So I purchased my 8300 back in September (9/16) through AT&T. The phone worked great for the first 2 months and I loved it. Slowly I started having these following issues:
    • phone loading applications slowly

• bbchat would get stuck often saying that I had an unread message when I didn't

• error message from bbchat saying that there was a java error and then bbchat crashes

• would have to reboot the phone at least 2-3 times a day to clear the messages and I would be stuck with the spinning hourglass for 3-4 minutes and then the phone runs a series of security tests

• trackball would get stuck and will not move unless I did a reboot on the phone

• call logs and message logs would be erased for no reason

• phone would display an SOS signal

The only applications that I had on the phone were Google maps and Yahoo Go.

I brought my phone down to the AT&T device support center about 2 weeks (5/16) ago and they gave me a replacement refurbished phone. After 2 days I started having the exact same problems with the phone and in addition to that, the buttons on the far right side barely worked.

I brought the phone back to the same support center this past Friday (5/30) and was given another refurbished phone. Instead of having the previous problems, it would not connect to the mobile network initially. I found that the connection to the mobile network was turned off so I turned it on and that fixed the connection problem. A few minutes after that the phone shut off on it's own and refuses to power back on. I find that the phone will not remain powered on for more than 5 minutes at a time unless it is connected to a charger. The battery at the time was over halfway charged so I returned to the support center to get another phone.

I'm not sure if I was issued the same phone this time or if they gave me another one but this phone has the exact same issues except that it'll stay on for 10-20 minutes before shutting off. The phone will not power back on unless it is plugged in or if I take the battery out to reboot it. I am now paying $100 a month for a land line that I cannot take anywhere now so I am getting very frustrated. What's up with the quality assurance on these refurbished phones?? Do they not test them prior to issuing them to customers?

I called AT&T customer care and after a lot of time sitting on hold, their response was that they will offer me a early upgrade to a new phone but they will have to extend my contract for another 2 years. I accepted the early upgrade just so that I will have a functioning phone but I am planning on returning the phone for various reasons. My phone is clearly still under warranty so why do I have to pay for a new phone and have my contract extended. I am unsure if AT&T is still offering the 8300 since I know that they have the 8310 in their lineup now but it is not my problem that they decided to change the phone model.

Sorry for the extremely long read but please help because I am getting very frustrated with this phone. I have nothing but problems ever since I got this phone and I had better service with Verizon. My old KRZR was much more reliable than the Curve that I have no and that is saying a lot about the condition of my phone.
    06-01-08 08:04 PM
    The problem with your first 8300 was low free memory. BB's are memory hogs and when the free memory gets low (below 10MB(10 000 000)), they start deleting email, texts, etc. to gain some back to keep operating. A battery pull will temporarily cure the problem, but if you do not dump some of the files that were preinstalled and others that you add, the memory gets used up. Go to Options > Status, to view the free memory.
    Read this to optimize your device:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

It sounds like you had terrible luck with the refurbs. If the issues you are having with your present BB are fixable, you may think hard about replacing it, unless AT&T is going to give you another new one.

If you have issues, check here first!
    06-01-08 09:01 PM
    Yes Tyroni is correct. You problem is low memory, not your BB. Complete some of that stuff on the link to the thread Tyroni posted and you will not have anymore problems!
    06-01-08 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD