hello,

how do I prevent memory leak?

and what is it, why dont I want it?

and how can I tell if I have it...or what will improve if I get rid of it?

thanks!

signed ,

mem leak soopernoob
    02-25-09 02:55 PM
    Memory leak is usually caused by an application that hasn't been perfected yet, or one that randomly draws from your file free memory pool. Being that you only have so much memory free to operate, a steady leak can cause your BB to malfunction and drive you nuts.

To find out if you have it, click Options>Status and check your file free memory regularly. Large changes downward in the # of bytes free may mean you are "leaking" memory.
    If you think you have one, do a battery pull and monitor some more. Make notes if you need to. If the problem persists, you may need to delete the offending app.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-25-09 at 03:23 PM.
    02-25-09 03:16 PM
    hello,

how do I prevent memory leak? and what is it, why dont I want it? and how can I tell if I have it...or what will improve if I get rid of it?

thanks!

signed ,

mem leak soopernoob
    A memory leak is usually caused by a program or software that you have on your BB. A BB will leak a certain amount of memory by nature. However if you have programs that are open and leaking a lot of memory it can cause a lot of issues with your BB. They include the phone shutting off randomly, the endless hour glass, the battery draining really fast and other things.

Just like any other computer the BB has a limited amount of memory. When it hits a certain low it can and will begin deleting emails, BBM's calendar entries and other things.

Those are just a few of the reasons that memory leaks are important and why it is best to do our best to avoid major memory leaks.

I hope that helps,

~Jazzi~
    02-25-09 03:17 PM
    Memory leak is usually caused by an application that hasn't been perfected yet, or one that randomly draws from your file free memory pool. Being that you only have so much memory free to operate, a steady leak can cause your BB to malfunction and drive you nuts.

LOL King.........you always have the short answer and I have the novel.

~Jazzi~
    02-25-09 03:19 PM
    Oh, but I added some, I saw the supernoob part and answered more about how to detect it.

02-25-09 03:26 PM
    I'm using an app called "MemoryUp Pro". It's pretty cool in that you can see memory leak in real time. You can also defrag your memory and clear up any application that have remained in memory after closing it out.

I've got a serious memory leak I'm troubleshooting now, I'm losing about 1K of available memory / second!

I suspect it's the O/S since all the background applications are closed. FYI I'm running the default T-Mobile O/S of 4.5.0.81
    02-25-09 04:04 PM
    sounds sweet, can you post a link please?
    02-25-09 04:08 PM
    think of it as similar to a computer.. when you start running low on memory, things start lagging and acting strange. hence you want to make sure that none of the third-party apps you are using are causing memory leaks on your phone.
    02-25-09 04:09 PM
    sounds sweet, can you post a link please?
    MemoryUp BlackBerry Edition | Boost Blackberry Software | Mobile RAM Booster
    02-25-09 04:19 PM
    i have 12.675 MB free right now.....is that good?

curve on tmo, v 4.5.0.81
    02-26-09 10:35 AM
    On my Curve, 12 megs free was the best I've seen. Not sure if it's good compared to other Curves, but I don't think it's bad.

I wouldn't let it get down below 5 megs free. Things seem to start slowing down after that with more hour glass activity
    02-26-09 10:41 AM
    I'm using an app called "MemoryUp Pro". It's pretty cool in that you can see memory leak in real time. You can also defrag your memory and clear up any application that have remained in memory after closing it out.

I've got a serious memory leak I'm troubleshooting now, I'm losing about 1K of available memory / second!

I suspect it's the O/S since all the background applications are closed. FYI I'm running the default T-Mobile O/S of 4.5.0.81
    Hey, I know you I think I recognize the user name. I have had the MemoryUp Pro since I first got my Curve and it is a sweet program, I use it all the time.

Glad to see that you made it over here This is where the action really is

~Jazzi~

PM me if ya still don't know who I am

02-26-09 10:52 AM
    8.656 MB --- gonna load the other mem leak program!

thanks for the info
    02-26-09 10:58 AM
    think of it as similar to a computer.. when you start running low on memory, things start lagging and acting strange. hence you want to make sure that none of the third-party apps you are using are causing memory leaks on your phone.
    Technical Answer Alert

Actually I don't think that's the best analogy given the differences in the memory architecture. Computers use volatile random access memory. Turn the power off and everything that wasn't saved to your hard drive goes bye bye. BB's use flash memory. Turn off the power or do a battery pull and everything is there when the power returns. PDA's like older Palms, Visors, Clie's etc. have volatile memory as well.

What's really happening with memory leaks results from using flash memory. On a computer, memory is used and freed dynamically. Thus when you start MS word and write a letter, the program grabs available memory to run and then releases it when you close the program. The PC OS and hardware is such that this can happen so fast that even if you didn't reboot your PC for a long time and your RAM got very fragmented, you wouldn't lose any available memory and wouldn't notice any performance degradation.

Note this applies only to real RAM, and not virtual memory which pages data to a hard drive. You get huge performance loss (I speak from experience) on older PC's with a small amount of RAM that requires lots of virtual memory paging.

When you do a battery pull on your BB, the OS and apps are loaded in sequence which maximizes your free memory. As you add data (emails, texts, browser data), run apps, and generally use your BB, bits and eventually chuncks of free memory get lost resulting in lower file free memory. The problem is exacerbated by poorly designed apps that probably don't properly allocate and release memory. When file free drops down around the magical 12MB, your BB starts to get sluggish, because the OS is constantly swapping in and out of a small amount of memory. Time for a battery pull.

i have 12.675 MB free right now.....is that good?

curve on tmo, v 4.5.0.81
    12MB is the general limit where performance drops and data such as emails and texts automatically get deleted.

To the OP, the real reason you don't a memory leak is you get 1's and 0's all over the place.
    02-26-09 11:00 AM
    Hey, I know you I think I recognize the user name. I have had the MemoryUp Pro since I first got my Curve and it is a sweet program, I use it all the time.

Glad to see that you made it over here This is where the action really is

~Jazzi~

PM me if ya still don't know who I am

Hi Jazzi,

Yep, definitely know you. Glad to see people I know here.

I'm itching to wait for my t-mobile contract to end so I can upgrade this summer. New BB means more memory, functionality and addiction levels.
    02-26-09 04:06 PM
    Technical Answer Alert

Actually I don't think that's the best analogy given the differences in the memory architecture. Computers use volatile random access memory. Turn the power off and everything that wasn't saved to your hard drive goes bye bye. BB's use flash memory. Turn off the power or do a battery pull and everything is there when the power returns. PDA's like older Palms, Visors, Clie's etc. have volatile memory as well.

What's really happening with memory leaks results from using flash memory. On a computer, memory is used and freed dynamically. Thus when you start MS word and write a letter, the program grabs available memory to run and then releases it when you close the program. The PC OS and hardware is such that this can happen so fast that even if you didn't reboot your PC for a long time and your RAM got very fragmented, you wouldn't lose any available memory and wouldn't notice any performance degradation.

Note this applies only to real RAM, and not virtual memory which pages data to a hard drive. You get huge performance loss (I speak from experience) on older PC's with a small amount of RAM that requires lots of virtual memory paging.

When you do a battery pull on your BB, the OS and apps are loaded in sequence which maximizes your free memory. As you add data (emails, texts, browser data), run apps, and generally use your BB, bits and eventually chuncks of free memory get lost resulting in lower file free memory. The problem is exacerbated by poorly designed apps that probably don't properly allocate and release memory. When file free drops down around the magical 12MB, your BB starts to get sluggish, because the OS is constantly swapping in and out of a small amount of memory. Time for a battery pull.

12MB is the general limit where performance drops and data such as emails and texts automatically get deleted.

To the OP, the real reason you don't a memory leak is you get 1's and 0's all over the place.
    lol.. thanks for the technical explanation. i will refer back to it if i ever see questions similar to the one in this thread.
    02-26-09 06:23 PM
    Glad I could help.
    02-26-09 07:06 PM
    I'm a little confused. Right now my file free is 50729804 Bytes. How many megabytes is this and is it a good amount to have? Mine usually hovers pretty close to this and everything seems to be running well.

02-26-09 09:24 PM
    Did I do something wrong? I went to that link and did OTA download and it downloaded fine. It looked like they were charging 15 bucks. Do I have a free version and the full version does a lot more?

02-26-09 11:14 PM
    I'm a little confused. Right now my file free is 50729804 Bytes. How many megabytes is this and is it a good amount to have? Mine usually hovers pretty close to this and everything seems to be running well.

That's 50 MB's, which is real good. At around 12 MB, you can start to run in to performance issues, and you BB will begin deleting data.

Did I do something wrong? I went to that link and did OTA download and it downloaded fine. It looked like they were charging 15 bucks. Do I have a free version and the full version does a lot more?

Many apps have a trial period. You can download the app and if after say 7 days you don't purchase and get a registration code it will stop working.
    02-27-09 06:27 AM

There's no possible way you can have 50 MB file free on a Pearl, it doesn't have that much memory to allow for 50 MB free. I think you're looking at the "File Total" number.
    02-27-09 07:57 AM
    So mine states file free 28801970 byt is that what is free? You are talking mega bites not sure if i am talking the same
    02-27-09 07:33 PM
    That's your free memory. It's 28 megabytes (MB). 1 MB = 1,000,000 bytes.

02-27-09 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD