I keep getting asked if I want to switch to mass storage mode. What is this and do I want to switch to it?

Thanks!
    09-29-08 08:35 PM
    You use mass storage mode if you want to access your media card on your computer as a drive.
    09-29-08 08:37 PM
    Do you have a media card?
    09-29-08 08:37 PM
    Mass Storage Mode lets you drag and drop files to/from your computer to your BlackBerry Media Card. You enable it as follows:

Status / Options / Media Card
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Plug the BlackBerry into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the BlackBerry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer. Then you can drag and drop.

For most purposes, Mass Storage Mode is much better than Media Manager. The only time you really have to use Media Manager is to get pictures out of your device memory. Mass Storage Mode can't see the device memory. Once the pictures are on the Media Card, Mass Storage Mode will let you drag and drop between the BlackBerry and your PC.

In Rim's implementation of microSD cards, they're used for ringtones, videos, music, and pictures. (That's why Rim calls them Media Cards, even though they're sold as microSD cards.) You can also use one as a memory stick, like a USB disk, using Mass Storage mode, but you can't access those files from the BlackBerry without 3rd party software.
    09-29-08 08:38 PM
    Do you have a media card?
    Yes I do! Thanks for the help! I'll be enabling it next time I am prompted to!
    09-29-08 08:45 PM
    this is too helpful... just did a seach trying to figure out what the usage for Mass media mode- will help me transfer files back and forth.

thanks
    11-29-08 07:31 AM
    i have a media card , mass storage mode support is on and i cant see my media card like a disk , i just did all **** but i cant see it like disk just like a blackberry USB !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 08:59 AM
    i have a media card , mass storage mode support is on and i cant see my media card like a disk , ... but i cant see it like disk just like a blackberry USB !

What do you mean "I can't see my media card like a disk..." It should show up in MyComputer with a drive letter. You can move files to/from it, like a USB device. It does not look like a disk in the sense that you can't install apps on it and run them from there.
    11-29-08 10:12 AM
    I recently replaced my trusty 8100 with a 8310. I used the mass storage mode quite frequently on the 8100, but the 8310 has problems.

I've made sure to enable Media Card Support and know the 8310 can see the media (can browse pictures and holds my ringtones.)

I've also enabled Mass Storage Mode.

When I attach the 8310 to my PC, I do not see the removable drive. I also do not see a password prompt don the device like I did when I attached the 8100 (which still works, btw.) Also, the Roxio media manager can't address the card either.

I've tried:
    two different SD cards (1gb and 4gb) and formatted both from the blackberry itself
    Tried all options in the media card setting on the BB.

11-29-08 10:47 AM
    btw isnt a driver letter conflict

11-29-08 10:58 AM
    When it is connected, see if windows
    device manager shows it with an exclamation mark. If so delete it and then unplug the phone and then plug it in again. Good luck!
    11-29-08 01:43 PM
    device manager show " BlackBerry Smartphone" , i can do all **** use Desktop Manager , update my os , but i cant manage files

11-29-08 02:00 PM
    I recently replaced my trusty 8100 with a 8310. I used the mass storage mode quite frequently on the 8100, but the 8310 has problems.

I've made sure to enable Media Card Support and know the 8310 can see the media (can browse pictures and holds my ringtones.)

I've also enabled Mass Storage Mode.

When I attach the 8310 to my PC, I do not see the removable drive. I also do not see a password prompt don the device like I did when I attached the 8100 (which still works, btw.) Also, the Roxio media manager can't address the card either.

I've tried:
    two different SD cards (1gb and 4gb) and formatted both from the blackberry itself
    Tried all options in the media card setting on the BB.

Johnny,

I am having the exact same problem and it is driving me up a wall. I've tried everything mentioned on these forums (reading through all the posts sure took some time). I've tried 2 differend MicroSD cards, etc., etc. I've even plugged in a coworker's 8830 and that worked just fine.

I wonder if it could be the driver that is installed automatically by Windows Vista with my 8320? Mine shows as a "Blackberry Smartphone" in Device Manager just like yours. I can't remember what it said when I hooked up my coworker's 8830, but it did not say "Blackberry Smartphone."

Please all you gurus out there . . . Help!!!!!

Mike
    11-29-08 02:58 PM
    If you download CrackUtil, can it see your device? Can you move files with it? You can download CrackUtil from the thread in my sig.
    11-29-08 02:58 PM
    i can see my phone in there with all System files also i can use Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 media manager to transfer files to my blackberry phone memory even with Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 cant see my external memory .

11-29-08 03:12 PM
    i can see my phone in there with all System files also i can use Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 media manager to transfer files to my blackberry phone memory even with Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 cant see my external memory .

Same thing here. Johnny, are you running Windows Vista? If a solution is found my guess is that it will fix both of ours.
    11-29-08 05:07 PM
    vista and xp , yep lets hope for some fix !

11-29-08 05:22 PM
    I googled "Mass Storage Mode Vista" and found these, as well as dozens more. If these don't help, you might want to google more solutions. I don't have Vista, so I can't help with testing them.

Do you have AutoPlay running? http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/mas...y-vista-55540/

Here's another possible issue with Vista: vB Easy Archive - N73 as Mass Storage on Win Vista?
    11-29-08 05:25 PM
    I googled "Mass Storage Mode Vista" and found these, as well as dozens more. . .
    I read through both of those, and thank you. I can't speak for Johnny, however mine doesn't even assign a drive letter. Despite many years in a tech support role I must admit this one has me totally stumped and glad that I'm not in tech support anymore!
    11-29-08 07:22 PM
    I read through both of those, and thank you. I can't speak for Johnny, however mine doesn't even assign a drive letter. Despite many years in a tech support role I must admit this one has me totally stumped and glad that I'm not in tech support anymore!
    If yours won't assign a drive letter, it may just be a drive letter conflict. If you're on a network with shared drives, try disconnecting. If you can now see your media card, use MyComputer to assign an unused drive letter to your card. I'm away from my pc so I can't give you the exact steps.

11-29-08 08:21 PM
    If yours won't assign a drive letter, it may just be a drive letter conflict. If you're on a network with shared drives, try disconnecting. If you can now see your media card, use MyComputer to assign an unused drive letter to your card. I'm away from my pc so I can't give you the exact steps.

At work I am on such a network - not here at home though. I currently just have my C:, D:, and E: (main HD, some HP recovery drive, and DVD drive). I can't see the media card when I manage computers and go to storage.
    11-30-08 03:37 PM
    When I plug my BB into a USB port, I'm prompted to enable Mass Storage Mode and enter my password. I do that, then I right-click MyComputer, select Manage, double-click storage, double-click disk management(local), and I see the BlackBerry media card as a healthy 1.89 GB FAT partition with drive letter F:. If I don't enable Mass Storage Mode, but do everything else, I still see drive F: but it says "no media." Is that the result you get, even with Mass Storage Mode enabled? Or do you not see the card at all?
    12-01-08 03:52 PM
    When I plug my BB into a USB port, I'm prompted to enable Mass Storage Mode and enter my password. I do that, then I right-click MyComputer, select Manage, double-click storage, double-click disk management(local), and I see the BlackBerry media card as a healthy 1.89 GB FAT partition with drive letter F:. If I don't enable Mass Storage Mode, but do everything else, I still see drive F: but it says "no media." Is that the result you get, even with Mass Storage Mode enabled? Or do you not see the card at all?
    Jeff, I get nothing at all when I plug it in other than a beep noise. Nothing in my computer at all. If I go into Media Manager it shows the card and I can go to a folder but then it locks up. I've tried it with two different cards from two different manufacturers?!
    12-02-08 05:57 AM
    If you put the Media Card in a microSd-to-SD adapter and insert it in your computer's SD slot, can you see it then?
    12-02-08 04:28 PM
    Yep. That is what I've been doing so far but it is incredibly inconvenient - have to take the cover and battery off each time.
    12-03-08 03:49 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD