Hi,

I was having a issue today with my g/f's blackberry when she couldn't get her keyboard unlock code right and we almost went over the limit.

She handed it to me when it was past the 5 times mark and because I wasn't used to being able to see what I was inputting I got a bit confused. Lets say that her code was 1080. I started to use the ALT key to make sure the digits being inputted were numbers because her code was all numerical. Seemed logical to me.

Well luckily I worked out on the final attempt that the blackberry just wanted me to push the buttons that related to one, zero, eight and zero. It didn't necessarily want to see 1080.

Because of the scare I just backed up my own phone to my mac. I use Pocket mac sync manager and (it's been a while) it wouldn't recognise my blackberry without a code being entered in to pocket mac.
    Bells rang in my head and as an experiment I inputted the numerical code that I originally set in my blackberry (options>security options>general settings>password).
    As I suspected, it didn't work. It still didn't recognise it. So I entered it again in to Pocket mac but this time (supposing my password is 1080) I entered w, zero, x, zero.

That time it worked fine.

I haven't seen many threads panicking about this kind of issue but it was a revelation to me and I thought it might be interesting to mention it....

08-16-08 06:33 PM
    Nice info!
    08-16-08 06:40 PM
    I dunno how many people use alternative characters in their passwords- I don't cause I just saw myself screwing it up to many times. But good to know!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-08 08:02 PM
    I dunno how many people use alternative characters in their passwords- I don't cause I just saw myself screwing it up to many times. But good to know!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Well thats the point. Without even thinking about it I selected my password to be numerical and only 4 digits long. I did the same with my girlfriend when she got her blackberry. It seemed like the natural thing to do.

So, when we had that problem unlocking her phone and it started showing me what i was typing it threw me to see non-numerical digits being entered which then prompted me to try and enter the password using the ALT key which then resulted in the password being entered wrongly.
    08-16-08 08:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD