Ok, I'm sure 100 of these posts have happened before, but I'm too lazy to look. Here is my situation:

My trackball works, but doesn't work, and none of my keys work. I can see an incoming call, but because my keys have shorted out apparently, I can't answer the phone. I can navigate around the screen with my trackball, but I can't click on anything with it. So, phone calls, emails and texts have gone unanswered for a week now. My warranty is up and I don't have insurance on the phone, and I'm 3 months from upgrade availability. Went to the ATT Store and they basically told me I have to buy a new phone at full retail price, which is like $400. That is ridiculous I told them. Your equipment malfunctions and I have to buy a new phone. How convenient and prosperous for you.

Is this repairable? It seems to me a system in my phone has shorted out. Its not just a matter of replacing a trackball. I'm not very good with any kind of electronics, so if someone tells me to "wipe my os and reinstall" I would have no idea how to do that.

Any recommendations? What would you do if you are in my situation? I've researched repair centers around Los Angeles (i'm in South Bay) but haven't come up with much. I've also looked online at Craigslist to see if anyone is selling a blackberry for a decent amount. I don't even need to continue with a blackberry, but any phone I purchase is going to be a full retail price, which is too much. I just need a phone with a full keyboard.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Please HELP!!
    05-28-09 12:51 PM
    Any kind of short that would cause the keyboard to stop working is not going to be repairable for any less than just buying a new phone. ebay has some I'm sure. Or you can call ATT and tell them you would rather cancel your service than pay full price for a phone and they may work around getting you're upgrade a bit earlier.

Lesson learned. Dont buy a $400 phone and not put insurance on it.
    05-28-09 12:59 PM
    You could just buy a BB off of ebay and use it until you get you upgrade from at&t.
    05-28-09 01:01 PM
    Another option that you have is pay $75 early upgrade fee and get any phone that you want at 2 year pricing...Good luck hope everything works out
    05-28-09 01:06 PM
    try ebay, i purchased a gently used pearl for my sister for $60
    05-28-09 02:41 PM
    If it's genuinely shorted out, then you're screwed. You could either get a dummy phone and use that, or Craigslist or eBay for something a bit better. Either way, you should have had insurance.

Just for kicks, have you tried a battery pull? Probably a n00b suggestion, and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but hey... if it works, it works!
    05-28-09 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD