I have a quick question for someone that might be in the know.

I just picked up the Tour 9630, and I love it. I upgraded from the Curve 8330. I picked up a new Curve (since it was only $20 to add that phone) because I added another line to my account, and I already had a Curve on the account from before. To recap I have 3 lines, one is Tour, and 2 are Curve 8330s. All of this is on Sprint.

Now, we're clear on that. Mostly.

Here's the issue. The new Curve seems to be running the same OS as the old Curve (.131), however it receives MMS messages direct to the phone (without having to go out to the Sprint picture mail site).

I couldn't see any differences in the phones until I saw that under the status screen the old Curve says it's an 8330 while the new Curve says it's an 8330m.

I imagine that this means that the old phone will never be able to receive MMS messages direct to the phone, and they've made some minor changes to the 8330 (MMS specific maybe?) to come up with the 8330m.

Does anyone know where I might find a list of the changes from the 8330 to the 8330m... I tried searching and found that particular search is not easy to get results from.

Also, does anyone know if it is at all possible to receive MMS messages direct to the phone on the 8330 (not 8330m)? If there's a simple setting, or if I can get a hold of an updated messages application for the .131 OS or what? On this my search-fu was not strong, and I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
    08-20-09 09:32 AM
    Your assumption is accurate, the 8330 will get a link for images through MMS and the 8330m will get the picture. Other than that and the differences in their identification numbers, I am not sure there are any other things.
    08-20-09 10:09 AM
    Another difference is that the 8330 will use internal GPS for Google Maps, and the 8330m only uses triangulation for Google Maps.

To clarify, Google Maps is the only program that has GPS trouble on the 8330m, internal works perfectly on every other app, but if you're a big Google Maps fan, it's something to be aware of.
    08-20-09 05:22 PM
    R u Thorbon???
    08-22-09 01:18 PM
    What's a Thorbon?

Thanks for the info.

We haven't tried Google maps on the 8330m yet, mostly she uses Sprint navigation and it works fine. Does anyone know if there's a proposed fix for that issue?

Also, does anyone else know if there are any other differences? So far it seems to run a little smoother than the old ones. I have noticed that I must use a different display, the 8330m has a yellow tinge to it that isn't present on the standard 8330's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 01:46 PM
    What's a Thorbon?

Thanks for the info.

We haven't tried Google maps on the 8330m yet, mostly she uses Sprint navigation and it works fine. Does anyone know if there's a proposed fix for that issue?

Also, does anyone else know if there are any other differences? So far it seems to run a little smoother than the old ones. I have noticed that I must use a different display, the 8330m has a yellow tinge to it that isn't present on the standard 8330's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The Google Maps GPS issue is a problem on Google's end, not RIM or Sprint. They are aware of the issue, but it doesn't seem to be a high priority right now.
    08-22-09 04:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD