I requested that I get on my works Enterprise network with my personal phone so that I could get my work emails (unbeknownst to them). What I didn't realize is that now the IT group has control over my phone. My camera and video camera are disabled now. The ridiculous thing is that they allow camera's on other cell phones, just not blackberries. Anyone know if there is anything I can do to re-enable my camera...Software, etc?
    05-05-09 12:12 AM
    This is interesting. I did the same thing. Reqeuested to get on work emaail because I asked. Not them, but my camera and video are not disabled. All still enabled

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 12:18 AM
    There is nothing you can do. Even if you remove the IT policy, it
    will push back to your phone.

If this is a company phone you will not want to go mucking around
    with the policy as that can result in disciplinary action up to and
    including termination.

If it is a personal phone an this is important to you the best
    you can do is detach yourself from the BES.
    05-05-09 12:21 AM
    I would have just kept it a personal phone. Tell them if you cannot have the camera you want to go back to using it as a personal phone. I mean it sucks having to use two. I have to use two myself.
    05-05-09 01:14 AM
    Yeah, I would not have my personal device on my employer's BES. As you discovered, they now have control over the device.
    05-05-09 06:14 AM
    I wonder if the company is disabling the camera, or if it's an inadvertant result of whatever changes they have to make to the device? I mean, why would most companies (with the exception of plants, refineries, and personal data agencies) really even care?

Also, how do yall get by carrying two phones around? I have enough trouble carrying one. When I did carry two for a day ecause I was switching phones, it did make me feel like I had more going on. :-)
    05-05-09 06:46 AM
    My dad does a lot of work with the Military, and many of the locations he visits for meetings and testing prohibit camera phones. So maybe OP's company has a contract with the government that requires the camera to be disabled on company phones.

OP, if your phone is activated on your company's BES, they control every aspect of it. My suggestion is to make a full backup of your phone, then request they remove it from their BES. I suggest making a full backup first because my company, and I'm sure many others, has a policy that if a person has a personal BB and has it on the company BES, we wipe the device when we remove it (yes, even though it's their personal device) because it had company information on it.

After it's removed, reload your data if needed. Then, discuss with your boss that if you're expected to be available afterhours, then you need a company BB. Yeah, it kinda sucks carrying two BBs (I do), but it's better to keep things separate.
    05-05-09 07:02 AM
    I wonder if the company is disabling the camera, or if it's an inadvertant result of whatever changes they have to make to the device? I mean, why would most companies (with the exception of plants, refineries, and personal data agencies) really even care?

Also, how do yall get by carrying two phones around? I have enough trouble carrying one. When I did carry two for a day ecause I was switching phones, it did make me feel like I had more going on. :-)
    Well one is a nextel for push to talk. One is my BlackBerry personal phone. The nextel is only used for push to talk.
    05-05-09 07:33 AM
    OP - although you haven't gotten the answer you want, you've gotten lots of good and correct information. If you only want emails, is there a possibility (after detaching from BES) that you can configure your device for a corporate web-based client (for example, Microsoft OWA) using the standard BIS config?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD