Is there a way whereby the MicroSD card can function as an extension of the BB's own memory? This way, low memory wouldn't be an issue. I'm thinking of something along the lines of a swap file in PC terms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-08 09:32 PM
    That would be great!

02-12-08 09:48 PM
    that would be pretty cool if it could be done
    02-12-08 09:49 PM
    It been talked about that the only good about windows based device is the allowed apps and other files to be saved on storage Cards
    02-12-08 09:56 PM
    Surely we could petition BB to add that funtionality. Now is the time, while the manufacturers are reacting to Apple. Whether it is justified or not.

02-12-08 10:08 PM
    I don't think they do that because it slows the OS down. If the Blackberry addresses the memory like a desktop computer does, the system memory runs as fast, or as close to the actual speed of the processor.

The flash memory card runs slower, as it transfers data on the data bus.

If the same practices hold true as for a desktop, the system memory would only run as fast as the slowest memory chip, in this case, the flash memory.

Microsoft is experimenting with this theory by incorporating the "Ready Boost" system into Windows Vista. It is supposed to allow you to plug in a memory stick in a USB port and use it to emphasize the RAM on the system. So far, reports of it working are not good.
    Last edited by GMJeff; 02-13-08 at 02:01 AM.
    02-13-08 01:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD