hello fellow crackberry mates!

I have a blackberry 8300 curve. I've had it approximately 6 months and no problems up until now. The phone is out of warranty and what is happening is it randomly shuts off when i use my applications; for example when i use my music player, it will play for 1 song and the 2nd song the phone will shut off or when i make a call it will shut off with in the the first 15 seconds of the phone call. I have done a clean wipe of the phone and reinstalled the 4.5 OS, the phone still randomly shuts off. It is starting to frustrate me and I don't know if it has anything to do with the batter or if it's a phone defect. I always do a manual battery pull, but even though i do that when it starts up and right before it gets to provider screen it will shut down.

PLEASE! some one help!
    09-19-08 10:40 AM
    Your OS is the one that came with your device, or you did an upgrade? Maybe your 4.5 OS is the one that has the glitches and giving you a hard time.
    09-19-08 11:00 AM
    i have installed both the old OS(4.2) and the new OS(4.5) there isn't really a difference in the problem it is still shutting off during any usage of applications etc. I read in another thread that it could be the battery because in the thread it explained that if you put your battery on a flat surface and it rocks the lithium ion cells have expanded and the battery is no good :/
    09-19-08 11:11 AM
    Thanks for teaching me something new. I didn�t know about the battery on a flat surface. Then for what is seems, a battery change might be the solution, unless anyone else can give a "heads up" of what�s happening to your BB.

Anyone?
    09-19-08 11:20 AM
    well ill wait for anyones response, i will try to swap it with a new battery soon to see if it helps any. I hope it does thanks for your incite btw. =D
    09-19-08 11:34 AM
    UR Welcome. Good luck!
    09-19-08 11:36 AM
    Was it doing this before you upgraged or did it start after you upgraged. It might be an os glitch.
    09-19-08 11:43 AM
    Mine does that same thing... usually when I am on a call. OS 4.2. I do a reset at least once a day (I get a little compulsive sometimes and do it twice a day sometimes).

So I'll be looking for responses to help me too.
    09-19-08 11:51 AM
    it started before the upgrade, and as i mentioned earlier in my other comments it could be related with a battery problem as i have noticed my battery is not the same as when i first plugged it in. and the battery will usually shut off randomly around 70-75% battery charge. so i think i will ebay a new battery to see if it helps.
    09-19-08 12:36 PM
    I also have an 8330 and sometimes right when I hit the end key after a conversation the phone will shut down. This is my third blackberry curve in 3 months, I'm getting very annoyed.I would say it randomly shuts down 3 times a week then goes through security verification on startup. The software is updated and everything, I still have no idea what it could be. Probably just crappy luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading and good luck to all!
    09-19-08 03:06 PM
    First of all, thanks for all the posts, they really helped solved my problem and save myself the $ 400 of a new curve.

I've had my T-mobile Curve 8320 for a year+ now. All was going well, when after coming back from an overseas trip it started failing. Same symptoms described above, the phone would reset itself in the middle of a call (usually 2 min+ calls), although in the end it would do it with any power intensive operation (loading attachments, multimedia, etc). After resetting itself the phone would load up OS and all, but freeze the moment it finished loading (right after the T-mobile logo screen). I would be able to reset the phone and finish the reset cycle if the charger was connected; also, as long as power/charger was connected, the symptoms would disappear. Connecting the charger while it was frozen would also make it reset succesfully (no manual reset needed).

I went to the T-mobile store where I purchased the unit and described the symptoms, after much debate between the employees they reached the conclusion that my Curve was part of a defective batch they were familiar with and I should call T-mobile's customer number and try to get it exchanged for a new unit. After being about 1 hour on the phone with T-Mobile, talking to different representatives and technicians who made me upgrade the OS to 4.5, made me test a "new" battery with the store employees (later found out that either they never did it - they went to the back of the store to test the "new" battery - or they used an old, discharged one), get a new sim card, etc. they said finally that they would need to exchange the unit because it was defective. I said fine, after 10 more mins listening to their elevator music, the guy comes back to me and says that the warranty had expired about 6 days prior to this call, so he could not help me anymore. So I say, what do I do now? "Purchase a new one". Will you give me a discount for all that has happened? "Of course, if you choose to renew with us for 2 years the contract". The fabulous discount they gave me took it all the way down from $ 450 to $ 387. Wow.

I finally got to this forum and read about the battery. Now I travel quite extensively, and subject the phone to long discharge hours, heat, cold, pressure, etc. I took off the battery, and there it was, inflated and definitely not sitting tight on a flat surface. Ordered a $ 9.95 oem battery, got it 3 days later, never had a restart since. So, thank you T-Mobile + Store for the "help+discount" + ineptitude, hope this helps other people and saves them the hundreds (un)needed for a new curve.

Best
    Last edited by 3atlantic; 12-01-08 at 10:05 AM.
    12-01-08 10:03 AM
    my old curve shut down every time I was on a call longer than 10 minutes and they sent me a new battery, but that didn't help. They sent me a new phone and now my phone is finally not a pain. So I think if the battery doesn't help, you just need to keep bugging them for a new phone.
    12-02-08 01:17 AM
    i have owned my bb curve for about one and a half years. it recently started resetting itself; it will reset every 20 minutes. when i turn it back on it searches for a network. this problem started out of nowhere. it has plenty of memory and no third party applications. i am lost as to what it could be. i have put in a new battery hoping that is all it is. any other suggestions would be great. i am out of my phone warranty and do not want to buy a new one.

thank you
    01-22-09 08:37 PM
    I have a pearl 8120 (i believe thats the number)...
    anyway, i've only had it about 3 months but its not covered under warranty. It has started randomly shutting off for no apparent reason. I know its not the auto off feature nor am i pressing any buttons. When it does shut off it will not turn back on via the power key but i have to do a reset by removing the battery...which is a major pain. at first it was only happening once in a while, now it is getting to be all the time, at least several times every day.

I also have the latest software installed, plenty of memory, and a practically empty sd card inserted.

Any ideas?
    03-19-09 09:58 PM
    First of all, thanks for all the posts, they really helped solved my problem and save myself the $ 400 of a new curve.

I've had my T-mobile Curve 8320 for a year+ now. All was going well, when after coming back from an overseas trip it started failing. Same symptoms described above, the phone would reset itself in the middle of a call (usually 2 min+ calls), although in the end it would do it with any power intensive operation (loading attachments, multimedia, etc). After resetting itself the phone would load up OS and all, but freeze the moment it finished loading (right after the T-mobile logo screen). I would be able to reset the phone and finish the reset cycle if the charger was connected; also, as long as power/charger was connected, the symptoms would disappear. Connecting the charger while it was frozen would also make it reset succesfully (no manual reset needed).
    Boy, does this describe my issues to a "T."

I recently replaced the wrecked housing on my Curve and had no problems until my son was born last week and I started trying to send pictures of him via MMS text I had taken on my phone to friends and family.

Now, I have the exact same problems and even where I have to sometimes have it plugged into the charger for it to go all the way through it's reset cycle.

I went to the T-mobile store where I purchased the unit and described the symptoms, after much debate between the employees they reached the conclusion that my Curve was part of a defective batch they were familiar with and I should call T-mobile's customer number and try to get it exchanged for a new unit. After being about 1 hour on the phone with T-Mobile, talking to different representatives and technicians who made me upgrade the OS to 4.5, made me test a "new" battery with the store employees (later found out that either they never did it - they went to the back of the store to test the "new" battery - or they used an old, discharged one), get a new sim card, etc. they said finally that they would need to exchange the unit because it was defective. I said fine, after 10 more mins listening to their elevator music, the guy comes back to me and says that the warranty had expired about 6 days prior to this call, so he could not help me anymore. So I say, what do I do now? "Purchase a new one". Will you give me a discount for all that has happened? "Of course, if you choose to renew with us for 2 years the contract". The fabulous discount they gave me took it all the way down from $ 450 to $ 387. Wow.
    HA!!! I laugh because when I've been to the AT & T store they are equally ******** and don't know what they're talking about either. I haven't taken it in for the problem as I have no faith in those morons-- and yes, they are uneducated morons who couldn't get a job at McDonald's so they have to work at a cell phone retailer. But when I took it in to see what I could do about getting the housing fixed, they told me I was screwed and that it would cost more to get repaired than to buy a new one but your not due for an upgrade until February 2010 so you'll have to just either suck it up with your wrecked housing or pay $400 for new phone.

The next day I ordered a new OEM complete housing for $30... in the color I liked.

I finally got to this forum and read about the battery. Now I travel quite extensively, and subject the phone to long discharge hours, heat, cold, pressure, etc. I took off the battery, and there it was, inflated and definitely not sitting tight on a flat surface. Ordered a $ 9.95 oem battery, got it 3 days later, never had a restart since. So, thank you T-Mobile + Store for the "help+discount" + ineptitude, hope this helps other people and saves them the hundreds (un)needed for a new curve.

Best
    Looking forward to trying this solution. I just looked at my battery and it does look a little inflated (as you put it) but I really can't tell. Thanks for the tip!
    03-27-09 04:11 PM
    I have a pearl 8120 (i believe thats the number)...
    anyway, i've only had it about 3 months but its not covered under warranty. It has started randomly shutting off for no apparent reason. I know its not the auto off feature nor am i pressing any buttons. When it does shut off it will not turn back on via the power key but i have to do a reset by removing the battery...which is a major pain. at first it was only happening once in a while, now it is getting to be all the time, at least several times every day.

I also have the latest software installed, plenty of memory, and a practically empty sd card inserted.

Any ideas?
    It could be caused by a corrupted file or file system on your memory card. Did the problems start after you inserted the card? Anyway, try removing the card and running your BB without it to see if the problems go away.
    03-27-09 04:18 PM
    I had the same problem, bought a new battery and it completely corrected the issue.
    11-23-09 10:09 PM
    Had the problem myself a couple of times yesterday. I support a lot of BBs in a network and had a call with the same problem from a user today. I have replaced mine and the user's batteries, tested those that are suspect and, in fact, they do not lay totally flat. Time will tell, but thanks for the input. It looks like a solution.
    02-02-10 10:04 AM
    I've only had my curve 8330 about 2 weeks. I bought it off e-bay! Worked ok for a day or two but then started shutting itself off, it was 4,5,6 times a day, I tried the battery pull with no luck, I even bought the seidio 1500mh battery for it....still no luck, then I upgraded the OS to the new 5.0 version and that did it I haven't had any trouble since. Yee Haw!
    02-14-10 03:20 PM
    mine does that too its not big n problem
    02-14-10 03:54 PM
    I feel like such a genius haha, I'm a 14 year old, and I have had tons of troubles with my blackberry. The most recent was this, it kept turning itself off at random! But I found the solution and its not as complicated as you all think, I took a piece of tape and put it on the top of the battery housing, so that the battery fit into the housing more firmly. The problem with this is just that the phone is getting a little ware and the battery is loosening itself up a bit, so a small piece of tape on the top of the battery (side withOUT the gold part on it) and a small piece on the housing in the same spot that the top of the battery touches.. Very simple, I dealt with this problem for months and it started to happen more and more often, so I tried this and haven't had a problem since.

try it before you go putting a new OS on the berry or buying a new phone all together. Tape is a bit cheaper then a bb haha..
    03-16-10 05:10 PM
    My blackberry curve randomly shuts down and sometimes does not come back on. I replaced the battery 5 months ago. I am now wondering if this battery wasn't faulty When it shuts down and I plug the charger in , I receive an icon in the middle of the screen showing a battery with a red X in the middle. Why is my blackbery shutting down? Does it require updating, battery leads faulty, battery faulty, phone faulty? I am tired of taking it to clueless technicians.
    11-08-13 04:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD