The camera flash light of my Blackberry won't turn off even if I turn the device completely off. It only turns off if I take the battery off... Does anyone know if there is a way I can manually turn this off, or is my Blackberry doomed so I need to go to technical support? I've never dropped it or anything, thanks!
    02-22-09 06:09 PM
    When you put the battery back in go to your camera settings and make sure under options FLASH is on AUTO or OFF. If set to ON while taking video for instance it will stay on, not sure if it stays on after closing the video/camera function down but give that a check
    02-22-09 06:19 PM
    When does it turn on? When you start the BB? When you use the camera?

I don't have a suggestion yet but that info caould possibly be valuable to someone else that may have one.

Good Luck!
    02-22-09 06:20 PM
    The light turns on the moment I put the battery in -- even when flash is off! I'm assuming it is a hardware problem but...I haven't not done anything to this phone... I suppose I can call AT&T and see if they'd help me? The phone is functioning fine, it's just the light but I'm worried they'll blame it on something I didn't do...
    02-22-09 06:44 PM
    Yes that is quite odd. I am not sure there is anything you could do to cause this issue other than dropping it or getting it wet, if you have not done either then no worries. Hope you get it sorted - a first for me. Maybe another CB will have some advice, You could always do an OS wipe and re-install.......
    02-22-09 06:50 PM
    If your phone is still under warranty, I'd just let AT&T replace it before messing around with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 07:25 PM
    i have the same exact problem too now. I have this ridicuouly bright light that i dont know how to turn off. At first i thought it was neat that i could use it as a flashlight. I had no idea why or how it turned on.
    03-10-09 04:50 PM
    My blackberry pearl just started doing this same thing over night. The flash bulb has turned on and will not shut off. I tried turning off the flash form the camera, but the flash stayed on. I tried turning the phone off, the phone shutdown, but the flash stayed on! And, I have tried pulling the battery, but the second I put the battery back in, the light turns on again. When I open the camera app, the funny thing is, the flash turns off, but once I close the camera app or the phone goes into standby, the flash turns back on! Does anyone have a resolution?
    05-04-09 10:04 AM
    man-0-man, my light got stuck on too. It's like a sick disease. Anyway I have done a complete wipe and reload of os. Not fixed

Any smarty pants out there with the answer to this sick problem. Thanks
    05-04-09 05:12 PM
    yea i would have to agree with that disease thing, its like h1-n1 or swan flu which ever you perfer...ugh i have two blackberry pearl 8100 both one for tmobile and one for att, my tmobile light started over night like i woke up went to check my messages and i noticed the flash light on im like wtf!?!?!? i do not know how to turn it off..then next thing i know i wake up a week later, and now my att one is doing it too but worst part is its draining my freaking battery out like crazy i cannot take it anymore i need to know how to fix my babies!!!
    05-05-09 06:46 PM
    found a fix...........I keep my phone in my front pocket but I must have leaned against something which caused the phone to compress, effectively making that wire touch something else which would make that light stay on. make sense? anywayz i took the battery out and used a small flathead screwdriver to gently pry the the casing up to relieve any tension from the phone being compressed. Worked like a charm

I didnt pry the casing apart, i just kinda flexed it up a little. There is a square hole that becomes exposed when you take the battery out, i put the head of the screwdriver in that hole and pryed a little. WA_LA fixed

Ps. I already have a new phone that was shipped out from verizon under warranty.

I can press my old phone together to create the problem again. So assuming the problem will be re-ocurring i'll just take the new phone and send this one back.

Another note: This did happen to me while I was vacationing somewhere hot (98 degrees) maybe i didnt lean against it, maybe it was a heat thing. I usually am very careful not to leave my phone in hot places though.

Superman, is it hot where you are? That would make sense, thats just too big of a coincidence. The verizon rep said it is a super rare problem that he had never heard of after being with the company for a long time.

post something if this does or does not work for you
    Last edited by ryno081; 05-06-09 at 04:13 PM.
    05-06-09 04:09 PM
    Finally a resolution that worked for me. I must have installed bad 3rd party software. I got desperate, and since my phone was shot with the flash running the battery down so fast, I NUKED my OS and reinstalled it. I've gone a week now and the phone works BETTER than new, and no flash issues!

I can't post URLs because I don't have enough posts, so I'll give you Google search keywords.

1. Wiped my device (nuked) using Crackmem: forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackmem-v2-x-released-52044

2. Reloaded the OS following the directions here: crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry

You may only want to do this as a last resort. But if you have no other options, but to pitch the phone, you may give it a try.

FYI - Don't know if it is the cause, but my phone started having the flash issue right after signing up for Fox News alerts.
    05-09-09 09:14 PM
    ya i would have to agree i did wat you said to both and ya it worked thanks man and ya i do lol
    05-15-09 05:05 PM
    Same thing happened to me as well. Will try reinstalling the OS and deleting some apps/themes.
    07-06-09 12:42 AM
    try punching it, or dropping it exactly 3 feet onto a floor, preferably hardwood
    07-06-09 01:01 AM
    Hmmm, I have this same issue on my Tour. After searching Google for this issue, I see that it affects many different models from all carriers. Seems like the pressure issue may be the culprit, I just got mine to stop after squeezing directly above the flash. I have a refurb showing up Thurs., not sure if I should swap out devices or not.
    12-08-09 09:54 PM
    where is the square hole been looking for it cant find it?
    04-22-10 07:31 AM
    I had same problem on my Curve 8900. Tried everything as per the above posts, and still the light was on. Then I went to Blackberry app world and downloaded The Light (Flashlight) and used it to toggle the light off, and now it is finally off.
    12-28-10 01:43 PM
    My husband's Blackberry Bold for AT&T is doing the same thing. Got a new one from AT&T, put old battery, memory cards etc in... flash came on in the new one. We assume it is something he downloaded. I will have to do some reading to figure out how to reinstall the operating system. If I do this will he lose all of his contact info? Thanks for the help.

Gigi
    01-25-11 02:31 PM
    The spacebar will toggle the light within the app but I doubt this will help those of you experiencing the "forever on" syndrome. Just an fyi.

01-25-11 02:38 PM
    I pulled my BB Style out of my pocket and the light was on. I haven't used the video camera that might have turned it on. I did download an app 3 days ago but it had nothing to do with the flash. I removed the battery for a good 5 minutes and replaced it. After the power up, the light was off.
    06-29-11 10:02 AM
    Finally a resolution that worked for me. I must have installed bad 3rd party software. I got desperate, and since my phone was shot with the flash running the battery down so fast, I NUKED my OS and reinstalled it. I've gone a week now and the phone works BETTER than new, and no flash issues!

I can't post URLs because I don't have enough posts, so I'll give you Google search keywords.

1. Wiped my device (nuked) using Crackmem: forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackmem-v2-x-released-52044

2. Reloaded the OS following the directions here: crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry

You may only want to do this as a last resort. But if you have no other options, but to pitch the phone, you may give it a try.

FYI - Don't know if it is the cause, but my phone started having the flash issue right after signing up for Fox News alerts.
    My flash turned onand won't turn off since I downloaded fox news app. is this just a coincedence.

09-03-11 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD