I upgraded to a curve from another phone (obviously) and threw the pictures from my old phone to my memory card. I'd previously checked to make sure the card would work but after having it in my bb for about ten minutes it froze. Did a battery pull and it froze again on start up. Taking out the memory card fixes the problem.

Did a quick forum search and didn't find anything so I thought I'd post and see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-08 04:28 AM
    Re-format the card in the phone by going to Options, Media Card, press Menu and select Format Card.

Formatting put the folder structure in place that the BlackBerry needs to run properly. That should fix the problem.
    12-27-08 04:30 AM
    Pete for the save! Woo! Good information to know. Thank you.

12-27-08 04:44 AM
    Doesn't formatting the memory card erase everything that's on it?

12-27-08 05:27 AM
    Doesn't formatting the memory card erase everything that's on it?

Yeah, you could set the phone to mass storage though and just throw everything on your computer real quick, format, then let your BB set up the folders the way it does. After that take a picture. Put your pictures in the folder where that picture saved to.

That's what I did at least. I was having slow downs with my memory card that I had taken out of an older phone also.
    12-27-08 05:37 AM
    Hi there everyone! I am a newbie and am a little unfamiliar with posting on forums. I saw this thread and wondered if anyone could help me also. I have a Curve 8300 which I bought from ebay. I love the phone and can't imagine how I possibly existed without it but am also having the same problem. I bought a 2G card for it but when I put it in the phone freezes and will not get past the Vodafone start up page. It is driving me absolutely nuts!!!
    The phone is in perfect working order other than this. My Hubby has a curve 8320 and my card works in his phone, just not mine.

Aaaaarrrrgh!!!!! :-(

Help!!!??!
    12-27-08 07:13 AM
    Hi there everyone! I am a newbie and am a little unfamiliar with posting on forums. I saw this thread and wondered if anyone could help me also. I have a Curve 8300 which I bought from ebay. I love the phone and can't imagine how I possibly existed without it but am also having the same problem. I bought a 2G card for it but when I put it in the phone freezes and will not get past the Vodafone start up page. It is driving me absolutely nuts!!!
    The phone is in perfect working order other than this. My Hubby has a curve 8320 and my card works in his phone, just not mine.

Aaaaarrrrgh!!!!! :-(

Help!!!??!
    mine was freezing on startup too but once i put it in the computer and took absolutely everything off it my blackberry loaded up and let me format the card. if you got the card off ebay as well you might want to make sure it's clean.
    12-27-08 02:37 PM
    mine was freezing on startup too but once i put it in the computer and took absolutely everything off it my blackberry loaded up and let me format the card. if you got the card off ebay as well you might want to make sure it's clean.
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. I got the card new from an online retailer. I got one for Hubby too, they both work in his but not in mine. I put his 1GB card that he had when he purchased his in mine and it starts up but wont let me format the card. I've tried going into the media settings through camera options but it only gives me the option of device storage not media card. It's driving me nuts!! I don't have a card reader and I think I'm about to throw the thing through the window!!!! Grrrrrrr...

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the handset or my lack of knowledge of it!!
    12-27-08 04:56 PM
    (Or: My ONgoing Efforts to Troubleshoot the Great BB Curve Memory Card Freeze)

I installed a new 8GB card in my Blackberry Curve 8320. When I installed it in the phone, the proper file structure was created (Blackberry, subs pictures, video, music, etc). Recently, I began moving media files over from my old phone's memory card. Since Audible had created a music folder on the card root (next to "Blackberry") I figured that was OK. So i experimented with folders outside the Blackberry folder, including standard and non-standard folder names. The media player and explorer managed to find all the files without any problem. I did not experience any freezes until this morning.

This morning, I installed the last video files, bringing my total up to about 4.5 GB on the card. My phone started to freeze up after that. Of course, it happened while on the road, so I had to suffer for hours until I could get back and log into Crackberry forums. So I figured moving files back into the "proper" directories would fix it. But that did not work. Note I DO use sub-diretories under pictures, videos, etc. I mean, geez, I need some sort of file organization! Still getting the freezes.

Next, I copied everything to my computer hard drive, reformatted the card using the Blackberry format command, and moved everything back onto the card. So all media is in the proper folder, although I am still using sub-folders and sub-sub-folders (as in blackberry | pictures | hold | images01 |). I'll let you know what happens. Unfortunately it takes a LONG TIME to transfer 4.5 GB of files!

Well, it has taken nearly AN HOUR to transfer all the files back from my computer onto the memory card. I have now reinstalled the memory card and am waiting impatiently while my BB goes through its lengthy restart process (way too many contacts, but that is another story).

Verdict: Removing all files, reformatting memory card using BB, copying all files back into the new directory structure, reinstalling card -- (give it a minute, have to wait for everything to load up and then phone to go to sleep a few times) -- Dare I call it? NO NO NO - PROBLEM NOT SOLVED!

~~~~~~~~~
    So the question becomes, is it the NESTED folders or is it just TOO MUCH MEDIA on the card?

I am thinking it is NOT the nested folder issue or even the placement of folders on the root NEXT to the blackberry folder, since everything seemed to be freeze-free until this morning, when I added 2 GB of video files. But I unnested the folders anyway AND deleted all the video sub-folders I added this morning.

Verdict? Will the Blackberry Gods shine favor on me? I mean, if it doesn't work, WTF? I should be about back to where I was LAST NIGHT when everything was running fine. If it is YES, then I go about my day. If it is NO, I yank the card and forget about it for the rest of the night.
    VERDICT:
    • Boot Process OK
    • Sleep and Wake OK
    • Multiple Sleep and Wake OK
    • LONG Sleep and Wait OK
    • Home Screen Response OK

DING DING DING DING DING! IT'S ALIVE !

OK. So the real questions become: Is there a limit to how much data the BB can digest? Is there really a mystery to the folder structure? I mean, BB Exploror/Media App can find the files no matter WHERE you put them!

I'll be back with more later
    Last edited by cedareden; 03-11-09 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Update to condition
    03-11-09 02:45 PM
    How are you transfering files to your BB?
    03-11-09 04:30 PM
    Mostly taking out the SD card and sticking it into my laptop to expedite the process, especially when it started freezing up. But I've also used direct file transfer to BB using USB cable -- transfer method does not seem to matter
    05-14-09 12:59 PM
    I've found that transferring music and pictures directly from the computer works fine, but when transferring videos its best to do it through the Media Manager where you can select the "convert for optimal playback"setting - it will convert your videos to the right format for your berry. Works for me.
    05-20-09 10:29 PM
    My blackberry freezes every time i format it. What shall i do???
    #fustrated
    11-07-11 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD