The i.t. guy says the GPS is not activated.

Can he see were I am or where I've been?
    Last edited by tomthbomb; 12-05-08 at 05:32 PM.
    12-05-08 05:29 PM
    Have something to hide?
    12-05-08 05:42 PM
    Sounds guilty of something to me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 06:01 PM
    Thanks guys.

Great way to build up your post numbers but I need to know.
    12-05-08 06:06 PM
    Make sure. Take it to a geek and have GPS killed. If he lied he can't say crap.

12-05-08 06:19 PM
    I'm fairly sure that with a business account, the account holder (IT Admins) can locate their phones. Even if you have the GPS (10-15 yards accurate) turned off, they may still be able to get your location within 2500 feet by which cell tower your phone is connected to.

If you're gonna make a "pit stop" do it in close proximity to where you are supposed to be
    12-05-08 06:27 PM
    Good!!!
    My company give me a Corporate Blackberry 8320
    12-05-08 06:27 PM
    DariusVE:

12-05-08 06:39 PM
    I'm fairly sure that with a business account, the account holder (IT Admins) can locate their phones. Even if you have the GPS (10-15 yards accurate) turned off, they may still be able to get your location within 2500 feet by which cell tower your phone is connected to.

If you're gonna make a "pit stop" do it in close proximity to where you are supposed to be
    What if it is turned off?
    When turned back on can it give away my itinerary?
    12-05-08 08:42 PM
    Wouldn't it just make more sense to ask your IT dept or BES Admin?
    12-05-08 08:50 PM
    Yes they can track your location if they want to. Here is a screenshot of some of the location options they have. Hope this helps.

12-05-08 09:02 PM
    Wouldn't it just make more sense to ask your IT dept or BES Admin?
    12-05-08 09:06 PM
    [QUOTE=BlitzedATL;1117493]Yes they can track your location if they want to. Here is a screenshot of some of the location options they have. Hope this helps.

Now that's what I'm talking about! I knew someone would know. Thanks!!!
    12-05-08 09:07 PM
    Np! Glad to help
    Now all you have to do is stay away from the strip clubs lol.
    12-05-08 09:08 PM
    What about the taking the battery out thing?
    12-05-08 09:11 PM
    Now that's what I'm talking about! I knew someone would know. Thanks!!!
    Does not really answer your issue though. Just because it CAN be done does
    not mean your BES ADMIN does. Thus the suggestion to get the answer from
    the person/people that can definitively answer your question.
    12-05-08 09:11 PM
    What about the taking the battery out thing?
    I'm thinking a company that issues smartphones wouldn't take kindly to employees on the clock having them turned off.
    12-05-08 09:39 PM
    agree with leftcoaster.

12-05-08 09:52 PM
    To me it lacks ethics for a company to conceal that they are tracking an individual. Be up front about it. Talk about people that need tracking, how about some of the IT folks?

Just kiddin Pete don"t shoot me. :>)
    12-05-08 09:59 PM
    To me it lacks ethics for a company to conceal that they are tracking an individual. Be up front about it. Talk about people that need tracking, how about some of the IT folks?

Just kiddin Pete don"t shoot me. :>)
    Completely agree with you teal... spying on employees just is not right. Either trust your employees or fire them.

Pretty amazing technology, however.

Does anyone know if the BES can track you if the device is turned off? What if the battery is removed?

Thanks for the help...
    12-05-08 10:18 PM
    While I tend to agree with you both (teal and FNB) this is the
    other side of that coin.

'TRACK' TRICK - New York Post
    12-05-08 10:22 PM
    If you are not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

12-05-08 10:42 PM
    If you are not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

As a newbie, I've already learned a TON of useful information on this forum. You guys really know your stuff... and it is very helpful!

However, I see this attitude a lot around here. It is disturbing to me. Would you like the government kicking down your door to search your home. Even if you have done nothing wrong, wouldn't that concern you? (exit soapbox)...

Regardless of what you do at work, an employer should not spy on you.

Back to the topic at hand... Does the BES track the device if it is powered down?

Thanks
    12-05-08 10:49 PM
    No they can't track it if it is off, but there are logs that will show when a connection was lost and regained so they can assume it was off during those periods. It really depends on what you do for work. It is their equipment and they have the right to track you with or without your consent. I see this happen a lot for people who are on the road for their job alos and will say they're going to a remote site come to find out they were at home the whole time, that's stealing time and you can be fired for it. Howevern unless you are on call 24/7 I don't see what business it is of theirs to see what you do on your personal time. Normally I don't think they sit there and watch your every move unless they're given a reason too.

12-05-08 11:00 PM
    However, I see this attitude a lot around here. It is disturbing to me. Would you like the government kicking down your door to search your home. Even if you have done nothing wrong, wouldn't that concern you?
    If your company is providing the BB and paying for it, they have the right to do what they want. They can see any website you go to on your pc. They are paying your paycheck and have a right to know you are working when you are supposed to be.

As for the government kicking my door down - if they are paying my mortgage then they have that right. If I am acting suspiciously, and they have probable cause I can't stop them.

12-05-08 11:02 PM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD