Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Network says disabled (unlocked) but still have SOS signal

I have a blackberry 8310 thats is unlocked and is originally from the rogers carrier. From what i understand, under advanced settings when you go to the SIM card menu, the Network should say "disabled" if it is unlocked. Mine does say disabled but when i put a different sim card in the phone i get a "SOS" signal and i cannot call, text, bbm etc. What is wrong???
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

Who is your carrier?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

virgin mobile
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

I'm guessing Virgin Mobile Canada? If so, Virgin Mobile, Bell and Telus only have HSPA networks and don't have the original EDGE network. Therefore only Blackberry RIM devices 9xxx and up will work. The 8310 didn't have 3G or HSPA, only 2G (EDGE) bands.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

you make sense but virgin mobile canada now has 3G and hspa phones thatg have sim cards, so why wouldnt it work now that they have phones on the broadband??
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

When Virgin Mobile, Bell and Telus all launched their HSPA (3G) networks ,they did not bother to go and setup their network to support edge which is required for the curve 8310. networks are not backwards compatible, the carrier has to build the network to support the edge bands in order for 2g devices to work. Virgin will never do this as its not in their best interest all new SIM card phones are not focused on EDGE but 3G and HSPA+. As well since they and Bell claim that they have one of Canada's best coverage they have no need to support edge as almost all areas Rogers neded edge is covered currently by Bell and Virgin's HSPA network with the exception of certain areas of Manitoba and Sask.

Hopes this helps
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

oh ok i understand now, thanks i appreciate it you were a big help
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have a blackberry 8520 thats is unlocked and is originally from the rogers carrier. From what i understand, under advanced settings when you go to the SIM card menu, the Network should say "disabled" if it is unlocked. Mine does say disabled but when i put a different sim card in the phone i get a "SOS" signal and i cannot call, text, bbm etc. What is wrong???