Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation NEED HELP ASAP! If I hard reset, will I lose my contacts?

I have the Curve from Sprint and...

Yesterday my phone began acting really slow and the hour glass kept coming up even if I didn't touch it.

I took out the battery and deleted pictures and what not and today it was still slow.

I want to wipe the device but I'm afraid to lose my contacts. I don't know how to back them up.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you wipe you will loose all the information on your blackberry.

Go to your Desktop Manager on your computer and plug in your blackberry and choose backup\restore to backup your entire phone....OTHERWISE all info will be gone
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    NED To A Wall

Are you running facebook? If so this is most likely the problem. no need to wipe it.
    RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

The only stupid question, is the one not asked.
    CrackBerry Master

If you are running Facebook, check out this link:

Always getting the hourglass icon on your Curve? | BB Geeks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yea facebook gave me problems too. Hope removing it helps

CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Yah i run facebook quite often but I'm not sure if that's the problem because I've had it since I've had the phone and then I recently downloaded AIM and it started acting up.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,067 Global Posts
    PIN
    Station

Had a big problem with my BB the other day. Call VWC and couldn't fix the phone. I was at work and he said to fix wipe the phone. So I wipped it and was so sorry I did. Before you wipe please back-up your phone.
    CrackBerry Master

What is your file free memory? You may need to delete the Aim app if it is a memory hog.

PIN
    ( ͡_͡)

So you know for future reference, pulling your battery is the equivalent to a hard reset.
    An actual hard reset is to push your alt> right shift>delete keys at the same time, then doing this again just as your screen lights up again.

PIN
    NED To A Wall

Quote Originally Posted by exelant View Post
    So you know for future reference, pulling your battery is the equivalent to a hard reset.
    An actual hard reset is to push your alt> right shift>delete keys at the same time, then doing this again just as your screen lights up again.

This is not really true and I will try to explain this.

While I was speaking to a RIM Development Engineer the other day, I asked the difference between the keyed and battery reset was. He informed me that the keyed reset will stop the processor clock to reset the device, but does not power the device down like a battery pull.

He said the prefered reset is to pull the battery as this is more agressive and resets things better.
    RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

The only stupid question, is the one not asked.

PIN
    ( ͡_͡)

A wipe should be a last resort. In fact, if I were going to wipe, I'd go ahead and install a new (or same OS). It seems to me to make sense to undo what you did just before it started acting up and remove AIM. Make sure you back up your device. I back mine up every couple weeks. This was a good thing because I recently lost my berry and had to put all my data on my new berry.

CrackBerry Newbie

I've been having the same problem.. I found though, that deleting the VZWTones app off my phone brought my practically lifeless pearl back to life!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    a Colada

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lastraid View Post
    This is not really true and I will try to explain this.

While I was speaking to a RIM Development Engineer the other day, I asked the difference between the keyed and battery reset was. He informed me that the keyed reset will stop the processor clock to reset the device, but does not power the device down like a battery pull.

He said the prefered reset is to pull the battery as this is more agressive and resets things better.
    Good Info!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Question Are my BBM contacts included in the back-up file?

Quote Originally Posted by woodyou View Post
    If you wipe you will loose all the information on your blackberry.

Go to your Desktop Manager on your computer and plug in your blackberry and choose backup\restore to backup your entire phone....OTHERWISE all info will be gone
    Hi Woodyou:

My reason to wipe my Bold 9700 is the same as the original user's. I have done the backup to my desktop manager on my PC, but am still hesitant to do a wipe because I'm afraid my oh-so-precious blackberry messeger contacts will not be restored.....are these included in the back up file my DM creates? by the way, the back up file seems a bit small (about 32 mb)...is that large enough to cover all my data and stuff...i have A LOT of contacts and other data.

Thank you in advance for your time, and hope to hear your thoughts on this.

All the best,

D