Here's the deal- "mysteriously", (either intentionally or not) various contacts are being deleted by someone who plays with or uses my 8310. Currently the password thing is 'disabled', and I don't believe I ever set one in the first place. I'm looking to protect my contacts but not block all access to the phone. I'm on 4.5 and in the security options there is a "Include Address Book" option. That's fine, except I don't know what the current password is.
    I don't want to "Enable" the password without knowing what it might be in the first place. Also, there is no "Change Password" option. But according to the online BB Manual for the 8130 on 4.5 it should be there.

I guess my question is, if I "Enable" the password option to protect my address book, will it ask to set one, or will I need an old one I don't have? And if I need one I don't have, can I retrieve it from somewhere?
    05-04-09 10:40 AM
    Backup your device just in case this doesnt work. Then enable your password. It should ask you to create one. If it doesnt and you enter it wrong ten times it will wipe the device of all your personal info.
    05-04-09 10:43 AM
    backed it up this morning... I'll consider your suggestion for now, and see what else comes up... thanks..
    05-04-09 10:45 AM
    LOL I dont blame you. Give me a few minutes and I will confirm it for you.
    05-04-09 10:54 AM
    Confirmed on my wifes curve....you know just in case something happens...lol. It does work like this. When you enable and add address book it ask for new password. But the security timeout feature will lock the phone after so a few minutes making you have to type the password to open the device.
    05-04-09 10:58 AM
    Hey, thanks- I'll think about it and maybe take of this tomorrow(gulp)...
    05-04-09 01:50 PM
    Setting the password is a good idea. But also setting boundaries with that other person is too. If the person is an adult, I think it is reasonable to explain to them very clearly what you are comfortable with them doing and not doing with your phone. If it's a child, then they might not understand why you are saying it but should obey anyway. In either case, they break the rule once, and I'd never let them use my phone again.
    05-04-09 01:57 PM
    I think it might be the wife when she scrolls through the address book looking for a number- she hits something thinking she's either dialing or backing out of the address book. Then she just hits okay at whatever comes up.
    05-04-09 02:15 PM
    LOL my wife did that to me a couple times. I resolved it by getting her one.
    05-04-09 02:18 PM
    And it's usually while driving. Since HER phone is in her handbag, and mine is in the cupholder in the console, it's easier to screw mine up than use her phone.
    05-04-09 02:20 PM
    Haha...sounds oh so familiar. What I do now is use HER phone to test things on so if I brick it..o well. Ill fix it when I get time.
    05-04-09 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD