Hello everyone, Ive a first time BB user and found your site packed with great info. Is there anyone that can help with a few questions?

When I am watching movies on my 8310 the backlight of the keypad goes on and off seemingly irradically. Is there any way to turn it off when a movie is being played? I remember seeing a post about this but I cant find it. I have BacklightTimeout=30secs. It also seems the brightness of the screen changes from time to time.

Also, when im watching movies the device lock engages every 2 minutes and I have to unlock and press play again. Is the only way to change this to not engage when its playing movies or do I have to enter a longer SecurityTimeout (currently 2 minutes)?

Finally I read in the manual that there is a setting that turns of "location tracking" of the GPS. In my menu i only have one option "refresh GPS". Where can I turn off location tracking?

Im on T-Mobile in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    Joe
    11-30-07 12:35 PM
    The light issue is probably to do with 'auto lighting', i.e. the room you're in, etc, etc...

I've say change your security timeout, and once you've made it a longer time while watching a movie, move the trackball every so often thus starting the security timeout all over again...

Not sure about the setting for GPS. But, it should be in the GPS settings / options section, no?
    11-30-07 02:38 PM
    For gps, you gotta get a program first.

the two programs which are free and absolutely wonderful are Google Maps and InfoSpace.
    Googles maps is great becuase its the best with directions, if you were to ask me.
    Infospace is great because it gives you movie times, dinner place, shopping, etc.

They both have GPS which tracks where you are and goes from there.
    11-30-07 07:27 PM
    Hi guys and thanks for your input.

Interesting, I didnt know that there was an "auto lighting" function. I thought i was going crazy as the backlight went on seemingly by itself when i turned the handset over... I was wondering how it worked! Where is the sensor?

The "tracking location" that the manual speaks of is not the function where you can see on a map where you have traveled from and to, but an option for the BES admin to pin point your location (or the location of the handset) by interacting with the GPS settings somehow. I searched in the HTML manual on the disc that came with the handset and stumbled across this.

Any ideas on this?

Will download Google Maps right now, have used the Blackberry maps so far.
    12-04-07 07:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD