Is anyone aware of maps of the US that are downloadable to the Curve 8310 that don't require internet like Google Maps?
    02-17-08 05:11 PM
    doesnt the 8310 have built in GPS. if so just use google maps and your gps. no internet is needed for that.
    02-17-08 11:52 PM
    doesnt the 8310 have built in GPS. if so just use google maps and your gps. no internet is needed for that.
    Wouldn't Google Maps need to pull down the map images for the background?
    02-18-08 08:32 AM
    yeah someone needs to explain that to me. Is the GPS free, but yet wouldn't you need internet access to get the map display on the phone? or does the map display from blackberry maps download the images from the GPS satellites? If that's the case you could use maps on the blackberry with GPS even if you didn't have to phone on a dataplan or even if the phone was not connected to a cellular company?
    02-18-08 09:01 AM
    The maps are pushed over the network connection. It won't work without cell signal. I wish someone would develop card based maps that work with the internal GPS.
    02-18-08 09:19 AM
    I used the GPS through the canyon (No signal for about 20 miles) The trick seems to be to start the GPS while you do have signal. After i got into a dead zone it seemed to have enough map downloaded to get me through the canyon.
    02-18-08 09:29 AM
    I used the GPS through the canyon (No signal for about 20 miles) The trick seems to be to start the GPS while you do have signal. After i got into a dead zone it seemed to have enough map downloaded to get me through the canyon.
    With BBMaps or GMaps?
    02-18-08 09:34 AM
    Sorry, Telenav

It should work with gmaps if you zoom out to see the entire trip. But you won't be able to zoom in until you have signal again.
    02-18-08 09:55 AM
    I just downloaded the google maps from Google Maps and it worked immediately and was very accurate without using the internet that I could tell, though I could be wrong about what could be going on in the background.
    02-18-08 12:04 PM
    Gmaps will use data to pull the initial map. Just make sure you have the full route on you're visible screen. Then the gps should take over from there. But the GPS will not download any map data to your handset

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-08 12:08 PM
    Gmaps will use data to pull the initial map. Just make sure you have the full route on you're visible screen. Then the gps should take over from there. But the GPS will not download any map data to your handset

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    But you can't zoom without the data connection can you even if your initial view showed the entire route?
    02-18-08 01:26 PM
    Exactly, it is only way I know to use your GPS outside of the cell towers. It's rough, but it would work
    02-18-08 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD