Ive had my berry for a few months now and i cant stand the service. i have tmobile. tmobile has given me the run around with bs excuses about my service. i gave them the benefit. 5 months of benefit. they have even offered to send me a new phone (after i paid for the shipping of course). My issues are that my calls constantly drop. at first i realized that the handoff between WMA and EDGE was non-existant and resulted with dropped calls. so now i manually switch to the mobile network to make a call and back to wifi for internet. problem is that my calls still drop. i live in NYC. there shouldnt be an area here that has poor service, not to mention it's everywhere i go! any NYC addicts out there who can say that maybe its just me? what providers are you guys satisfied with because i think im going to switch carriers.

*ps- ive upgraded OS to 4.5 and the issues still prevail
    Last edited by jjspati; 05-09-08 at 12:06 PM.
    05-09-08 11:58 AM
    Both verizon and att are great in ny. I have both and no problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-08 12:00 PM
    I agree, both ATT and Verizon. I have used both services and have no complaints.
    05-09-08 12:08 PM
    I also have great svc wit my Sprint. Don't remember having a dropped call. My wife has TMobile an has constant dropped calls, where my svc is booming

05-09-08 02:03 PM
    I dropped (no pun intended) T-mobile for this reason. T-mobile isn't too great because of the 1900mhz they run off. AT&T & Verizon are the kings around here. Sprint is okay, but I would get the occasional dropped calls on freeways and highways and echoes.

I've never had a true dropped call with AT&T (upgrading my 4.5 has lead me to have some issues, but I'm back to 4.2) and I love it. I actually just read your P.S. and 4.5 isn't the way to go for better quality until the final release.
    05-09-08 02:09 PM
    im tempted to wait for tmobiles final release of 4.5 hoping that these issues will be resolved. maybe the handoff issue can be resolved with the software, but calls being dropped while on the mobile network is more of a tower issue.. IMO.
    if i change providers to either ATT or verizon, will any features of my curve get locked up?
    05-09-08 02:17 PM
    Yes (and no).

I'm not sure, but I don't think AT&T or Verizon Curve's get WiFi.

On Verizon, you can use the GPS, but you have to pay $10/month at least for now for their VZNavigator service. Rumors have been that they're going to unlock it in the near future.

On the other hand, Verizon's Curve is 3G unlike T-Mobile and AT&Ts, so if faster data transfer speeds interest you, you might want to look there.

I think thats about the only difference.
    05-09-08 02:25 PM
    I'm constantly in NYC and don't have the dropped call issues that others seem to have.
    I agree if it's only the mobile network it is most likely a tower issue, but it should have nothing to do with the frequency that the network operates on. There may very well be something wrong with the phone that causes the drops.
    My suggestion there is to call the corporate offices and ask to talk with the Excutive Response Team or President's Office. I believe the numbers for corporate are 1-800-318-9270 or 1-425-378-4000 and should both take you to the same place. (My numbers may be wrong as I haven't used them in a while). When I had a problem with a Motorola a few years ago and had a problem where I couldn't get more from customer service I called them and got the problem fixed without any issue. If they can't help you then your best bet would be to switch to another provider.

On the other points - I'll fully admit the Wifi to cell tower handoff is buggy as anything, but that's the only time I drop a call now. I go through over 10,000 minutes a month on my phone and I rarely drop a call except when going from WiFi to cell tower. I can't complain for the ability to get great signal in my home where no carrier has worked well and for the ability to use my phone overseas when I travel for free.

GPS is usable with any Blackberry with a Bluetooth connection. Pick up a Bluetooth GPS device and use Google Maps. Presto, you have a GPS blackberry. That should work with any phone that Google Maps works on. Works well for me, but I haven't used it for pinpoint directions, though I assume it should work out fine. Also will work overseas then as well. Should be able to pick one up through Amazon for about $50.
    05-09-08 03:00 PM
    4.5beta is going to give u issues with service!

05-09-08 03:02 PM

I had Sprint for many years the service was ok. Did get drop calls. I dropped sprint because I wanted to have AT&T and get the CURVE!!! I have no regrets... Everything is so so so much better!! LOve it!!
    05-09-08 03:19 PM
    I'll fully admit the Wifi to cell tower handoff is buggy
    I don't believe it needs to be. I too was having some problems with this but a simple programming change seemed to clean it all up for me.

I had WiFi connectivity in my office but if I left the building, I'd always lose the call. Handoff? Yeah right.

Then one day I saw a post here where this problem was being discussed. One of the recommendations was to check the settings in the WiFi section of the phone. Checking mine, they were all wrong. I changed them and haven't had a problem since.

Here's something to try ...

Go into ... WiFi connections

Go into each of your access point profiles and look at the box that says ... "allow inter-access point handover"

Make sure this box is check for all of your access point profiles.

Once I did this, all of my handover problems went away. And trust me, I had plenty of handover problems. Not anymore. Today my UMA connectivity is flawless.

Good luck.
    05-09-08 03:22 PM
    I dropped (no pun intended) T-mobile for this reason. T-mobile isn't too great because of the 1900mhz they run off.
    Awww, the at&t guy is back slamming T-Mobile again. What a surprise.

AT&T & Verizon are the kings around here.
    Funny. Consumer Reports and J.D. Power say that Verizon and T-Mobile are the "good carriers" while at&t gets substandard ratings.

Any luck getting service on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles cleaned up yet? Don't want to push you guys but since Wilshire Boulevard is the largest street in the nation's 2nd largest city and you've had horrible service since 2000 ... is there ANY possible chance that we might have a prayer of getting this cleaned up anytime in our lives?

Maybe it's just easier to bash T-Mobile.
    05-09-08 03:30 PM

Go into ... WiFi connections

Go into each of your access point profiles and look at the box that says ... "allow inter-access point handover"

Make sure this box is check for all of your access point profiles.

Good luck.
    wow i cant believe that this option isnt checked by default. all of my wifi connections are checked off. i hope this helps the handoff issue. thanks

i still need to say that i do get dropped calls when strictly on the mobile service as well.
    05-11-08 09:08 AM
    I've never had a problem when traveling to NYC with T-mobile.
    05-11-08 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD