verizon wireless. So far, I love it. However, I do have a number of pressing question. Let me start by saying I have had three different palm PDA's (not smartphones) and the ipod touch. I have worked with BB's before, but never to the extent of customizing and learning. So:

What is this standby option I get when I hold the "Mute" button? I understand what standby is on most devices, but it does not seem to do anything. Am I missing something?

Are there any email/web browser options I should set to optimize my machine?

Where is the best place to download music? I am used to itunes. Is Amazon the best place?

finally for now, what about apps? Where is the best place to get them? I see that BB has an app world, but so do places like crackberry.com. What are some favorites? I am not specifically not giving any preferences because I am not sure what is out there. If I download them from somewhere like crackberry, do I just use the desktop manager to get them on my device?

Thanks for all of your help in advance. I look forward to long use out of my Curve.
    06-25-09 06:00 AM
    Standby puts the BB to sleep and conserves battery and you can still receive calls and messages.

For browser settings open your browser and press menu and select Options then Browser Configuration and check all the checkboxes and set Emulation Mode to BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 06:59 AM
    Standby puts the BB to sleep and conserves battery and you can still receive calls and messages.

For browser settings open your browser and press menu and select Options then Browser Configuration and check all the checkboxes and set Emulation Mode to BlackBerry.

I see you that you have a hybrid os, and how might I obtain such?.......excuse me while I sip my tea.......
    06-25-09 07:33 AM
    also you can just download music from your computer ie. limewire and put that on to your itunes and just transfer it over to your media card. and if you don't have a media card i suggest you get one.
    06-25-09 07:38 AM
    Berrieboss, you can obtain such here...http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/833...-beta-245836/:

Last edited by blackngray70; 06-25-09 at 08:02 AM.
    06-25-09 07:47 AM
    stand by saves your battery as well. I use a website called waptrick.com that lets you download straight to your BB's memory card. and finally go to m.crackberry.com and theres an option that lets you explore apps, you can also go to the offical blackberry site and get some apps there.
    06-25-09 08:15 AM
    thanks for all of the suggestions. I am going to sift through all of the sites later when I get some time.
    06-25-09 01:42 PM
    ok, one more question about standby. Is it the same thing if I put the BB in the little pocket case it came with?
    06-25-09 07:14 PM
    also, how about a backup app that stores on my media drive? I used one for palm and loved it.
    06-25-09 07:16 PM
    You can use PhoneBAKup to backup your tasks, address book, calendar, and memos to your media card and email.

PhoneBAKup (BlackBerry): Backup software for BlackBerry

06-26-09 07:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD