I know this is gonna seem redundant but with all the problems people are having updating there BB's I think this needs to be brought up again. This process DOES NOT USE the DESKTOP MANAGER to update your OS. If you follow this process you should not have any issues. I have done this 30+ times with the same result everytime. OS loaded perfect the first time around each and every time. If this process doesnt work feel free to PM me with questions.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...system-208714/
    08-23-09 12:41 PM
    I always use this method for OS upgrades.

I do believe that you must have Desktop Manager installed on your PC to use this method though. Apploader is part of the Desktop Manager installation.
    08-23-09 01:17 PM
    I always use this method for OS upgrades.

I do believe that you must have Desktop Manager installed on your PC to use this method though. Apploader is part of the Desktop Manager installation.
    Apploader button = using the desktop manager
    Loader icon = not using the desktop manager

Ive always had the desktop manager installed on my pc when using the loader method. So I dont if you need it or not in order to be able to use this. I do know that in order to stop the mass confusion thats happening you should minimize or close the desktop manger when using the Loader method.

This is the only method that I use now. I used the desktop manager method the first couple times and when I learned the Loader icon way Ive never gone back to the desktop manager to update any OS.

Some might disagree with me but its been the easiest and most reliable way to update the OS.
    08-23-09 01:23 PM
    Well, I have also noticed that when using the loader method, it will ask you to close the DM. So, I wonder if it is a part of DM or not... Got me thinking now. lol
    08-23-09 01:34 PM
    Well, I have also noticed that when using the loader method, it will ask you to close the DM. So, I wonder if it is a part of DM or not... Got me thinking now. lol
    ive always closed mine or just minimized it. The only time I get asked to close desktop manager it is if im uninstalling an OS from my computer.
    08-23-09 01:55 PM
    HELP!!! Just upgraded to 4.5 and lost my address book My media files are OK (pix, tones, etc.) and everything else seems to be working all right too (apps 'n stuff). No idea what went wrong. I thought I'd followed your directions to the t, but I obviously didn't. Opened the DM and tried to restore, but got two messages: first said the data weren't accessible (or something like that) and the second said something about not being able to retrieve read-only files. Please tell me there's some way to get the address book back ....
    08-27-09 03:19 PM
    Before you loaded the OS did you do a backup of all your data?
    08-27-09 03:21 PM
    Have you tested this, without installing BlackBerry Desktop Manager?

The whole point of an upgrade is to carry forward all of the data, settings and third party applications to a new version of the device software.

Without BlackBerry Desktop Manager, no backup, no restore, no device swap for the third party apps.

08-27-09 03:35 PM

The whole point of an upgrade is to carry forward all of the data, settings and third party applications to a new version of the device software.

Without BlackBerry Desktop Manager, no backup, no restore, no device swap for the third party apps.

He's just providing a pointer to CX's tutorial for using Apploader directly to upgrade your OS. It works quite well.

Ok Paul, you seem determined to get a sticky eh? Well I'll do it under one condition, you need to keep up with this thread and help folks with the method.
    08-27-09 03:51 PM
    He's just providing a pointer to CX's tutorial for using Apploader directly to upgrade your OS. It works quite well.

Ok Paul, you seem determined to get a sticky eh? Well I'll do it under one condition, you need to keep up with this thread and help folks with the method.

Thanks PK

Oh and I have no problem keeping up on this one. I seem to be everywhere theses days!
    08-27-09 03:55 PM
    for anything, because it always reinstall an IT policy on my berry. I have been using the apploader for awhile now. It really it is easy and quite simple for an upgrade or downgrade, go to my computer/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader and viola. It gives one the option to back up files. As has been previously stated you must have DM in order to have apploader, but you do not have to open the DM to use the apploader. Nice sticky.
    08-27-09 04:04 PM

Good news everyone!...

Loader is totaly self-contained, there is no dependence on BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

I conducted this test without BlackBerry Desktop Manger, it worked perfectly. Data, settings and third party applications have been carried forward, a perfect upgrade.

Now we know for sure.
    08-27-09 05:41 PM
    Thx for the experiment Reed.

I'm a little surprised, but that might explain why Application Loader in Desktop Manager often won't work, but using loader.exe does.

So now the burning question is, where does loader.exe come from? Which install process puts the loader.exe file on the computer?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xliderider; 08-27-09 at 05:48 PM.
    08-27-09 05:46 PM
    Thx for the experiment Reed.

I'm a little surprised, but that might explain why Application Loader in Desktop Manager often won't work, but using loader.exe does.

So now the burning question is, where does loader.exe come from? Which install process puts the loader.exe file on the computer?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Doesnt it come with each and every OS?
    08-27-09 06:14 PM
    I removed BlackBerry Desktop Manager, including the USB drivers for Windows XP, then checked to be sure the ...\research in motion directory was erased.

Loader.exe is part of the Device OS install.
    08-27-09 06:29 PM
    I removed BlackBerry Desktop Manager, including the USB drivers for Windows XP, then checked to be sure the ...\research in motion directory was erased.

Loader.exe is part of the Device OS install.
    Thanks for confirming this Reed!
    08-27-09 07:04 PM
    haha never knew i didnt need desktop manager, eh o wells, backup and everything all in one go with dm
    08-27-09 07:49 PM
    haha never knew i didnt need desktop manager, eh o wells, backup and everything all in one go with dm
    everything gets backed up with this method also.
    08-27-09 08:51 PM
    I can see I shoulda checked in again last night, especially since I started the issue of losing my contacts/address book when I upgraded to the 4.5 OS. Yes, DM was running at the time, but I didn't use its App Loader. I used the loader.exe process Paul outlined. I got to the Wizard screen asking if I wanted to back up and restore my device's data and I said yes to automatic back-up before loading and to restoring all content after loading. I also got the updating-your-device screen that Reed pasted in. As I said yesterday, everything else is great in version 4.5, including all my third party apps. I just lost my contacts ....
    08-28-09 12:55 PM
    I can see I shoulda checked in again last night, especially since I started the issue of losing my contacts/address book when I upgraded to the 4.5 OS. Yes, DM was running at the time, but I didn't use its App Loader. I used the loader.exe process Paul outlined. I got to the Wizard screen asking if I wanted to back up and restore my device's data and I said yes to automatic back-up before loading and to restoring all content after loading. I also got the updating-your-device screen that Reed pasted in. As I said yesterday, everything else is great in version 4.5, including all my third party apps. I just lost my contacts ....
    Youve done a backup of your device before via DM right? You should be able to load it from there.
    Last edited by paulwright1; 08-28-09 at 01:37 PM.
    08-28-09 01:16 PM
    I did back up the stuff on the BB and got most of my contacts back through the DM restore (obviously need to back up more often) -- but I'm still confused about why everything would survive the OS upgrade except the contacts. Any idea?
    08-28-09 01:52 PM
    I did back up the stuff on the BB and got most of my contacts back through the DM restore (obviously need to back up more often) -- but I'm still confused about why everything would survive the OS upgrade except the contacts. Any idea?
    Not really sure. I do a weekly backup of my data via the DM just in case something gets fubarred during the process or if I loose my phone. Just do a backup more often.

This process should create a backup for all data. Ive never had to do a restore when using this method. Everything loads for me.
    08-28-09 02:04 PM
    blnicholson, look for a loaderbackup(date).ipd file in your My Documents folder. If you have one from the date that you lost your contacts doing the upgrade, then you should be able to restore them using the loaderbackup.ipd file.

Use the Advanced option in Backup/Restore to just restore the Address Book database to your BB.
    08-28-09 02:05 PM
    Will do. Thanks everybody :-)
    08-28-09 04:22 PM
    Will do. Thanks everybody :-)
    good luck. Hope you get it to work.
    08-29-09 10:12 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD