Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Media card lock-down

I have a work-provided BlackBerry as part of my job and just received an 8300 Curve as an upgrade from my trusty 7100g. I was really looking forward to the features like the camera and the media player, and had plans to use the mp3 player extensively. However, when I navigate to Options/Media Card, the Media Card Support provides no options other than "OFF" and has a little red lock next to it. I wrote to our Service Desk telling them that there was a problem, and their response was: "...the external SD function (is) locked from our end per company policy. Unfortunately, the MP3 function and the external memory card cannot be used on corporate devices." What a load of crap. I can't imagine what security breach they have dreamed up that could be and worse than the security liability of the 1 gig thumb drives that are provided with corporate laptops, but this is screwing me from using the mp3 player. I imagine it is going to limit the number of photos I can take as well.
    I think the enterprise activation (the thing that tied the BlackBerry to my work email account) carried the kill feature for the media slot. I am looking for a way to reactivate the SD function as I'm certain I'm not going to get a work-around from the IT-and-security Nazis at work.
    Any ideas how I can unlock it?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

It won't happen. I just happen to be one of those IT/Security Nazi's as you put it. The IT Policy that's pushed down is what disabled the media card and there's no way you can get around it without putting yourself in jeopardy of being fired.

I would consider you lucky if the only issue you have is the media card being disabled. There's A LOT more that can be done then that so make sure your nice to your BES guys or they can make things a living **** for you.
    Last edited by audit; 11-06-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    audit
    ------------------------------------------------
    No Longer RETIRED Forums Moderator
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for writing and for the information. I'll sit here devoid of the joy of music (is that the **** you mentioned?) and count my blessings.
    Hope the "IT-and-security Nazi" crack didn't get your nose out of joint...maybe I misread your comment about "play nice with the technology boys or they would be vindictive" as slightly defensive, but I was only poking some fun at the data wardens. Oddly, the techie at work wrote that they were pushing for leaving the media slot active but it was the legal department that deemed it unnecessary as it had no "business need". Who would have figured it was the IT gang that was ready to rock and the lawyers nerded-up? Go figure...
    "No song, I mean soup, for you!"

Thanks again!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Well I've been described as the Security Nazi from He!! by co-workers, bosses, friends, family, etc. I have a "special" policy that I push out to my trouble users that complain about the media cards being locked down, camera disabled, etc that locks their phone after 30 seconds, very long multi character password, web homepage locked to a "special" site, phone disabled, etc.

It all depends on what your company does and what the laws are for data. In the medical field the laws are black and white with no gray area.

Believe it or not, people do use the media card to steal data from companies and media cards are not something that security is going to check for in phones at most places where they will not let people bring in USB thumb drives.
    audit
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,435 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by audit View Post
    Well I've been described as the Security Nazi from He!! by co-workers, bosses, friends, family, etc. I have a "special" policy that I push out to my trouble users that complain about the media cards being locked down, camera disabled, etc that locks their phone after 30 seconds, very long multi character password, web homepage locked to a "special" site, phone disabled, etc.

It all depends on what your company does and what the laws are for data. In the medical field the laws are black and white with no gray area.

Believe it or not, people do use the media card to steal data from companies and media cards are not something that security is going to check for in phones at most places where they will not let people bring in USB thumb drives.
    Question since you mentioned camera's and such being locked. What does the phone show if the camera is locked through BES? I have gotten kickback from my company about getting a curve (mainly for wifi calling when out of the country) because it has a camera. In the auto industry they are a no-no and my IT didn't even know they can be deactivated. I have gone on my own for now but would rather be back on BES and give up my camera. Any help is appreciated.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    PIN
    cushion

Not sure what the phone will 'show' if the camera is disabled...you may not even be able to activate it.

We don't allow camera's on BB's either (and I'm working on the media card thing), and as soon as I implemented that little policy I had users complaining. And I'm pretty sure they weren't even able to access the camera application. I don't have a device with a camera, so can't test it.

And just as funny as the media card discussion above, it was the legal department that wanted the ban on the camera.
    BES Admin somewhere in West Michigan
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Is there a reason you posted this question twice? I removed the last one.

As far as what it shows on the phone, no clue as I don't push that down to my BB, I leave mine alone with no restrictions since I'm in charge of it. I'll ask one of the guys when he comes to complain again this week what it says on his.
    audit
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    674 Global Posts

ouch.........
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sakimano View Post
    what a loser you are Audit! you're the computer geek equivalent to one of those overzealous mall security guards who nearly sh1t their pants with glee whenever someone parks illegally so they can 'bust' them.
    Last I checked, CTO isn't equiv to mall security guards.

you honestly think someone's going to get fired for activating the memory card slot? then you really are drunk with power...only the thing is...you have no power. You THINK your 'rules' are sacred and should be feared, but they're nothing. You're nothing. Don't forget that.
    Maybe at best buy where your at.

and trust me...if some jackass in the tech department did ANYTHING to limit my productivity out of jealous spite, he'd be roasted. You have to remember: 'tech support' is your group's name, not upper management. you are basically the 'technology secretary' for those who are the true drivers of the business, so do us all a favour and stay the fk out of the way.
    Tech Secretary? I am upper managment. 20+ years in the industry. Ahh screw it, you need a vacation.
    audit
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    t low

Wow, and to think, it's not even their device and don't think their employer has a right to direct how their equipment is used. I don't understand how people "think" they have rights to everything in world, that isn't theirs.

Obviously, sakimano, you're one of those users who would be whining all the time.
    Follow me on Twitter
    A great resource for Crackheads:
    Official RIM Support Forums
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Wow, I checked back to see if any anyone had posted any constructive advice to my original question to find that Audit had drawn ire (and rightly so; pushing a BS "special" policy to those he deems "trouble" and locking down features for everyone but himself?) for his comments about being a vindicitve weinee to "trouble users" and jsanders generalized wanting to use the media slot as "how people "think" they have rights to everything in world, that isn't theirs". "Everything in the world? Really? Geez, gimmee a break. Why bother spending the money to provide an "upgraded" device, then turn off the features? Sorry you were no good at sports, are a D&D master, are mid-40's and overweight, unmarried and living in your parent's basement, a Star Wars superfan, can't wait for the next Harry Potter, probably got your **** kicked for your lunch money every day from the 4th grade through graduation, and feel that the world owes you something. Or am I generalizing? By the way, feel free to reply tomorrow while you are posting your usual 16 - 20 unsolicited got-no-life-and-nothing-better-to-do replies. Yeah, I checked. Thanks for your comments. How about you could quit screwing around on Crackberry and get to work.

And Audit, it surprises me that someone with 20+ years in upper management ends their sentences with prepositions. Very 10th grade.
    CrackBerry User

Default Lock down on Media Card

Our organisation have recently got in some Blackberry Pearls.

Security people would like to lock down the media card.

Is it possible to lock the media card using BES version 4.0.4.9 or can this only be done using version 4.1

Thanks for any help.
    CrackBerry Newbie

i had the same problem.
    my media card was locked. i could not use the phone without password. i was unable to change permissions for applications.

the solution!

search and install a program vnbb utilities (vietnamese blackberry utilities)
    connect your blackberry and use the "factory reset" option in the tab "other utilities"

follow the instructions. you get your phone back!!