Somehow I just mysteriously went from having an average of 25000000 file free when I reset to now having almost 31000000 file free, but nothing appears to be missing - I was thinking the device deleted things, but apparently I was wrong.

Is this type of thing normal?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 06:49 PM
    Have you deleted any texts or emails? I mean did you have alot stored on the device? Whatever it is, its a good thing
    02-24-09 06:54 PM
    The Memory Manager did one of it's periodic cleanups. It isn't active all the time, it seems to look for idle periods unless memory goes critically low.
    02-24-09 07:10 PM
    The Memory Manager did one of it's periodic cleanups. It isn't active all the time, it seems to look for idle periods unless memory goes critically low.
    I am interested to know what memory manager? I am simply curious. I know of the memory cleaning one inside of security options but that is more for security and would not net 6mb of memory is there another one that I am missing? Please let me know since I want to run one myself..... Thanks
    02-24-09 07:20 PM
    You just have to sit tight and wait. When it's ready it will do the job, but it's all part of the core OS and you never see it as a task or icon. The only way you know it has been busy is when Free Memory increases without you doing anything. Usually I detect the change overnight which is why I think it looks for slack time.

In simple terms, each running application 'borrows' memory from the common pool, and the allocation is tagged as in-use. When an app terminates the memory is retagged as recoverable. That's where MM comes in, periodically sweeping up all the de-allocated memory and returning it to the free pool. In fact in many programming environments it is known as Garbage Collection.

Memory management will also be responsible for defragmenting the allocation used by other apps like Messages. When you delete an email it leaves a hole in the storage, and the space released can't be recovered efficiently until the whole thing is compacted to create one useful block from many small fragments.
    02-24-09 07:55 PM
    Have you deleted any texts or emails? I mean did you have alot stored on the device? Whatever it is, its a good thing
    No, I only have it set to keep messages for 15 days, and most of my messaging is in bb messenger...I really didn't have many messages on there at all...no more than 100 across all emails, sms, and mms.

I really have no clue what happened to gain me all of this free space.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 07:55 PM
    You just have to sit tight and wait. When it's ready it will do the job, but it's all part of the core OS and you never see it as a task or icon. The only way you know it has been busy is when Free Memory increases without you doing anything. Usually I detect the change overnight which is why I think it looks for slack time.

In simple terms, each running application 'borrows' memory from the common pool, and the allocation is tagged as in-use. When an app terminates the memory is retagged as recoverable. That's where MM comes in, periodically sweeping up all the de-allocated memory and returning it to the free pool. In fact in many programming environments it is known as Garbage Collection.

Memory management will also be responsible for defragmenting the allocation used by other apps like Messages. When you delete an email it leaves a hole in the storage, and the space released can't be recovered efficiently until the whole thing is compacted to create one useful block from many small fragments.
    Awesome thanks for the info. I learn here daily - gotta love that.......

Thanks again....
    02-24-09 07:57 PM

Wow! Thank you for this awesome information. it never occurred to me. I'm so used to working with PCs and defragging and all manually that I never even thought about the fact that the BB is really a small computer when put into basic terms. I always tease that it is so lighter than my laptop.

Thank you again for the fantastic knowledge you have passed on!

~Jazzi~

02-24-09 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD