Could someone please explain to me how to set the exceptions in the profiles(loud/vibrate/quiet/normal) so that the custom ringtones work for contacts when they call?

Currently it I have it working in the quiet profile but it uses the ringtone set in the important calls exception and if that check mark is removed it doesn't seem to use the exception set for the address book.

What I am trying to do is only to have the phone ring if it is someone in my contacts that has set ringtone. So if its someone callls that doesnt have ringtone the phone wont ring?

Thanks for any help!!!
    12-22-08 12:57 PM
    12-22-08 01:04 PM
    thank you for the link that helps some

but this is what I'm really trying to do.............

Only to have the phone ring if it is someone in my contacts that has set ringtone calls. So if its someone callls that doesnt have set ringtone the phone wont ring.

I dont know if this is even possible with a BlackBerry.
    Last 3 cell phones I had I could set to "no ring" but contacts that had assigned ringtones would still ring. That is what I'm trying to figure out.

Any info would be helpful.
    THANKS!
    12-24-08 01:58 AM
    Only thing that saw was Address Book>Contact>Add custom ring tone>Mute ? So if want to accept calls from Jane Doe but not Jane Someone set custom tone for Doe and set Someone to Mute? Dunno if that helps or not.
    12-24-08 02:07 AM
    I have a simular question, and cant seem to find it's answer either.

I have a BB Curve
    I want to set - a ring, sms, mms, email, voicemail etc - to only one specific person.
    I have custom ring tones set for - family, work, friends etc

I have followed all the instructions provided by CB, my help menu, and other internet sources. IE: made a new profile, made an exception etc.

What I want is, when a specific person texts me, or mms me, or calls (which I have that already working), sends email etc, a custom tone will work, and bypass all of the other custom tones for texts, mms, emails etc.

I want it to work in all Profiles. I mainly use LOUD. I want this specific person’s custom tone to work in ALL profiles, whichever I choose to use. At the moment it only works in the custom profile that I made for this specific person.

Can someone help, and please, talk to me like I am a 5 year old. I have spent to much time reading and rereading the same steps over, and still can not get it to work.
    12-31-08 12:35 AM
    What setting is it on an 8330 curve to attach a ring tone for voice mail?
    01-02-09 08:00 PM
    I have the same problem.I currently keep my 8330 in vibrate mode for all calls. However i want it to ring if someone important calls(wife, family) so that it wakes me when they call in the middle of the night. Using the instructions posted by suncast, It will ring when anyone calls such as unimportant people that i dont want waking me,as well as emails,etc.
    01-29-09 06:15 PM
    Can someone in laymens terms please tell me what jl 3218 is trying to do?
    01-29-09 06:29 PM
    This worked for me and you can change options in holster and out of holster during the setup.

How can I personalize my alerts from specific contacts?
    From BlackBerryFAQ

This workaround will allow you to have specific alerts for email and messages from specific senders:

(Works with OS 4.2 and above)

1. Go to Profiles on your BlackBerry and create a new custom profile, naming it the name of your targeted sender.

2. Edit and change the Messages, Level 1 Messages, MMS, Phone and SMS notifications for this profile to the custom ringtones you prefer for this contact. Don't worry about changing things like Calendar, Messenger Alerts and Tasks don't matter for individual users.

3. Once all of your ringtone settings are set for the new custom profile, save the changes. Now you will be back to your Profiles list and will see your custom profile listed there with the standard ones.

4. Now wheel click and select New Exception.

5. Title the exception whatever you want (would be smart to name it again the name of that particular contact).

6. In the FROM line, click the trackwheel or trackball and select the user from your address book. They should now show in your From line.

7. Scroll down and change the Use Profile option from Active Profile to your newly created custom group.

8. You may remove the check box from "Custom Phone Tune" if you already have a custom phone tune for this contact, or leave it and set it in the new custom profile as well.

9. Save the changes.

It can be done, I used this and it works great.
    01-30-09 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD