I have been using Windows Mobile devices for about 4 years now and have been with Sprint for about 7 years and do not plan to leave anytime soon. I have had the PPC-6700, PPC-6800, PPC-6900, Touch PRO and now the Touch Diamond. As of lately I am growing tired of the new WM phones. The battery life on the Touch pro was horrendous and I thought the Diamond might be better because it doesn't have a keyboard but it also is unacceptable. I can't make it past 1-2 in the afternoon without getting a low battery warning. This is me just manually checking my email bout 8 times a day, 4-5 calls and around 20 texts.

I originally loved using the device for the web browsing because I was constantly out and about when working and didn't have much access to a PC. Now I am around a PC pretty much all day and just browse the web on there. I need something that has a long battery life, good blue tooth quality and is able to get email. My only real options left on the Sprint network is the Blackberry Curve, Instinct and Motorola Q9C. I am leaning more towards trying out the Curve after reading all the good reviews for it but have a couple questions.

I want to be able to listen to XM radio on my phone while at the gym and have been able to do this on all of my WM phones. I have an unlimited subscription to XM that I use to log in and such. Can I do this for free on the Blackberry but do I have to sign up for the 7.99 fee I saw on the XM site? It doesn't seem right that i already have an account with XM but would have to be forced to pay another monthly fee just to listen to it on a Blackberry. Can you use the Opera browser on the Curve? Does it support stereo blue tooth support? Will email on the Curve show up as just plain text or can it be HTML with pictures and links encoded? Is there a weather app that I can install that will allow me to have a radar on the home screen?

I will definitely miss the Touch screen that I have been using on all my devices but maybe it won't be so bad?

Thanks!
    12-12-08 09:17 AM
    Up until last July I was an advid WM user and had been for 12 years. All the way back to the HP "handhelds". The last WM device I owned was the HTC Wing (aka Brick #2) the Dash and the Shadow. The devices themselves were okay (except the Wing) and I was very pleased with the Dash.

A co-worker of mine loaned me his Pearl 8100 for a couple of days to compare the OS's and I was floored! The BB OS far surpasses the WM OS in every category. The stability of the BB OS is like none I've ever seen and the advancements that RIM is making finally convinced me to move to the "Dark Side"...I'm happy that I did and have yet to regret it.

Welcome to CB and your future addiction!
    12-12-08 09:28 AM
    I was also a long time Windows Mobile user. I had the Dash, Wing, Moto q9c, Touch, Touch Pro and Mogul. The Curve is my first BB and I love it. I was so tired of WM i needed a change bad. Some WM phones are worse than others (im talking to you Wing). Sas far as Sprints line up, the Q9c is not bad at all. Its one of the better WM phones out there. The extended battery it comes with is sick and last about 3 days on moderate use. If i didnt have my Curve I would have that but I cant give up the addiction. I would go with the Curve if I were you
    12-12-08 10:57 AM
    I also moved from a Wing to the Curve. I've been using WM since the H1910 - my first WM device. I love the power and flexibility of WM but the devices lately have been a big let down. I can't count the number of times I was tempted to throw my Wing out the window due to its slowness and memory constraints. Now I'm using a BB and extremely happy with it!

I still use my 3 year old HX2415 as a PDA because BB doesn't really come close to matching the PDA power of any WM device, but as a communications device the Curve is absolutely first class.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 11:09 AM
    I had a tytn and moved to the curve. I was mainly mad that the tytn's battery life was horrible once you started using 3g for email. Whats the point of having these features when your phone dies so fast.

I love my curve. It lasts 3-4 days without charging. I also use it in the gym as my music player as it sync's with iTunes.

I don't think you will regret the jump.
    12-12-08 02:30 PM
    i had moto Q and a pocket pc, i love blackberry OS!! i will never own anything else besides a blackberry now!
    12-12-08 05:01 PM
    I am leaning more towards trying out the Curve after reading all the good reviews for it but have a couple questions.

I want to be able to listen to XM radio on my phone while at the gym and have been able to do this on all of my WM phones. I have an unlimited subscription to XM that I use to log in and such. Can I do this for free on the Blackberry but do I have to sign up for the 7.99 fee I saw on the XM site? It doesn't seem right that i already have an account with XM but would have to be forced to pay another monthly fee just to listen to it on a Blackberry. Can you use the Opera browser on the Curve? Does it support stereo blue tooth support? Will email on the Curve show up as just plain text or can it be HTML with pictures and links encoded? Is there a weather app that I can install that will allow me to have a radar on the home screen?

I will definitely miss the Touch screen that I have been using on all my devices but maybe it won't be so bad?

Thanks!
    I can't comment on WinMo because I have never had it, but I can comment on some of your Curve questions.

I do not think you can use XM on a CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) Curve. I do think that Sprint offers some type of music app for their Curve though. There is also a free radio program named Flycast that you can use.

You can use Opera Mini on the Curve.

It does support stereo bluetooth (I love mine).

With the new 4.5 operating system (you will more than likely have to perform an OS upgrade after you buy the phone) you do get html email. If you prefer not to upgrade the OS then you can purchase 1 of 2 different programs that will do this for you as well. It is free to upgrade and only makes the phone better, IMHO.

As far as radar on the home screen, I don't really know of one. There are however several different weather apps that can be loaded to show you the current conditions and future forecasts. With a couple of these you can dig a little deeper and get a current radar image.

Hope that helps.
    12-12-08 05:15 PM
    Get the Curve, you won't miss win mob at all, I know I don't!

12-12-08 05:26 PM
    Ok the xm, no go it will not work on the 8330 from sprint. Email, sprint has not yet put out the new os with html support, so you can do what I did and install the os from another carrier. Imo you may miss some of the features of wm, like the thousands and tousands of apps! However the bb is very stable and once you figure it out, it is by far the bes mobile os you will use. My major beef with the sprint 8330 is
    1.Emails : even with os 4.5 they still suck imo, its a pain in the *** to have to click get images on every email.
    2.Mobile browser: its ok but meh, sites like digg.com don't work right, and mobile video is worthless as it will only show up as a 1 inch box in the center of your screen.
    3.Apps: this is going to be a big change from wm,free apps for the bb? Not so much and you will find the bb does not have as many apps.
    So if your emails are mostly text, you don't do video streaming,and don't mind paying for everything extra (themes apps etc.) Take the dive. Not trying to sound too negative but those are the things that I do not like about the curve.

12-13-08 06:37 AM
    My .02, you'll find the BB to be a better device for many reasons. I recommend making the change!
    12-13-08 07:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD