Hey everyone,

This might be a silly question. I changed the housing on my Curve 8330. Everything went fine and smooth until I turned the screwdriver one turn too tight and snapped the head of the screw right off.

I panicked momentarily and tried a few quick fixes that I thought would work. from putting crazy glue on the head of the screw and trying to reattach it to the screw part (didn't work of course but that was my first panicked strategy). The faceplate was still on and it didn't look like it was going anywhere so I left it for a bit.

But it was annoying me because I knew I would just be able to pull it off if anything. So I tried using screws for eyeglasses but those weren't working either.

So then I had a devious plan. My mother also has a 8330, and she only really uses it to make calls and occasionally check her email and attempt to BBM me. She wanted to try one for a long time so I gave her my old, old Curve to use. Well, I decided to take one of her torx screws and use it for my Curve, figuring that she would never notice the difference. Especially because she keeps a case around it. I tightened the screw on my housing delicately this time and left my poor mother with only one screw and the case holding her faceplate on.

Moral issues aside, could this harm her phone in anyway? Her faceplate seems to still be securely (looks like it anyway) fastened and it only gives a little if I pull on it. I checked the charger and the headphone jack and they work fine (that's the side I took the screw out of). The mute button on top works fine also.

I feel kinda bad even though I have a bad @$$ looking black Curve with a red trackball

Will she ever notice (assuming she doesn't pull on the faceplate)?

and will it harm her phone in anyway?

I don't want her phone to fall apart out of nowhere now or anything like that.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any info
    04-29-09 01:40 AM
    You can buy spare screws on cnn.cn for the 8330 but there are two different ones on cnn.cn so make sure you orders the right ones.
    04-29-09 01:45 AM
    You can buy spare screws on cnn.cn for the 8330 but there are two different ones on cnn.cn so make sure you orders the right ones.
    Thanks Garz, I'll check that out tomorrow.
    04-29-09 02:07 AM
    Guilty conscience... it'll keep eating at you till you do the right thing and replace it. Lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 02:14 AM
    If I were you, I'd fess up and tell your mom that you are "borrowing" a screw from her Berry, till you can get a replacement.

04-29-09 02:17 AM
    If I were you, I'd fess up and tell your mom that you are "borrowing" a screw from her Berry, till you can get a replacement.

your right I probably should. Although I have a friend with a dead pearl so I might just take a screw from that to replace it. And endless web of lies and torx screw swapping.
    04-29-09 11:57 AM
    Sorry, but the screws from a Pearl will not work. They are the same as the other 4 screws on the Curve but the top screws (T5) are different altogether. I think you just have to order them from cnn and just bite the bullet
    04-29-09 04:03 PM
    Oh well. Thanks

04-29-09 04:08 PM
    Hey everyone,

This might be a silly question. I changed the housing on my Curve 8330. Everything went fine and smooth until I turned the screwdriver one turn too tight and snapped the head of the screw right off.

I panicked momentarily and tried a few quick fixes that I thought would work. from putting crazy glue on the head of the screw and trying to reattach it to the screw part (didn't work of course but that was my first panicked strategy). The faceplate was still on and it didn't look like it was going anywhere so I left it for a bit.

But it was annoying me because I knew I would just be able to pull it off if anything. So I tried using screws for eyeglasses but those weren't working either.

So then I had a devious plan. My mother also has a 8330, and she only really uses it to make calls and occasionally check her email and attempt to BBM me. She wanted to try one for a long time so I gave her my old, old Curve to use. Well, I decided to take one of her torx screws and use it for my Curve, figuring that she would never notice the difference. Especially because she keeps a case around it. I tightened the screw on my housing delicately this time and left my poor mother with only one screw and the case holding her faceplate on.

Moral issues aside, could this harm her phone in anyway? Her faceplate seems to still be securely (looks like it anyway) fastened and it only gives a little if I pull on it. I checked the charger and the headphone jack and they work fine (that's the side I took the screw out of). The mute button on top works fine also.

I feel kinda bad even though I have a bad @$$ looking black Curve with a red trackball

Will she ever notice (assuming she doesn't pull on the faceplate)?

and will it harm her phone in anyway?

I don't want her phone to fall apart out of nowhere now or anything like that.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any info
    Dont feel bad man, I did the same thing today! Although I wasnt changing my housing, just was trying to change the face plate because I cracked it at work today.
    04-29-09 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD