Hi there fellow crackberrians,

I am new to the BB world.

I currently own a storm and love it but want to see what else is out there. I have been fortunate to stumble across someone who wanted my old enV2 that I had used before the storm upgrade and is trading me a verizon curve 8330.

I am excited, but still kind of a BB noob, and unsure of the order of events. What should I do first?

Take the phone to Verizon and have them adjust it to my primary phone/phone number? Or should I upgrade the OS first? (won't have it till Friday so I'm not sure what OS it has currently) Is there a way to set the phone back to factory settings? I've never done anything like this so I am unsure of what I should do first since it's coming from a prior owner. I did upgrade my storm OS so I know how to do at least that. I haz learned!

Usually I've just used my phone upgrade and Verizon does the rest in store. This is my first un-verizon store bought phone that I want to test out and I'm not sure of how to do it to get it wiped clean and ready for my account.

I did use the search function, but being new to the 8330, I see that the newest OS is 4.7.0.77, is that still correct? I couldn't find a Link either to DL that OS, anyone have the verizon version? And should I do a full wipe (JL cmder) before upgrading the OS or just do the upgrade?

Sorry for so many questions, but I figured if anyone would know, it would be you guys! Thanks in advance for any help and relatively few flames as possible.

And I really will love you long time for any help! <3

/end wall of text
    /dance
    04-08-09 11:33 PM
    To restore original settings: options > security options >
    general settings > press menu > select Wipe Handheld.

Newest 8330 OS: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/spr...nguage-146679/
    (Yes it will work on a VZW 8330) Doesn't matter when you do the upgrade

Edit: There are now two different 8330's now. If yours has an MEID
    you will need this OS instead: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-185702/

Wiping the phone before doing the upgrade is almost always
    unnecessary.

And finally, yes, have VZW set up your account.

I'll be over in an hour and a half
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 04-09-09 at 12:01 AM.
    04-08-09 11:55 PM
    I... that was AWESOME!!!

Damn.

See you in asap! *winks*

P.S. For super mega bonus points, how do I tell if mine is a special "MEID" (its so confoosling!!!) phone? Would it be under "about" or somewhere in options?

P.P.S. Do I just upgrade a sprint OS just like normal or do I have to finaggle with the... some special folder thingy I think I read about on here once since it's another carrier?

P.P.P.S. I have snacks and beer. Don't be late.
    04-09-09 12:06 AM
    Go to Options - Status.

If it says MEID instead of ESN, then there's your answer.

If it says ESN, count the number of digits. If it's 15, you need the first OS that AG posted. If it's 18, then use the second.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 01:33 AM
    I'm sorry, that should have been 11 and 15, respectively

04-09-09 01:34 AM
    Also, you can activate your BB directly on verizonwireless.com by signing up for a free account. Then use the online ESN changer, it may also appear as an "activate my phone" link.

You will also want to visit the BIS website for Verizon to switch the PIN on your email accts to your Curve.

04-09-09 01:54 AM
    P.P.S. Do I just upgrade a sprint OS just like normal or do I have to finaggle with the... some special folder thingy I think I read about on here once since it's another carrier?
    In the instructions there are instructions for deleting the vendor.xml file.
    You need to do that and then you are off to the races
    04-09-09 02:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD