i had a few memory issues recently, but they are definitely long gone (after a master reset and install OS). however, i have noticed that the memory cleaner (which i enabled while trying to solve the memory issues) goes back to disable everytime my phone does its scheduled quickpull at night.

any ideas what is going on?
    12-02-09 04:50 PM
    it will not keep enabled once the phone has been reset...its just one of those things that you do after the quickpull lol i take a shower, quickpull does it thing as I have it set every morning, get out the shower, turn on memory cleaner. such is life.
    12-02-09 07:07 PM
    Actually, if you are on 4.6 (possibly some later OS 4.5s) higher it should stay enabled.
    12-02-09 07:48 PM
    @ blyeeystm: thanks for the info! do you find that having it on during the day helps?

@ amazinglygraceless: since i have an 8320 on tmobile, it looks like anything other than 4.5 won't be happening for me. :-( i'm not happy about that as i want an app that doesn't exist for 4.5 but does for 4.7 (i think) and above.
    12-04-09 01:09 PM
    Yes I think it does help but making sure I shut everything properly helps too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 01:33 PM
    actually, if you are running quickpull, memory cleaner seems like it would be redundant. wouldnt it?
    12-04-09 01:46 PM
    The Memory Cleaner has got to be the most misunderstood BlackBerry function. It is a security function that has absolutely NOTHING to do with optimizing memory performance. See here:

From the PGP Support Package User Guide Supplement. The BlackBerry device automatically turns on the feature for secure garbage collection when the PGP Support Package for BlackBerry devices is installed and the private key of the user is on the BlackBerry device. When the feature for secure garbage collection is turned on, the BlackBerry device performs the following actions:
    • overwrites the memory reclaimed by the standard garbage collection process with zeroes
    • periodically runs the memory cleaner application, which tells BlackBerry device applications to clear any caches and make available the memory associated with unused, sensitive application data
    • automatically overwrites the memory that the memory cleaner application makes available when it runs
    The memory cleaner application is designed to delete unreferenced or cached decrypted content from the BlackBerry device, including content from the PGP application, PGP key store, content protection cache, address book cache, PGP key search, and BlackBerry device clipboard.
    You can set the memory cleaning application to run automatically when the
    • user synchronizes the BlackBerry device with the computer
    • user locks the BlackBerry device
    • BlackBerry device locks after a specified amount of idle time
    • user changes the time or time zone on the BlackBerry device
    12-04-09 04:16 PM
    i thought it was for memory optimization. i think i have seen a few threads around here that advocate using it for exactly that purpose. so i was thinking that after the quick pull, the memory cleaner would keep the clipboard, etc clear and allow me more available memory.

thanks for the clarification, jeff!
    12-04-09 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD