Hey guys new here. I hate to start a new thread as my first post on a new forum, but I just couldn't find anything on this.

The only thing that works on my blackberry is the track ball but I cannot click on anything, answer phone calls, or even turn it off. All I can do is scroll around the menu.

I have tried taking out the battery, plugging it into the charger and computer but nothing works.

Think I should just take it in or do any of you know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
    08-03-08 03:15 PM
    please remove the battery and check the two liquid damage indicators. the one on the battery will be white with red Xs or a red line and the one on the device is a tiny white sticker. if either of these is pink/washed out/red outside of the line or X's your device has been exposed to liquid.
    08-03-08 03:17 PM
    Bet you spilled something on your keyboard and shorted it out. If there is no indication that the phone has been wet, try to get it replaced under manufacturers warranty.
    08-03-08 03:20 PM
    Nah...never spilt anything on it (99% sure) and the indicators are fine. The keyboard still lights up too...oh well I'll just try to get it replaced. Thanks guys.
    08-03-08 03:28 PM
    also just fyi your profile says 8320 and verizon... you have the 8330...... 8320 is not on the CDMA network..
    08-03-08 03:29 PM
    This is the same exact thing that happened to my phone on Saturday. I haven't figured out why this happened. Never had liquid damage. Just took it out of my pocket and the keys no longer worked. I'll be getting a replacement tomorrow. Here is the thread where I'm talking about it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/no-...4/#post1499334

Out of curiosity, what ended up happening with your blackberry? did you figure out the cause?
    01-26-09 10:33 PM
    Did you expose it to any moisture even a little bit?

For example having it in your pocket while you were sweating heavily?

Or having it in a high humidity environment like a steamy bathroom?

Drop in in the snow?

Anything like that?
    01-27-09 06:15 AM
    Yeah I would just take it back...
    01-27-09 07:29 AM
    Take it back! I wouldn't keep anything that doesn't work.
    01-27-09 07:49 AM
    Did you expose it to any moisture even a little bit?

For example having it in your pocket while you were sweating heavily?

Or having it in a high humidity environment like a steamy bathroom?

Drop in in the snow?

Anything like that?
    same thing happened to me I guess that's why my keys aren't working either.
    01-30-09 08:12 PM
    my phone's keys stopped working and i think its because i sat on it to long ,can any one help me??????/
    05-03-09 08:43 PM
    Sorry to drag up an old post, but....
    My wife's Curve 8330 was not responding to key presses. The only thing that did work was the track ball. The problem started when a waitress accidentally dumped some brine water from a plate of what were delicious raw oysters on her phone. We immediately pulled the battery, tapped the phone, and blew on it to remove as much moisture as possible. Despite this the phone started locking up more frequently over the last couple of weeks. We were mislead as to what the real problem was because my wife, whom is addicted to themes, seemed to make the phone lock up every time a theme with an animated "hourglass" was activated. A battery pull usually fixed the problem. Tonight it stopped responding to anything except the movement of the trackball. On one restart the phone did give me a whole screen of 4 and 1's though. That got me to thinking about a solution. So I figured I would try fixing the phone myself before spending the money for replacement. We had nothing to lose: I had a non-working phone and the phone was purchased from an individual on craigslist.com about a year ago. Therefore it had no warranty or chance of repair/replacement from Sprint.

Ok, now that the long background is done here's what I did to fix her phone......
    I tore down the phone until I had nothing but the main board of the phone left. Then I carefully peeled back the white membrane for the keyboard. I was surprised to see how much "nastiness" there was under that piece of plastic that is supposedly sealed. I could see an especially large area where the "oyster juice" had gotten under the membrane and caused some corrosion around the 4 and 1 button contacts. This lead me to believe that I may actually be able to correct the problem.

I thoroughly cleaned the contact areas and the back of the keyboard membrane with a cotton swab soaked in isopropyl alcohol. When I was sure all of the corrosion and dirt were removed I gave the phone a few minutes of drying time. Last, I put everything back together and tested the phone. So far everything appears to work fine.

Some things I learned:
    - There is an additional moisture indicator on the keyboard membrane just below the trackball. It was pink and had obviously seem moisture. (Those sure were some good oysters, the beer was good too If you are ever in Virginia Beach you must check out Regal Beagle at 17th and Mediterranean.)
    - A clean dust free environment is a MAJOR help when it comes to keeping the screen dust and scratch free when re-assembling the phone.
    - Be very careful when pulling the membrane from the keyboard because it does stretch easily and may not go back in place.

After doing what was hopefully a successful repair on my wife's phone I am left with some concerns. How soon before something like this happens again? We love oysters and beer so that could potentially open us up for some risk, but in all seriousness....
    If someone exercising or doing any type of labor was to sweat excessively then put the phone in a pocket they could have the same type of problem because there is not a good seal between the main housing and the internals. Sweat could easily get in to the phone and cause the same type of corrosion that brine from the oysters caused for us.

The disclaimer:
    I am not a phone repair person. I dont have any certifications. I dont work at any major cell phone manufacturer or retailer. So please don't take this post as a qualified recommendation or instruction on phone repair. Now, if you want to send me a phone to "play with" along with a few dollars and not expect anything in return I might be able to help out. Who knows you might actually get a working phone back in the mail a day, or two, or a year later.
    Last edited by stormyva; 09-25-09 at 10:27 PM.
    Rockin8330 likes this.
    09-25-09 09:59 PM
    My wife's Curve 8330 was not responding to key presses. The only thing that did work was the track ball. The problem started when a waitress accidentally dumped some brine water from a plate of what were delicious raw oysters on her phone. We immediately pulled the battery, tapped the phone, and blew on it to remove as much moisture as possible. Despite this the phone started locking up more frequently. We were mislead because my wife whom is addicted to themes seemed to make the phone lock up every time a theme with an animated "hourglass" was activated the phone would lock up. A battery pull usually fixed the problem. Tonight stopped responding to anything except the trackball. On one restart the phone did give me a whole screen of 4 and 1's.
    Ok, now that the long background is done here's what I did to fix her phone......
    I tore down the phone until I had nothing but the main board of the phone left. Then I carefully peeled back the white membrane for the keyboard. I was surprised to see how much "nastiness" there was under that piece of plastic that is supposedly sealed. I could see an especially large amount of corrosion around the 4 and 1 button contacts. This lead me to believe that I may be able to correct the problem. Next, I used some cotton swabs dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean the contact areas as well as the back of the keyboard membrane. After allowing a few minutes of drying time I put everything back together and tested the phone. So far appears to work fine.
    Some disclaimers: 1) I am not a phone repair person so don't take this as a qualified recommendation or instruction on phone repair. 2) We had nothing to lose on this phone as it was purchased from an individual on craigslist.com about a year ago and therefore had no warranty or chance of repair/replacement from Sprint.
    A clean dust free environment is a MAJOR help when it comes to keeping the screen dust and scratch free when re-assembling the phone.
    Be very careful when pulling the membrane from the keyboard because it does stretch easily and may not go back in place.
    Great to hear its working again!
    09-25-09 10:10 PM
    My wife's Curve 8330 was not responding to key presses. The only thing that did work was the track ball. The problem started when a waitress accidentally dumped some brine water from a plate of what were delicious raw oysters on her phone. We immediately pulled the battery, tapped the phone, and blew on it to remove as much moisture as possible. Despite this the phone started locking up more frequently over the last couple of weeks. We were mislead as to what the real problem was because my wife, whom is addicted to themes, seemed to make the phone lock up every time a theme with an animated "hourglass" was activated. A battery pull usually fixed the problem. Tonight it stopped responding to anything except the movement of the trackball. On one restart the phone did give me a whole screen of 4 and 1's though. That got me to thinking about a solution. So I figured I would try fixing the phone myself before spending the money for replacement. We had nothing to lose: I had a non-working phone and the phone was purchased from an individual on craigslist.com about a year ago. Therefore it had no warranty or chance of repair/replacement from Sprint.

I tore down the phone until I had nothing but the main board of the phone left. Then I carefully peeled back the white membrane for the keyboard. I was surprised to see how much "nastiness" there was under that piece of plastic that is supposedly sealed. I could see an especially large area where the "oyster juice" had gotten under the membrane and caused some corrosion around the 4 and 1 button contacts. This lead me to believe that I may actually be able to correct the problem.

I thoroughly cleaned the contact areas and the back of the keyboard membrane with a cotton swab soaked in isopropyl alcohol. When I was sure all of the corrosion and dirt were removed I gave the phone a few minutes of drying time. Last, I put everything back together and tested the phone. So far everything appears to work fine.

Some things I learned:
    - There is an additional moisture indicator on the keyboard membrane just below the trackball. It was pink and had obviously seem moisture. (Those sure were some good oysters, the beer was good too If you are ever in Virginia Beach you must check out Regal Beagle at 17th and Mediterranean.)
    - A clean dust free environment is a MAJOR help when it comes to keeping the screen dust and scratch free when re-assembling the phone.
    - Be very careful when pulling the membrane from the keyboard because it does stretch easily and may not go back in place.

After doing what was hopefully a successful repair on my wife's phone I am left with some concerns. How soon before something like this happens again? We love oysters and beer so that could potentially open us up for some risk, but in all seriousness....
    If someone exercising or doing any type of labor was to sweat excessively then put the phone in a pocket they could have the same type of problem because there is not a good seal between the main housing and the internals. Sweat could easily get in to the phone and cause the same type of corrosion that brine from the oysters caused for us.

The disclaimer:
    I am not a phone repair person. I dont have any certifications. I dont work at any major cell phone manufacturer or retailer. So please don't take this post as a qualified recommendation or instruction on phone repair. Now, if you want to send me a phone to "play with" along with a few dollars and not expect anything in return I might be able to help out. Who knows you might actually get a working phone back in the mail a day, or two, or a year later.

Just wanted to say that I have a BlackBerry Curve 8310 that was having the same non responding keys issue. Mine did not have liquid damage but was doing the same thing! As you stated, when out of warranty and will NOT work you basically have a brick or a paperweight...so, with that being said...we followed your directions on the taking completely apart and using a cotton swab with alcohol to thoroughly clean everything. THIS REALLY DOES WORK!!! Thank you SO much for this post!! After trying everything else like removing battery and sim card several times, upgrading the software...you name it...THIS WORKED WHEN ALL THE OTHER DID NOT and the phone is still working! THANKS AGAIN!!
    10-31-09 06:41 AM
    you got moisture damage.... check under the trackball for the watermark if its pink then you had water damage there.. best bet is try to let it dry in a bag of uncooked rice or what i did was just put it on the charged for a couple days and it warmed up enough to dry out or i just let it sit long enough to dry?? who know but it did start working after that...
    10-31-09 12:25 PM
    I had this same problem, and got it solved by taking apart the blackberry, going under the white keyboard membrane, and cleaning both the circuitboard and white sheet itself with isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks for the tips, and I just wanted to let people know that this method does work for some of us out there. The funny part is that I never spilled anything on the blackberry, but it just decided to lock up in this manner.

Oh, and to the Sprint Store that said the phone was busted and that my only option was buying a new one . . . go to ****!
    12-12-09 06:34 PM
    I did the same thing before I read this post. The membrane is improperly and insufficiently adhered to the pcb AS MANUFACTURED (READ: POORLY DESIGNED.) the 6 keyboard backlit leds that protrude through the white membrane are the reason for water actually causing damage. The circuit is basically a bunch of contact dots, concentric rings, and finally perimeters. when water breaches the membrane it bridges a combination of these three distinct leads.

You must determine the source of the breach. This should be tarnished looking corrosion. IF cleaning does not work, this is because the lead has been completely severed. If you discover such a discontinuity (use a magnifying glass) you may be able to use a conductive paste (not unlike rear defroster repair kits have) or some other method. my membrane actually melted ever so slightly and had a burr where the first instance of corrosion took place. The second location was more obvious.

Good luck, but cleaning did the trick for me. If you dunked I wish you the best...
    12-23-09 03:59 PM
    Wow. Going to try this with my moms old Curve that had this same exact problem. We couldn't get anything to work so she got a new Tour because she had an upgrade. Thanks for the information. Maybe I can unlock it and use it on Sprint if this will make it work again xD
    12-23-09 06:26 PM
    stormyva you are awesome your advice was great! I had the same keypad issue and I took it apart as you discribe and now my 8900 works flawless. Thank you so much!!!
    01-07-10 04:55 AM
    Followed stormyva's directions and my 8320 is back to life!!

My phone did the same exact thing.. would power up by no buttons would work (scroll ball would scroll, not click). Took everything apart (was amazed someone would even attempt taking that white plastic off in the first place, glad he tried it tho!) and cleaned it... it was obvious where the damage was. Put 'er back together and everything works perfect.

Only has to last another 9 days until I can upgrade to the 9700.

Many thanks to stormyva!!
    01-08-10 08:27 PM
    this trick worked for me too!
    01-22-10 03:52 PM
    Man this would have been great to know earlier. I have had this happen to 3 8330's! My phone has never been "wet" but have used it in very humid places or while perspiring- never thought that I couldn't answer my phone while sweating but trust me if your active be very careful this phone may not be for you! I found this post because I am on my 4th phone and was hoping to find someone that knew of a way to prevent it from happening. I have heard of the "otterbox" but the roller ball is exposed and I assume this is the problem area, any ideas?
    Ryan
    01-27-10 04:11 PM
    Just to let you guys know I just fixed my curve 8330 using this method and it works flawlessly now. I also cleaned all the other contacts in the phone with rubbing alcohol and now the speaker phone is louder too.
    03-02-10 08:17 AM
    Man this would have been great to know earlier. I have had this happen to 3 8330's! My phone has never been "wet" but have used it in very humid places or while perspiring- never thought that I couldn't answer my phone while sweating but trust me if your active be very careful this phone may not be for you! I found this post because I am on my 4th phone and was hoping to find someone that knew of a way to prevent it from happening. I have heard of the "otterbox" but the roller ball is exposed and I assume this is the problem area, any ideas?
    Ryan
    no the problem is the backlights for the keypad so a Otterbox would make a huge diffrence.
    03-02-10 10:18 AM
    I am glad I read this... I gave my wife my old 8330 Curve and within a week she found a way to turn all of the water damage stickers a pretty shade of pink... I had this phone for over a year without a problem... She has it for a week and this is what happens... But I digress...
    The keys and trackball don't click, even though the trackball will move the cursor on the main screen. I will try the method listed on this thread and see how it goes. I will buy the phone a scuba suit (maybe Body Glove?) if I get it running again.
    Thanks to the OP.
    03-06-10 08:52 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD