I am wanting to upgrade from (I have 4.5.0.81 (108) right now) to 4.5.0.162 on an 8320 tmobile device..

This is downloaded on my desktop, and have removed the vendor.xml files

I have backed up my BB

I have read the upgrade threads, and I understand most of it...

but a few last questions...

I am using

DM 5.0.0.11 july 1 2009 revision....

can I use the "app-loader" method?

can I use "crackmem"?

should I downgrade to DM 4.7 first?

and...this is what I have figured out....

---if you use the apploader -button- you are using DM

---if you use the apploader -icon- you are NOT using DM

---you need DM to have apploader, but dont have to OPEN DM to USE apploader

(but, it does look like from the tests above, you get apploader with the device OS)

--and finally, apploader does EVERYTHING, backup, 3rd party backups and OS backup and all info backup....

and restore of course.

This means you dont even NEED DM , just the device OS with apploader that comes with the device OS already,

correct?

so, what versions should I be using on DM and device OS?

any other advice would be helpful as well. Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Al
    Last edited by surfbug; 09-07-09 at 10:08 PM.
    09-07-09 09:26 PM
    The icon your referring to is Loader.exe not apploader. I use the DM to do a backup and thats it. I use the Loader.exe method. You dont need the desktop manager but its a nice thing to have if you want to do a backup.

Why are you going to use crackmem? All you need is the OS and your BB plugged in.
    09-07-09 10:21 PM
    my bad---loader.exe

I have DM...but it seems like I dont need it, from reading this thread.

crackmem seems to have everything on a nice interface, got that idea from other upgrade threads

seems like there is many ways to skin a cat here.

as long as you...
    sync your contacts to outlook
    back up the OS
    back up 3rd party apps

so do I have to change DM ? or is DM 5.0 ok to use...
    09-07-09 10:44 PM
    some have had "issues" with DM 5.0. Not me, I use the latest leak and it works fine.
    09-08-09 12:13 AM
    I have used the Loader.exe to upgrade my phone and it has worked each time including loading my contacts. But I always wondered why do I have to downgrade DM 5.0 to 4.6 before upgrading...now I know I don't have to downgrade.
    09-11-09 09:09 PM

Why are you going to use crackmem? All you need is the OS and your BB plugged in.
    CrackMem, the free memory optimization utility programs created by Moderator Pete6, compliments the capabilities of Applications Loader.

It will deal the items that Applications Loader can not handle, like the pre-installed Videos and Wallpaper images, Vendor specific themes, addons and that pesky vendor.xml file. All the smart upgraders have it installed.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/

09-13-09 06:06 PM
    CrackMem, the free memory optimization utility programs created by Moderator Pete6, compliments the capabilities of Applications Loader.

It will deal the items that Applications Loader can not handle, like the pre-installed Videos and Wallpaper images, Vendor specific themes, addons and that pesky vendor.xml file. All the smart upgraders have it installed.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/

I didnt say there was no need for it I was just wondering why the person was going to be using it to just do an OS update. They seemed to list things that were not needed or redundant when all they were trying to do was update.
    09-13-09 06:45 PM
    I have a shortcut to loader.exe on my desktop because I use it all the time to load changes I've made to my OS.
    09-16-09 03:55 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD