Device: BlackBerry Curve 8320 (Tmobile)

A few days ago my BB Curve 8320 spontaneously just turned off and would not turn on again. No blinking light, nothing. Battery was fully charged, the phone is only 2 months old, and was not damaged in any way. Battery was pulled out and re-inserted no luck. Phone taken to T-mobile store and phone tested with new battery, and still no progress. T-mobile replaced the phone free of charge.

I am struggling to recover my addressbook, text messages, and photos from the old device. Every once in a while when the phone is plugged into the charger, the old device will display a battery with a diagnol red line through it. I have attempted to use the desktop manager to recover the data, but again no luck. Most of the time, it does not recognize the phone, and I have tried what has been suggested on multiple forums, with taking the battery out, catching the desktop manager for the split second it recognizes the device on the usb port. I have been successful with that, but it won't let me sync or backup the device. It allows me to load the application loader, but when i do this, it prompts me for .alx type application loader files, even though i have downloaded the device manager software from t-mobile, so I am unable to re-load the OS. I also attempted to use the switch device wizard. This also seemed like it was working. I was able to connect both curves to my computer through different USB ports and it seemed like it was doing something, but when it's all done with the process, my new device still does not have my old addresses or text messages.

If anyone has any suggestions / advice on restoring my old device without losing the onboard data or some way to access the data so I can import that into my new curve, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
    09-06-08 07:46 AM
    Device: BlackBerry Curve 8320 (Tmobile)

A few days ago my BB Curve 8320 spontaneously just turned off and would not turn on again. No blinking light, nothing. Battery was fully charged, the phone is only 2 months old, and was not damaged in any way. Battery was pulled out and re-inserted no luck. Phone taken to T-mobile store and phone tested with new battery, and still no progress. T-mobile replaced the phone free of charge.

I am struggling to recover my addressbook, text messages, and photos from the old device. Every once in a while when the phone is plugged into the charger, the old device will display a battery with a diagnol red line through it. I have attempted to use the desktop manager to recover the data, but again no luck. Most of the time, it does not recognize the phone, and I have tried what has been suggested on multiple forums, with taking the battery out, catching the desktop manager for the split second it recognizes the device on the usb port. I have been successful with that, but it won't let me sync or backup the device. It allows me to load the application loader, but when i do this, it prompts me for .alx type application loader files, even though i have downloaded the device manager software from t-mobile, so I am unable to re-load the OS. I also attempted to use the switch device wizard. This also seemed like it was working. I was able to connect both curves to my computer through different USB ports and it seemed like it was doing something, but when it's all done with the process, my new device still does not have my old addresses or text messages.

If anyone has any suggestions / advice on restoring my old device without losing the onboard data or some way to access the data so I can import that into my new curve, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
    The symbol you describe is almost always a dead battery. Try changing the battery first.

If the phone will not start then it is very difficult to recover your data.

Once it runs, then you can sync and do a Backup or a Switch Device.
    09-06-08 08:02 AM
    A new battery was tried at the store, and no luck. Plus, my old battery powers up my replacement bb just fine. Any other thoughts? Thanks!
    09-06-08 01:05 PM
    Same thing has happened to me, but I cant get the address book to transfer from the back up files, b/c i have 3 different BB's. Which backup file do I choose to restore with? How do you know which is which?
    04-24-09 10:36 AM
    Nevermind!~I just got lucky, and chose the right one! My hubby is gonna love me! wwooooo hoooo!
    04-24-09 10:37 AM
    I went through a similar experience with my curve 8330. The repair center said it was stuck in a cycle that is considered fatal. He wound up replacing the unit. I have had BB's crash in the past so I have created an excel spreadsheet I update monthly with my numbers and websites. It's a little wok at the beginning but once you do it you'll be thankful when and if your BB crashes. It's like a PC, it's not a question of if it will crash, just when. That's why the insurance pays for itself when your precious baby has turned into a door stop. I realize this does not help you after the fact, but now that you have a replacement, go to the trouble of creating a spreadsheet and e-mail it to yourself and copy it to your memory card and a folder on your PC. Good luck!
    04-24-09 12:57 PM
    wow well thats not very comforting at all lol...
    04-24-09 02:46 PM
    they seem to be many folks out there who had had their life based around these bb curves and they crash like that unable to b ever used again...thats what i am afraid of because i am a college student an i dont have money to turnover for new phones all the time....i guess ill have no choice but to sell mine and look for something else
    04-24-09 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD