I've owned my phone for about a week and the battery life is horrible. After about 2 1/2 hours of talk, 30 incoming/outgoing emails and 20 SMS texts the low battery indicator comes on - this is usually by mid afternoon so I can NEVER make it through one day without charging it. It's been consistent for several days now and hasn't improved one bit. I've read some other posts of much better performance than this. Is anyone getting similar use or is my battery a dud?

If the battery is presumed to be defective who should I go to replace? I bought my phone online - and not directly through sprint.
    06-06-08 05:57 AM
    I have never had that trouble with a battery. I use mine pretty heavy. Do you have any app running in the background That coould be affecting your battery. Try closing any if that doesn't solve it call your SP and see what they offer.
    06-06-08 06:07 AM
    Leaving apps active in the background without closing them can use up the battery pretty quick. You can check by pressing Alt + Return key.
    06-06-08 06:08 AM
    I tried the Alt + Return but all it did was lock my phone. How can I check to see what is running?
    06-06-08 06:28 AM
    you at 1X or EV?
    06-06-08 07:21 AM
    I tried the Alt + Return but all it did was lock my phone. How can I check to see what is running?
    The keys you want to press are the Alt and Back key. It will bring up an Alt-Tab style thing like in Windows, where you can switch between applications that you have open. Make sure you are closing applications properly, or it can do things like eat up your battery, or slow down your phone.
    06-06-08 08:08 AM
    I have all kinds of appli. running on mine- battery life is ok... it usually last 24plus hours before I need to charge it. But the less activity I have going on my phone the longer my battery lives without charging.
    06-06-08 10:16 AM
    i feel like my battery life is bit lower then everyone else. yesterday, i had some time to kill and started to test out the phone a bit by using different apps. well by the time i got home it was down to 35% at midnight. i began my day at 7am with 100%, which means 17hrs of use? does this add up?

during my test, i used googlemap, brickbreaker, beyond411; all for maybe 1 to 1.5 hours (i did not use the all at once)
    06-06-08 11:05 AM
    you at 1X or EV?

The upper right corner states "1XEV"

So I guess both?? Is this a bad thing?
    06-06-08 03:17 PM
    I have had my 8330 since the first week it was released. I have used it the same as my previous 8703e and at first found no issues with battery life. Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed it drains earlier and is usually in the red by the time I get home. This was only an issue once with my 8703e. I do have apps running in the background but I also had this in my past unit and rarely closed anything completely.
    06-09-08 03:29 PM
    The applications running in the background may be my problem.

Is there a way to shut down all background applications at once? Will a power off do it?
    Last edited by MyThai; 06-10-08 at 06:28 PM.
    06-10-08 05:25 PM
    I have about 5 apps running at all times and my phone last at least 24 hours.
    06-10-08 05:45 PM
    The things that affect battery life are mainly:

- using the phone
    - not using the original charger and charging initially for several hours
    - being in a poor signal area
    - leaving bluetooth running
    - all the other things detailed by people in this thread.
    - a bad battery

A new battery is very cheap on ebay but I strongly advise charging using a genuine Blackberry wall charger but you can get those on ebay too. Using the real charger nmeans that you are sure that the phone is getting properly charged. In a case like this, it's the only way to be sure. That ad a new battery and the only thing left is a bad phone assumming that there is no extra software running.
    06-10-08 06:44 PM
    I have the same issue. Regardless of apps running in background the battery lasts less than 12 hours of intermittent-normal use. I switched to a vzw 8330 one month ago, initially I thought it was a bad battery, I have the battery from my 8703 which would last at least a full day. Tried that one with the same results. I have tried different screen/keyboard settings with no detectable difference. I just decided to live with it bat after reading this post I am not so certain. Maybe Verizon got a bad batch of 8330's. I should point out that I do not watch videos on youtube, do not use it as a media player, and only use the browser occasionally during the day.
    06-10-08 07:15 PM
    i need help with my 8310 bb curve i have a 2 gb polaroid micro SD media card i go to format it and it says format failed

let me know if u have any suggestions!!!!
    06-10-08 07:21 PM
    Switching between 1x and EVDO is what kills the battery. If you're in a bad signal area (you don't have very good strength EVDO)

but with you saying you have it now. what is your signal at most of the day?

@mld1106. Why is your post in thread that has nothing to do with what you are asking......
    06-10-08 07:24 PM
    I've owned my Curve for about two weeks and battery life definitely went down.

However, I ran into another a problem, click the browser and I see email. I popped the batteyr, rebooted the phone and browser's working. Also, last night, I turned the phone off leaving the phone on a charger all night. Battery problem's resolved. My Curve's still on and battery appears fully charged.

Somone posted several factors which consume battery life, poor signal, apps running in background for long time periods and the need to recharge the battery. Good list to reference.
    06-10-08 08:08 PM
    I am on Verizon and just switched to the Curve from the 8830. I used to make it through the day on half a battery. Now I burn through my entire battery by late afternoon. I am trying to get into the habit of charging at different points through the day. Other than the battery, this phone is perfect. It kills my previous Blackberry's in every way!
    06-10-08 11:32 PM
    I only charge my battery about every other night. So i get almost 48 hours on a charge with my "normal" use. Lots of texting, some email, and web browsing.
    06-11-08 12:36 AM
    Mine seems to last about a day and then part of the next. I think I had a lot of background apps open though so we'll see if closing those will give my battery longer life.
    06-11-08 01:16 AM
    I have the VZW Curve and I'm typically down to half battery power after 24 hours (and I charge it up at that point.)

The big things to check for are...

- Programs running in the background.
    - Low service areas will drain the battery, as well as heavy use over EVDO.
    - Having Bluetooth always running.
    06-11-08 11:13 AM
    I bought a 8310 in 2/08 and had the same problem. It would suck the battery dry in no time. I was told to make sure that I had the GPS/Telenav off. After the 3rd day I took it back and they gave me a new battery. I do have to tell you that a month later they also had to replace the phone so I can't swear to what the problem was.
    DA.
    06-21-08 04:11 PM
    I have only had my BB for less than a week, but the battery has been great. Sounds like you need to have the dealer check your battery and get you another one.
    06-23-08 09:55 AM
    So I just got the Curve (8330) a week ago. I have to charge it 2-3 times a day. Last night, I turned it off fully charged and when I turned it on in the morning it was down to 50%??? I'm thinking the battery is defective. Suggestions on the settings/improve battery life/is it defective?
    05-30-09 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD