OK I need your advice,......

i have read the how to optimize your bb and i deleted the sample video, password keeper....

the apps that im using is aol, yahoo, twitter, facebook,google map,docs2go and i have 1 theme... yet everytime i look at my free memory im at 12453898 and im using 0S 4.5.055 .... I have noticed that i have gotten as low as 8mb. everything else gets saved to my sd card...

so how am i losing memory? How do i get it to stay at 16 and above? i do a battery pull and im back at 16....

Thanks
    Last edited by latinatwix28; 09-22-08 at 07:23 PM.
    09-22-08 07:21 PM
    that's because you have a lot of crapps installed on your device. plus, after using google maps once, it caches all those map tiles, exploding in size.

from a clean slate, .55 has about 24-26mb free. install file size of the apps you listed so far take up over 5mb. after install and the files are extracted and used with their caches up and running, you're crapps should be taking up around 10mb, if not more.

so it's not a memory leak.
    09-22-08 07:25 PM
    You said it in your thread subject, memory leakage. After running the phone for a while, and opening/closing programs, the memory can leak and your free memory will go down. This has been a problem with BlackBerrys for a while. Doing a battery pull every few days pretty much alleviates this problem.
    09-22-08 07:25 PM
    Are you closing out of your apps properly by pressing menu button and selecting close? When did you notice the problem, was it after you installed a specific app? Trace your steps back before the problem...
    09-22-08 07:27 PM
    You said it in your thread subject, memory leakage. After running the phone for a while, and opening/closing programs, the memory can leak and your free memory will go down. This has been a problem with BlackBerrys for a while. Doing a battery pull every few days pretty much alleviates this problem.
    there's a huge difference between a memory leak and cache growth. unfortunately, this forum uniformly seems to have no understanding how a data cache works, and wrongfully attributes everything to "memory leaks".
    09-22-08 07:27 PM
    I clear my cache all the time and have no event log recorded either...
    09-22-08 07:29 PM
    So do I and this started a few days ago... i might get rid of google maps... thanks alot..
    09-22-08 07:59 PM
    there's a huge difference between a memory leak and cache growth. unfortunately, this forum uniformly seems to have no understanding how a data cache works, and wrongfully attributes everything to "memory leaks".
    Yeah, and unfortunately both are a problem on the BB.
    09-22-08 08:06 PM
    get rid of the brick breaker too
    03-22-09 10:20 PM
    Is it normal to lose file free memory over time?

After my last o/s update 2 months ago, file free was at 42. Installed some new apps, went down to 38.
    Since then I have watched it slowly dwindle down after batt pull.

Before posting this I :
    -enabled memory cleaning
    -cleared cookies, content cache
    -manually opened, closed all apps (menu close/menu exit)
    -pulled battery

Still can't get better than 27 file free.

Do I need to wipe device and reinstall o/s to get back to 38, or would the backup/restore with DM mentioned earlier do the same thing?

The only suspect I have for all this is Pacman.
    If I play it a lot, file free drops significantly over the course of a day.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    03-23-09 05:43 AM
    What's your content cache size? Also, are you using content apps like Facebook or Viigo?
    03-23-09 07:19 AM
    cache size was 1571 ( i cleared it after checking), no facebook or viigo
    03-23-09 07:47 AM
    Also, verified that all pictures, movies and music are on the media card, not in device memory.
    03-23-09 03:20 PM
    that's because you have a lot of crapps installed on your device. plus, after using google maps once, it caches all those map tiles, exploding in size.
    Any ideas on how to clean these out?
    03-23-09 03:30 PM
    To clean up your content cache open bb browser
    -menu - options - cache operations

Clear content cache

Clear cookies while your there too

Sorry for the delay.
    I thought one of the abusers or geniuses would have answered this by now.

Is this what you were asking, or did you want to delete the apps?
    03-24-09 05:10 AM
    I don't use google maps, but hopefully it caches where everything else does.
    03-24-09 05:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD