I just recently updated to 4.5 and I figured I better check my memory because it had been a while since I had checked it. Well I had like 4mb. I wasn't okay with that, I wanted more. I followed the instructions on how to free up memory and it took me to a total of 15mb. I checked the next day and it was lower, same thing the next day. Now I am down to 8.5mb and I do not know why. I clear all my SMS and MMS and e-mails. Same with cookies and my browser files. All my media is stored on my 2gb micro sd card. Not sure why......?

Any suggestions?
    08-20-08 06:16 AM
    Are you closing out of your apps properly? Every time you close an app you should hit Menu>Close, not just the end or escape key.
    08-20-08 06:19 AM
    Are you closing applications properly. Press menu button and then scroll to close rather than just pressing the red end button

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 06:20 AM
    Are you closing out of your apps properly? Every time you close an app you should hit Menu>Close, not just the end or escape key.
    Yes. I always try and go to menu > close. If I don't I check my running apps a lot by pressing Alt+Back to make sure I don't have any programs running that shouldn't be running.
    08-20-08 06:26 AM
    Hmm I'm running 4.5 and found the OS I have to be very stable. I'm on wap so can't see your device. What OS did you upgrade to , was it a beta. Or perhaps its one of your third party apps not agreeing with the 4.5 upgrade

08-20-08 06:30 AM
    I have 4.5.0.55 - Vodafone

I am actually an AT&T customer, however, AT&T has not officially released 4.5 for my phone. This could be the problem.
    08-20-08 06:39 AM
    Not running .55 myself so can't comment on any potential memory loss of this OS. Perhaps a search on the forums to see if others are experiencing the same issues. I don't think you being an at & t customer is your issue

08-20-08 06:46 AM
    I clear my cache, history, messages, etc on a daily basis and I can usually get 8-9mb available...sometimes as much as 11mb.

I always hit the red home/escape key the returns me to the home display where I have my wallpaper and app icons, clock, battery/signal indicators etc.

I'm gonna try closing from the menu. Apps like Google Maps are things I always leave running. I never thought about closing from the menu...maybe this will help my situation too!

Thanks!

08-20-08 06:48 AM
    Woody you should also follow stoner's guide to free up more memory. I did just this and have a constant 21.5 mb free as well as several third party apps. Good luck

08-20-08 06:52 AM
    lol My memory just jumped up to 15mb. I powered off my phone, resent my service books and updated my router hosting.
    08-20-08 06:53 AM
    gritmaster - Do you have the Curve 8310? I can't get NEAR 21.5mb.
    08-20-08 06:55 AM
    Yes. I always try and go to menu > close. If I don't I check my running apps a lot by pressing Alt+Back to make sure I don't have any programs running that shouldn't be running.
    Is there a way to do that for the Pearl? the alt/back thing doesn't work for me
    08-20-08 07:50 AM
    I just recently updated to 4.5 and I figured I better check my memory because it had been a while since I had checked it. Well I had like 4mb. I wasn't okay with that, I wanted more. I followed the instructions on how to free up memory and it took me to a total of 15mb. I checked the next day and it was lower, same thing the next day. Now I am down to 8.5mb and I do not know why. I clear all my SMS and MMS and e-mails. Same with cookies and my browser files. All my media is stored on my 2gb micro sd card. Not sure why......?

Any suggestions?
    You need to take a look at the apps you have on your device and you probably need to start doing routine memory management. When I was running .52 and .55, I soon realized I needed to follow a daily routine of clearing logs and cache cleaning. In addition and most important, I reset my device each morning - alt-right shift-delete (this doesn't work for the Pearl). I also made tough decisions about the apps I kept on my device and dumped the ones I rarely used. I now run about 22 to 25 mb -- 25 mb is after my morning mem clearing routine. Stoner's guide is in my signature, you'll probably benefit from doing it. My memory is much more stable with .69, but I still need to monitor it and do maintenance.

Good luck
    X
    Last edited by exelant; 08-20-08 at 08:19 AM.
    08-20-08 07:58 AM
    gritmaster - Do you have the Curve 8310? I can't get NEAR 21.5mb.
    Yes I have a 8310. As I said, Stoner's guide was a massive help. I got rid of things I just wasn't using like preloaded wallpapers, sample video, some of the themes and Voice Dialling.

I have about 4 or five third party applications on my device. I'm sure you could increase your free memory if you followed Stoner's instructions

I also follow a similar routine as Excelant has mentioned of deleting my call logs and clearing the browser cache as I go
    Last edited by gritmaster; 08-20-08 at 08:08 AM.
    08-20-08 08:06 AM
    Go to options-security options, then click on memory cleaning and enable the memory cleaning utility. I'm not sure which version of 4.5x OS it shows up on, but you can check for it. I'm running .69.

08-20-08 09:40 AM
    I have followed all the instructions in Stoner's Guide except the ones that requires me to take off default programs. I need to do that, however, my dog chewed up my transfer cable. LOL

Also, how do you delete call log without deleting each one individually?
    Last edited by voli; 08-20-08 at 10:42 PM.
    08-20-08 10:31 PM
    I have 19 third party apps, not including what my 8330 came pre loaded with, and I NEVER clear anything (mostly cause its a hassle) and I always have more that 28MG of free space lol. I'm happy with it being that my 8130 sucked completely as far as memory goes

Do you do battery pulls and such?

08-20-08 10:48 PM
    I do a battery pull about once or twice a week and I turn off my phone daily for a couple minutes.

If you let your memory get too low, your phone will get EXTREMELY slow and laggy.
    08-20-08 10:57 PM
    Cdma phones don't count, and quit bragging . I recommend a reset instead of a battery pull. Less intrusive and if you check your memory before and after each, you'll see they free just as much each. Turning your device on and off doesn't free any tied up memory. You must reset to do that. I recommend you do the daily mem maintenance daily - before your phone slows down. It's up to you, but I learned this stuff from some very experienced people here at CB.

08-21-08 12:30 AM
    I have followed all the instructions in Stoner's Guide except the ones that requires me to take off default programs. I need to do that, however, my dog chewed up my transfer cable. LOL

Also, how do you delete call log without deleting each one individually?

Deleting call logs in one go is quite straight forward. Once in your messages hold left shift key and scroll down with the trackball highlighting all the messages you wish to delete. Press menu and select delete messages
    08-21-08 05:44 AM
    Stoners guide RULES!!!! Give that man MAD PROPS - running .69 on 8320 and have about 23 MB free -Loaded apps - BBLight, BBWAP, CBWAP, PSWAP, Brickbreaker, COPILOT, Facebook, GMAIL, Ka-GLOM (ROCKS), PIPES and precision zen theme
    08-21-08 07:06 AM
    That's why we all recomend it . The beauty of it is you only have to go as far as you want.

08-21-08 07:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD