Hi guys, I'm a brand new 8330 owner. I bought an 8GB MicroSD card and loaded it with 8GB of mp3's using the Blackberry Media Sync to dump from Itunes. All of the songs are DRM free.

When I browse the card in HD mode on vista I can see all of the music on it, but when I view the media player software only a handful of songs pop up (like 50...out of 2200).

The strange thing is, if I go back into the media player app about 5 minutes later, now it will recognize say 75 instead of 50. It's really odd.

Any ideas what's happening? Thanks for your help.
    09-05-08 07:16 AM
    i have a 2 gb card with over 500 songs and this happened to me as well. For some reason it takes the bb a little while to load all the songs. Especially after a battery pull. It took about an hour before all my songs showed up!

Not sure why this happens but, yes, it's happened to me too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-08 07:19 AM
    Wow, that's strange, thanks. The other strange bit is that more songs only seem to load while I'm actively using the media app. I left it overnight and nothing had changed.

09-05-08 07:30 AM
    What make SD card have you got? a mate of mine had the same issue.
    09-05-08 07:40 AM
    It's a generic brand, I don't really know.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I re-connect to a PC and disconnect it, it starts things all over. It goes back to only recognizing 5 or 6 songs and slowly recognizes more until it caps at around 75 (out of 2200).

It's really strange. Is there another media player I can try to see if it's an issue with the app?
    09-05-08 08:54 AM
    Same thing here....I think the BB loads the music database once you start up the media player, which can take a long time if you've got 8GB of music. So, if you leave the BB on but not with the media player open, your music database is not being updated. Start it up and let it run for a while......a very long while.
    09-05-08 08:55 AM
    I've found that the BB media player re-indexes media on the SD card after either of these two events:

1) Battery pull or restart
    2) After a connection to the PC using Mass Strorage mode

I've got just under a 1000 mp3s on my Sprint 8330 and I find it takes around 15mins for the media player to index the SD card.

Additionally, there appears to be a file number limitation with the Media Player in OS 4.3, specifically only 999 files can be recognized. After this number has been reached, files start "dropping off the back". The files are there and can be found by exploring to them, but the media player will not recognize them. Reduce the number of files to less than 1000 and all files will be recognized. I don't know if this behavior is consistent across all OS versions, my hope is that it's resolved in version 4.5.

Here's some links to similar discussions/problems on this site:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/mis...loading-59987/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/som...verizon-56057/
    09-05-08 11:29 AM
    That seems to be the case. After about an hour of being out of mass storage mode, a ton more started showing up. A lot of them are still missing though, so the 999 limit seems like it could be the case. Is there any workaround for that? A different player maybe?
    09-05-08 11:50 AM
    That seems to be the case. After about an hour of being out of mass storage mode, a ton more started showing up. A lot of them are still missing though, so the 999 limit seems like it could be the case. Is there any workaround for that? A different player maybe?
    No workaround that I know of...I've tried various things to no avail. There are multiple 3rd party players out there, of the ones I've tried none of them handle existing playlists. This is kind of a big deal for me since I synch my BB using MediaMonkey and have it automatically copy playlists. I like the playlist approach for cleanliness of presentation. Aside from that, none of the players offer much more than the standard media player - the exception is probably the display (browse by) album art feature. I've tried Flipside and MiuTunes, of which the latter is probably better. They both have free trials so you might give them a whirl. If you try one and it handles more than 999 files it might be worth the investment. Let me know if you get some favorable results, I might sacrifice my use of playlists for an increase in number of files I have access to.
    09-05-08 02:17 PM
    I've found that the BB media player re-indexes media on the SD card after either of these two events:

1) Battery pull or restart
    2) After a connection to the PC using Mass Strorage mode

I don't know if this behavior is consistent across all OS versions, my hope is that it's resolved in version 4.5.
    OS 4.5 seems to have fixed the continuous re-indexing issue. I've loaded all my music onto my Berry and it indexed it the first time and hasn't done it again since, despite multiple battery pulls and a couple of sessions with the DM.

As for the 999 song limit, I don't have enough music to reach that limit so I couldn't tell you if that got fixed or not.
    09-05-08 03:37 PM
    OS 4.5 seems to have fixed the continuous re-indexing issue. I've loaded all my music onto my Berry and it indexed it the first time and hasn't done it again since, despite multiple battery pulls and a couple of sessions with the DM.

As for the 999 song limit, I don't have enough music to reach that limit so I couldn't tell you if that got fixed or not.
    That's good news on the re-indexing issue. Definitely report back (hit me with a PM) on the 999 limit if and when you reach it. I can't even reach half capacity on my 8gb SD card right now because of this issue...very frustrating!
    09-05-08 04:14 PM
    That's good news on the re-indexing issue. Definitely report back (hit me with a PM) on the 999 limit if and when you reach it.
    Haha...I'd have to go out and spend some serious cash to get that much music before I could even think about putting it on my Berry. I think that maybe, grand total, I've got 40 CDs that I listen to, probably not even that much.

And I'm too much of a tightwad to ever go out and buy more
    09-05-08 05:16 PM
    Haha...I'd have to go out and spend some serious cash to get that much music before I could even think about putting it on my Berry. I think that maybe, grand total, I've got 40 CDs that I listen to, probably not even that much.

And I'm too much of a tightwad to ever go out and buy more
    You could always add to your collection through "internet procurement"...wink, wink...
    09-05-08 05:50 PM
    I've got about 1200 songs and all seem to be there. I'm running on 4.5

09-05-08 06:19 PM
    I've got about 1200 songs and all seem to be there. I'm running on 4.5

Hmmmm...now I'm definitely starting to get the itch to upgrade to 4.5! Thanks for the info!
    09-05-08 06:38 PM
    I upgraded to 4.5 last night and the scanning seems better. At the very least there's bar at the bottom that lets you know when it's happening. That helps a lot, though it seemed like it slowed down the entire OS a lot more when it's happening now.

The file limit problem still seems to be there, though it's now an entirely different set that shows up. Maybe I'll try one of the other apps that zzzbullseye recommended.

EDIT: Oh, well maybe it is working now. I'll look around a little more to see for sure.
    Last edited by delaen; 09-06-08 at 10:10 AM.
    09-06-08 10:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD