as of late, at my house i cannot use my phone for calls because after any random amount of time (usually less than five minutes) my phone starts static-ing and then makes a painfully loud squealing static noise, then cuts out all sound...

its like i have a bad signal, but with static... and my phone still says i have great connection...

i'd assume it was because my phone has been very mistreated as i am a txt addict (atleast 1 or 2 per minute from time i wake up) and am also incure-ably clumsy so i drop it alot... but my dad has a curve also, and his is treated very nicely and has the exact same problems at our house...

txting works fine as does internet... just calls have insanely loud static come on randomly...

if this is a network issue what sort of hoops will i have to jump through to get it fixed
    08-06-08 03:37 AM
    Not sure what is causing this especially since I don't have your phon ein my hand. I think that the first step is to call your carrier and ask them for help. 2nd I would try any other cell phone in your house especially one on the same carrier. I would also try another SIM card in your phone.

Unless someone comes up and says 'Oh yes, I know what that is.' you are going to have to go with change one thing at a time, trial and error.

ATA& have every interest in fixing your problem since the cannot make momey off your phone calls if you cannot make any so I'd ask them for help.
    08-06-08 04:32 AM
    Sounds to me like some kind of interference.
    08-06-08 05:09 AM
    What happens when you go outside of your house and make a call?
    08-06-08 05:18 AM
    Have you recently installed or relocated a wireless router? My Linksys 802.11b produced a similar effect in my cordless phones. I switched to 5GHz phones and that solved it. You might try unplugging the router and see if that fixes it. As Pete said, it may be a trial and error process.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-08 05:21 AM
    The BB will cause this interference with certain telephone headsets. For example, at work, I use a headset plugged into my phone. The BB interferes with it. At home, or on any other normal phone handset, there is no problem. You can here the interference on computer and radio speakers, too. The BB needs to be about 6 feet from the phone or speaker to avoid the noise.
    08-06-08 05:38 AM
    Have you recently installed or relocated a wireless router? My Linksys 802.11b produced a similar effect in my cordless phones. I switched to 5GHz phones and that solved it. You might try unplugging the router and see if that fixes it. As Pete said, it may be a trial and error process.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Phones operating on the same frequency band will do this if the are not 'aware' of the router. I had a similar issue with a wireless video sender. It just transmitted regardless and killed the WiFi. It got unplugged about 30 secs later and has not been activated since. The best phones for this are DECT compatible because the use nearly the same protocol (except for multi-pathing) as GSM (yeah I know you are a CDMA man, Jeff).

However the OP has two phones that are being affected and this leads me to believe that there is a rougue RF source nearby. This could be an old 11b router or a cordless phone or it could also be a video sender or an RF All-In-One remote control.

I am hoping to establish first that all cell phones do this in his house. Then have AT&T say that it is/is not their problem and maybe have them identify what sort of interference they think it is by the CSR listening to the noise. This part I have already asked the OP to do. Then I intend to move on to ask him to switch off various appliances until we hit gold.

It is a plan of great cunningness that will not fail - until it fails.
    08-06-08 05:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD