...and have found a few things to try. I have spent a few hours searching forums and trying options etc.

I just got a used 8320 and have T-mobile service. NO Data plan and no plans to get one (I know I am missing out on a lot, but considering I am coming from a 2003 Nokia, I consider this quite an upgrade!).

Anyway, I, of course, am looking to access the internet without a data plan. I have done the following:

1. Set the browser to "wifi browser" (there is option for hotspot)
    2. Cleared the TCP (APN; username and password are empty).
    3. Disabled VPN
    4. Set connection to : wifi preferred
    5. Set network connection: automatic
    6. Set data services to: OFF
    7. wifi network connection: automatic

When I try to connect to a network (public library) it says I am connected. When I click on the browser icon on the homescreen, I have a number of options:
    1. T-Zones links
    2. Wi-Fi Services (hotspot login).......when I click on this an error message appears: "Unable to connect....contact service provider."
    3. T-Zones (homepage).....when I click on this an error message appears: "Unable to connect....contact service provider."....
    4. Blackberry bookmarks (homepage).....when I click on this an error message appears: "Unable to connect....contact service provider."

In all cases, the "BLACKBERRY" name appears in the middle of the screen while it is loading and then the error message appears.

I was told to go to this link: http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...ifi-how-47229/

I went to the link and found detailed instructions about how to reconfigure my router at home to see if I can connect with the 8320. I will try this, but how will that help me in a Starbucks or public library, etc??

Do I have the "settings" incorrect? How can I access wifi without a data plan?

Thank you for the help.
    11-20-12 04:24 PM
    I should also mention that when I first got the phone (about a week ago), I was able to get onto my home internet. What I didn't know was that I was getting charged for the access. I think this information may be important to my problem, since I am now not able to use a browser anywhere (at home, Starbucks, library, etc.). It is for this reason that I don't think the problem is with the router configuration (since I was able to use the internet before).

Thank you in advance for considering my issue.
    11-20-12 08:26 PM
    I wanted to add more information that I found after surfing for a solution.

I did a "wipe" shortly after I got the phone. Did this delete any service books that were necessary for me to use the wifi browser without a data plan?

The existing service books are:

1. T-Mobile USA WAP Browserc...

2. T-Mobile USA WAP Transport...

3. MMS Config [WAP]

4. WAP Push Config [WAPPushCO...]

5. Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser [Brows...]

6. Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport [WPT...]

Thank you.
    11-20-12 10:10 PM
    Ok, I recognize that I am replying to myself, but after researching my problem, I realize that this topic is probably not going to get many replies. This is for a few reasons, one of them being there does seems to be a somewhat negative view toward someone who is looking to use the Blackberry without a data plan. I don't understand someone who would look down on this. To me, it is just like someone with a laptop or an iPad connecting to wifi at home, in Starbucks or a public library...I don't see it as "cheating the system."

With that said, I will post the latest in my saga of trying to get this Blackberry 8320 to be able to surf the web. At the very least, I will be able to see the progression of my attempts.

I updated the phone by downloading Blackberry's 4.5? OS. I'm not sure I'm saying this correctly, but the phone was wiped and then replenished with 4.50.81. I noticed a few more icons on the homescreen and in Advanced Options, I noticed that the browser option other than T-mobile was now "hotspot browser" (used to by "wi-fi browser."

I then downloaded the Blackberry desktop software. From this step I downloaded Opera Mini to my PC and then transferred it to the phone using the desktop software.

My thought process was that since my phone would both recognize and connect to routers at my house, Starbucks and the public library, maybe it was the browser that was the problem.

However, when I attempted to use Opera Mini, I got an error message that it was trying to "connect to a low-level network." I did some research and then edited the setting in Opera Mini to "Allow," I also enable the firewall on the phone.

Then when I tried Opera Mini, I got a new error message that said, "the application operette 4$2dhifi has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is, not allowed by your IT policy."

I need to take a break from this problem because it is rather frustrating. The frustration stems from the fact that there are people out there who have mentioned they have been able to access wi-fi and surf the web without a data plan. In addition, I just don't understand why I can easily access wi-fi networks with my laptop, but somehow, this wi-fi enable Blackberry phone has presented so many problems to this end.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    11-21-12 09:09 PM
    Hello all,

I just wanted you to all know the issue has been solved.

My solution can be seen in this thread:

8320 trouble with wi-fi - BlackBerry Forums Support Community

So, for those few who only use wifi on their Blackberry phone, if you have T-Mobile, you CAN use wifi just like a laptop or iPad and not have to pay for data. It was not an easy process having purchased a second-hand Blackberry, but it IS possible.
    Spykedjadedragon likes this.
    11-22-12 11:30 AM