Is a module that begins with net_rim a default module on my device? It was something to do with Plazmic media...just wanted to make sure that this was a RIM default module...not something I downloaded...

Thanks!
    08-07-09 12:34 PM
    Also, one more question...I wiped my device, so does that mean that it is like new (I restored it with a file from my computer)...
    08-07-09 12:45 PM
    Is a module that begins with net_rim a default module on my device? It was something to do with Plazmic media...just wanted to make sure that this was a RIM default module...not something I downloaded...

Thanks!
    Plazmic is a theme maker for BlackBerries, so any file with that name in it is a theme file, probably one that came pre-installed.
    08-07-09 01:41 PM
    Is that normal to have a module like that on my berry...the only themes I have are the original ones - I did a wipe of my phone after I uninstalled some themes I downloaded so they shouldn't be there unless that module is usually preinstalled...
    08-07-09 01:58 PM
    Since it says "default", I assume that it is the module for the themes that came with the operating system, which would mean that yes, it is normal. The module is not something separate from the theme, it IS the theme.
    08-07-09 02:06 PM
    I am not sure it said "default"...thank you though!
    08-07-09 02:16 PM
    Sorry I am so OCD about this...anyone know if this is a default module? It started with net_rim plazmic media...
    08-07-09 02:36 PM
    Anyone there?
    08-07-09 05:35 PM
    Dude, you need to relax. It's not spyware or a bomb or anything. *lol* Also this is not customer service. No one's sitting around waiting to answer your questions, we're just all volunteering to help others whenever we can. Impatience will only annoy everyone.

I was just in my applications menu, no it's probably not a default app, but it's definitely a theme file. There should be more to the name however that will tell you the name of the theme.
    08-07-09 05:52 PM
    There are many modules, but they say this: net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine Properties

Some say themereader instead of mediaengine.

It says it was created Aug 15, 2008 by RIM, so I am guessing that this is not something that was downlaoded by me.

I appreciate your help and any help from others as well! Sorry if I seemed impatient...
    Last edited by BerrySky; 08-07-09 at 06:11 PM.
    08-07-09 05:59 PM
    Whatever it is, I don't seem to have it (unless I'm looking in the wrong place under Applications?). Plazmic is a theme making software, so it's related somehow.
    08-07-09 06:12 PM
    Whatever it is, I don't seem to have it (unless I'm looking in the wrong place under Applications?). Plazmic is a theme making software, so it's related somehow.
    When in the Applications menu, click "menu" and then "Modules" then scroll down and see if you see something there...thanks!
    08-07-09 06:13 PM
    Okay, had to scroll down a ways, but I found them. They are there, and I'm sure they are part of the operating system install now. If you look to the right, the version number is there, and it matches the operating system version number exactly. So they're definitely not anything you installed.

And sorry about before. I should learn not to post when I'm cranky.
    Last edited by MrWheelMan; 08-07-09 at 06:56 PM.
    08-07-09 06:51 PM
    No problem, I appreciate your help! Believe me, it happens to everyone!
    08-07-09 07:11 PM
    How do you delete modules? Hitting menu in the modules doesn't show me a delete option.
    08-07-09 09:26 PM
    It depends on the module you want to delete. From my understanding, you cannot delete a module that was installed by RIM originally. If there is no option to delete, it cannot be done...I may be wrong though, can someone correct me if I am?
    08-07-09 09:35 PM
    Anyone else?
    08-08-09 10:39 AM
    I'm not sure if you can delete them, but unless they were third party modules, I'm certain that you don't want to delete them. Modules are system files.

Besides, you'd delete applications from the Applications menu, not from Modules, which is what I'm guessing is what you really want to do?
    08-08-09 01:33 PM
    It wouldn't be so much that you're 'deleting' the modules...I upgraded my OS the other day and from that I learned that you can slide modules in and out of the OS file on your comp before running either AppLoader or DM, which both serve the same function of forcing the phone to either upgrade/downgrade to those specific modules you left within the OS folder on your comp (the folder is found @ C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\xxx\Java on your PC (where xxx is the installed OS version)).

Now, before you get into any of that..removing certain mandatory modules can surely screw your phone up (or 'brick' it as they say), however there are many useful functions for this. Removing unnecessary modules to free up memory on your BBerry (see this How to Free Up Memory on your BlackBerry Smartphone | CrackBerry.com ) or for upgrading/downgrading to a new/custom OS. For instance, the .161/.131 hybrid OS that I'm running has modules from certain aspects of both OS's (Note: I followed specific directions from those who are knowledgeable on the topic - thanks again xliderider and Bng70).

Hope that helps/gives some understanding of how you can manipulate modules.
    Last edited by RHP23; 08-17-09 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo
    08-17-09 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD