When I got my phone, I downloaded Google Maps because I'm used to it and assumed it to be better. I then deleted BlackBerry Maps to free up space.

I just recently found out/figured out that Google Maps can't access the GPS and I'm tired of being told my location with "1900 meters" which is practically useless. So I want to go back to BB Maps, but there is conflicting information on what version OS it works for.

On the download page it says it works for v4.1 or later, however when I go to download through my desktop it says it only works for v4.1 or v4.2.x.

Either way, I can't seem to be able to download it. I just got my phone and have not updated it. It has always been on OS 4.5.0.138.

Any ideas?
    10-18-09 09:47 PM
    Install your phone OS to your computer. Then go into the Application Loader in BlackBerry Desktop Manager and install it from there.
    10-19-09 06:07 AM
    Is this not the old Verizon blocking GPS problem?

I seem to recall that they unlocked it and you had to either upgrade your OS or ask Verizon to send you a fix.

I seem to remember that the fix unlocked the internal GPS for some apps but remained locked for others.

Perhaps other members can clarify.
    10-19-09 06:29 AM
    Install your phone OS to your computer. Then go into the Application Loader in BlackBerry Desktop Manager and install it from there.
    Could you elaborate on this process a little more?

I'm new to BlackBerry's.
    10-19-09 02:53 PM
    Go to the Verizon website and download the PHONE OS.
    Verizon BlackBerry Software Updates

Install it on your computer.

If you don't have BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed on your computer, download and install that as well.

Connect your phone to your computer with the USB cable.

Select BlackBerry Maps and install it to the device.

Note that you can't install BBMaps OTA (as you found out) because those downloads are designed for OS versions for older devices that didn't come with BBMaps.
    10-19-09 08:39 PM
    Thanks for the help. I have BB Maps back on my phone now.
    10-19-09 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD